The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Seems to think too much of himself.

Seems rather boring and just not nice to talk to.

"Hi I'm the owner of...", what does he own exactly? It's not like he's ****ing Bill Gates.

Calls out too many people. When you're #1 you don't need to tell people you are the best - they know. Same thing here; if you know you're right you don't need to keep calling people out. Make your videos with the "right" information and that should be enough. Why do you then need to go bashing others?
Reply 3921
Original post by Michael XYZ
There are people out there who are easy to not like.

He is one of them.

And so are you.
Seems to think too much of himself.

Seems rather boring and just not nice to talk to.

"Hi I'm the owner of...", what does he own exactly? It's not like he's ****ing Bill Gates.

Calls out too many people. When you're #1 you don't need to tell people you are the best - they know. Same thing here; if you know you're right you don't need to keep calling people out. Make your videos with the "right" information and that should be enough. Why do you then need to go bashing others?

He is just stating that he is coming out with a pre workout product and some t-shirts. Hardly something to get mad about. He isn't claiming to be the best fitness channel. He is just pointing out the flaws in other channels. If you come out saying you have a degree when you don't (Lobliner) you deserve to get bashed. People that spread misinformation need to be called out and held accountable for because the information that they spread is harmful to others.
No it isn't harmful.

Healthcare companies coming out with drugs that kill you is harmful and can be bashed. Me saying you should do DB press instead of BB press is not harmful.

As I said, you don't need to bash people. Having your own channel is enough - if people want the so-called "truth" that he provides then watch his videos. If you don't or think he's wrong, watch TMW. No need to now to go to TMW and say they are wrong.
No it isn't harmful.

Healthcare companies coming out with drugs that kill you is harmful and can be bashed. Me saying you should do DB press instead of BB press is not harmful.

As I said, you don't need to bash people. Having your own channel is enough - if people want the so-called "truth" that he provides then watch his videos. If you don't or think he's wrong, watch TMW. No need to now to go to TMW and say they are wrong.

Something doesn't have to kill you in order to harm you. If you are wasting time and money needlessly then you are harming yourself. TMW tell people that people not to workout for over an hour or whatever because of cortisol which is wrong and makes people needlessly stress over keeping their workouts as short as possible. They therefore deserved to be bashed.
I was making fun off how you're acting like they're giving you advice that'll kill you.

Thing is Alex, you'll never agree because you're too stubborn about it. But reality is that most of their advice is good advice and the rest they willing accept is only what they have found to be true. Personally if you tell someone "My experience with X is..." then it's not wrong is it and neither is it bad advice as most of the time they're not even telling you it's the ONLY way to go about it.

We've had this argument often and as I said it's pointless as you're too stubborn to accept they give good advice. They tell you not to spend your money on supplements as only whey and creatine are any good and they tell you to focus on compound movements and free weights. If you take that advice you'll be more than fine. They also don't squat or deadlift but don't advocate against doing it either.

Louie Simmons has also written articles with things like keeping workouts to 1 hour. In some he's been rather forceful about it and acted like you MUST keep it to 1 hour. Yet I'm sure many times that's just because of his audience and potentially what he was thinking. In reality I'm certain he doesn't advocate it forcefully as many Westside lifters do more than that easily. Should Louie Simmons be bashed?
I was making fun off how you're acting like they're giving you advice that'll kill you.

Thing is Alex, you'll never agree because you're too stubborn about it. But reality is that most of their advice is good advice and the rest they willing accept is only what they have found to be true. Personally if you tell someone "My experience with X is..." then it's not wrong is it and neither is it bad advice as most of the time they're not even telling you it's the ONLY way to go about it.

We've had this argument often and as I said it's pointless as you're too stubborn to accept they give good advice. They tell you not to spend your money on supplements as only whey and creatine are any good and they tell you to focus on compound movements and free weights. If you take that advice you'll be more than fine. They also don't squat or deadlift but don't advocate against doing it either.

Louie Simmons has also written articles with things like keeping workouts to 1 hour. In some he's been rather forceful about it and acted like you MUST keep it to 1 hour. Yet I'm sure many times that's just because of his audience and potentially what he was thinking. In reality I'm certain he doesn't advocate it forcefully as many Westside lifters do more than that easily. Should Louie Simmons be bashed?

When did I imply that their advice would kill people? If Louie Simmons really says that then sure go ahead and bash him. The twins also agreed with the notion that sugar is toxic, something that has been thoroughly refuted and that upper/lower routines will leave you wiped the **** out. Some good advice on the side doesn't make up for that. I have never once said that everything they put out is bad.

If I told someone my experience with something is this it would not be wrong. However if I then used that to say that you therefore should or shouldn't do that that would be wrong. If I was in a position of high authority where people are likely to take my advice over others then it would be even more wrong especially if what I am speaking against is something that has been thoroughly researched.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3927
Lol at little Mikey calling someone stubborn.
Original post by GQ.
Lol at little Mikey calling someone stubborn.

As Meadow Soprano said in the episode of Soprano's I watch today: "Sometimes everyone is a hypocrite".
I like Ian McCarthy. Seems like a smart kid who wants to help others.
Thing about Ian Mccarthy is that his talks are so boring, he lacks charisma.

Also, he comes across as being an arrogant cock. He's coming out with stuff that Lyle Mcdonald's been talking about for years.

I did like his talk about the guy who used to work at Scivation - can't remember the guys name.
Ian's a nice guy and has the right idea, but he's so ****ing boring and difficult to watch - no presenting charisma.
I know the hodge twins talk a lot of bull****, I don't pay attention to anything they say, but damn I still watch them just to laugh, because they are ****ing hilarious
Also, have you girls found that the guys you have been with have preferred some muscle or not?

Was talking to a few friends about this and most were like "**** no!" but I'm sure that's because I train and they don't so there's that attraction to someone who works hard. I don't think very lean and muscley is a good look but some is nice. Most seemed to disagree though.

Problem is that with celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Beyonce most people out there seem to think that the ideal woman should be 'curvy' which is reinforced by the media and it seems to be a big trend in the last few years. If a woman is athletic, has a boyish figure, very slim e.t.c then they are not seen as a real woman.

This is made worst by the fact that about 56% of women and 68% of men in the UK are overweight or obese (I know that BMI is not completely accurate but still...) so being 'slim' is in the minority not to talk about being slim and having an athletic body. Also when a person is fit and lean people then start thinking that they are obsessive about their bodies, exercise and their diet (which is annoying as most people spend more time watching TV in a day than someone who goes to the gym 3-4 times a week)

Then as well there is this traditional stereotype that a woman should be weak and a man should be strong and any woman who is slightly strong is seen as a big no no. Plus I think men get jealous of a woman who is in great shape and can achieve a body that they cannot achieve (even if they look no where as bulky as a guy)

I know this is sort of true as when I read articles on celebrities who are very athletic e.g Jodie Marsh and Cameron Diaz (click and scroll down to see the comments made about her body) if you look at the comments that people make most of it is is along the line that a woman should be curvy, they look too manly e.t.c Which is hence why most women don't lift at all.

I know that by me trying to achieve the athlete/figure model look that it would put off a lot of guys and I would get a lot of negativity from people. However I do it to make me feel better about my body even if people call me bulky.
(edited 11 years ago)
To be fair I think 'curvy' is a great look. Which is why I think some female powerlifters at lower bodyweights can be incredibly hawt. Some decent BF% and squat booty = win.
Wow, that Cameron Diaz article :indiff: It's not like people can change their natural hips:waist ratio.
Original post by Becca
Wow, that Cameron Diaz article :indiff: It's not like people can change their natural hips:waist ratio.

I know that's what I thought and that is why I have a problem with the whole 'curvy' thing. Not all women are naturally curvy and if your not curvy then your not a woman. Cameron Diaz naturally has a naturally bigger waist and there is nothing she can do about and I don't understand why her waist is such a big issue to people
To be fair I think 'curvy' is a great look. Which is why I think some female powerlifters at lower bodyweights can be incredibly hawt. Some decent BF% and squat booty = win.

pics now :colone:
Original post by Sorani

I just had to say, holy **** she looks absolutely amazing. :eek:

I wish more women lifted weights if that's the result!

Good luck girls.

(sorry if this seems pervy :colondollar:)
Reply 3938
Original post by Sabertooth
I just had to say, holy **** she looks absolutely amazing. :eek:

I wish more women lifted weights if that's the result!

Good luck girls.

(sorry if this seems pervy :colondollar:)

I've posted this video of her failing at a crossfit workout before, but I find it still amusing, so:
[video="youtube_share;3Nm51jyXuVk"]http://youtu.be/3Nm51jyXuVk[/video]

She does look good (though not my ideal body), but it's more because of having low body fat, than having that much muscle (she doesn't exactly seem very strong or athletic for that matter).

The problem is most women are after body types, that are 90% down to genetics (body shape - bones, height, where your body tends to store fat), and that no amount of dieting or working out can achieve. For example Cameron Diaz could never get Kelly Brooks's body, at least without major plastic surgery (and I don't mean just boobs). In the same way, you can't become petite even with starving yourself, if you've got big bones.
---And most women don't seem to get that. Yes, it's good to have aesthetic goals, but people should focus more on being the best version of themselves they can be, as corny as that sounds, instead of trying to achieve the unattainable.
To roughly quote the ever wise WildGorillaMan; if you're build like a greyhound, then run like a greyhound, and if you're built like a ****ing gorilla, then be a gorilla and go ape****!

Also kinda related, now that everyone is wearing summer clothes, I've been seeing so many superskinny people. And I don't mean people with perfectly tanned slim legs that I'm jealous of, but girls with thighs thinner than my arm (seriously no joke, I don't know how the hell they are even able to walk) :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
That's terrible but worse is seeing a guy next to that girl with the very thin legs who has EVEN thinner legs.

I don't even know how such a thing happens.

Quick Reply

Latest