The Student Room Group

The hard integral thread.

Scroll to see replies

@Zacken @SeanFM @Kummer @atsruser

Showing all your working, demonstrate that

111x1+x1xln(2x2+2x+12x22x+1) dx=4πarccotϕ\int_{-1}^1\frac1x\sqrt{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\ln\left(\frac{2\,x^2+2\,x+1}{2\,x^2-2\,x+1}\right)\ \mathrm dx = 4 \pi \, \text{arccot}{\sqrt{\phi}}
Original post by HapaxOromenon3

111x1+x1xln(2x2+2x+12x22x+1) dx=4πarccotϕ\int_{-1}^1\frac1x\sqrt{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\ln\left(\frac{2\,x^2+2\,x+1}{2\,x^2-2\,x+1}\right)\ \mathrm dx = 4 \pi \, \text{arccot}{\sqrt{\phi}}

In case anybody wants to try this: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/562694/integral-int-11-frac1x-sqrt-frac1x1-x-ln-left-frac2-x22-x1/565626#565626

Of course looking at the solution is cheating and breaks the requirement of "showing all your working"...

I think in the realm of integrals there is the challenging and the frankly ridiculous. This integral is the latter, although I still find the result incredible.

Original post by atsruser
This is an easy one requiring no more than A level techniques.

Show that:

01(ne)x+xex+ex+(2e)x++((n1)e)x dx=(n+1)e\displaystyle \int_0^1 (^ne)^x + xe^{x +e^x + (^2e)^x + \cdots + (^{(n-1)}e)^x} \ dx = ^{(n+1)}e

where ke^k e is the k'th tetration of ee (e.g. 3e=eee^3 e = e^{e^e})

Is the answer correct? I get the answer to be (n)e ^{(n)}e ?

Whats this. Ur homework.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm too busy to try this at the moment, but it looks like it may succumb to a x1xx \to \frac{1}{x} substitution.
Original post by ThatPerson
Is the answer correct? I get the answer to be (n)e ^{(n)}e ?

No, it's wrong. I misread my result. I'll edit.
I'm too busy to try this at the moment, but it looks like it may succumb to a x1xx \to \frac{1}{x} substitution.

It hardly "succumbs" just to that. You need to first sub t = (1-x)/(1+x), then map t -> 1/t and break the integral into two pieces, then recombine them. Next sub t = u^2 and integrate by parts, then sub u = (v-1)/(v+1). Then finally use contour integration and the residue theorem to obtain the required result.
No, it's wrong. I misread my result. I'll edit.

In that case,

First observe that ddx((ne)x)=ex+ex+(2e)x++((n1)e)x \frac{d}{dx}\left((^ne)^x\right) = e^{x +e^x + (^2e)^x + \cdots + (^{(n-1)}e)^x} . Then
01(ne)x+xex+ex+(2e)x++((n1)e)x dx=01(ne)x dx(1)+01xex+ex+(2e)x++((n1)e)x dx(2)\displaystyle \int_0^1 (^ne)^x + xe^{x +e^x + (^2e)^x + \cdots + (^{(n-1)}e)^x} \ dx = \underbrace{ \int_0^1 (^ne)^x\ \mathrm{d}x}_{(1)} + \underbrace{\int_{0}^{1} xe^{x +e^x + (^2e)^x + \cdots + (^{(n-1)}e)^x}\ \mathrm{d}x}_{(2)}

Now consider (2). Use I.B.P (differentiate xx and integrate the exponential term), then

01(ne)x dx+[x(ne)x]0101(ne)x dx=[x(ne)x]01= ne \displaystyle \int_0^1 (^ne)^x\ \mathrm{d}x + \big[x (^ne)^x\big]_{0}^{1} - \int_0^1 (^ne)^x\ \mathrm{d}x = \big[x (^ne)^x\big]_{0}^{1} =\ ^ne as required.
(edited 7 years ago)
In that case,

First observe that ddx((ne)x)=ex+ex+(2e)x++((n1)e)x \frac{d}{dx}\left((^ne)^x\right) = e^{x +e^x + (^2e)^x + \cdots + (^{(n-1)}e)^x} . Then
01(ne)x+xex+ex+(2e)x++((n1)e)x dx=01(ne)x dx(1)+01xex+ex+(2e)x++((n1)e)x dx(2)\displaystyle \int_0^1 (^ne)^x + xe^{x +e^x + (^2e)^x + \cdots + (^{(n-1)}e)^x} \ dx = \underbrace{ \int_0^1 (^ne)^x\ \mathrm{d}x}_{(1)} + \underbrace{\int_{0}^{1} xe^{x +e^x + (^2e)^x + \cdots + (^{(n-1)}e)^x}\ \mathrm{d}x}_{(2)}

Now consider (2). Use I.B.P (differentiate xx and integrate the exponential term), then

01(ne)x dx+[x(ne)x]0101(ne)x dx=[x(ne)x]01= ne \displaystyle \int_0^1 (^ne)^x\ \mathrm{d}x + \big[x (^ne)^x\big]_{0}^{1} - \int_0^1 (^ne)^x\ \mathrm{d}x = \big[x (^ne)^x\big]_{0}^{1} =\ ^ne as required.

I agree with this but wouldnt it be easier just to note the use of the product rule in the first integral? The answer then follows straight away :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EnglishMuon
I agree with this but wouldnt it be easier just to note the use of the product rule in the first integral? The answer then follows straight away :smile:

I'm not sure what you mean by "use of the product rule" here, but, if you are familiar with the derivative of the tetrated term, then the result follows in one line by IBP on the first term:

01(ne)x dx=[x(ne)x]0101xddx(ne)x dx\displaystyle \int_0^1 (^ne)^x \ dx = [x(^ne)^x]_0^1 - \int_0^1 x \frac{d }{dx} (^ne)^x \ dx
I'm not sure what you mean by "use of the product rule" here, but, if you are familiar with the derivative of the tetrated term, then the result follows in one line by IBP on the first term:

01(ne)x dx=[x(ne)x]0101xddx(ne)x dx\displaystyle \int_0^1 (^ne)^x \ dx = [x(^ne)^x]_0^1 - \int_0^1 x \frac{d }{dx} (^ne)^x \ dx

As in [br]ddx(f(x)g(x))=f(x)g(x)+g(x)f(x) [br]\dfrac{d}{dx}(f(x)g(x)) = f'(x)g(x)+g(x)f'(x) ? :smile: so just observing that if we let f(x)=x,g(x)=(ne)x f(x) = x ,g(x) = (^ne)^x we get the integral in the question i.e. we can just eval. x(ne)x x (^ne)^x between 0 and 1.

lol sorry if being really dumb or something XD

Yeah that would've been cleaner, but the thought didn't cross my mind since my immediate thought once I recognised the derivative was IBP.
Evaluate 0π2arctan(cos2x) dx \displaystyle \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \arctan{\left(\cos^2{x}\right)}\ \mathrm{d}x
Evaluate 0π2arctan(cos2x) dx \displaystyle \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \arctan{\left(\cos^2{x}\right)}\ \mathrm{d}x

If I(α)=0π/2arctan(αcos2x)dx\displaystyle I(\alpha) = \int_0^{\pi/2} \arctan (\alpha \cos^2 x) \, \mathrm{d}x then:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*} I'(\alpha) &= \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\cos^2 x}{1 + \alpha^2 \cos^4 x} \, \mathrm{d}x \\ & = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sec^2 x}{\sec^4 x + \alpha^2} \, \mathrm{d}x \\ & \stackrel{t = \tan x}{=} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{d}t}{(1 + t^2)^2 + \alpha^2} \\ & = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{t^4 + 2t^2 + \alpha^2 + 1}\end{align*}

is about as far as I can get. I was considering a t1tt \mapsto \frac{1}{t} sub but that doesn't seem to get it to yield.
Original post by Zacken
If I(α)=0π/2arctan(αcos2x)dx\displaystyle I(\alpha) = \int_0^{\pi/2} \arctan (\alpha \cos^2 x) \, \mathrm{d}x then:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*} I'(\alpha) &= \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\cos^2 x}{1 + \alpha^2 \cos^4 x} \, \mathrm{d}x \\ & = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sec^2 x}{\sec^4 x + \alpha^2} \, \mathrm{d}x \\ & \stackrel{t = \tan x}{=} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{d}t}{(1 + t^2)^2 + \alpha^2} \\ & = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{t^4 + 2t^2 + \alpha^2 + 1}\end{align*}

is about as far as I can get. I was considering a t1tt \mapsto \frac{1}{t} sub but that doesn't seem to get it to yield.

Cant u do some u=t^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Show that:

0xtanh(αx)sech(αx) dx=π2α2\displaystyle \int_0^\infty x \tanh(\alpha x) \text{sech}(\alpha x) \ dx = \frac{\pi}{2 \alpha^2}

I'll put up a solution on Sat 2 if no one has done it by then.
As in [br]ddx(f(x)g(x))=f(x)g(x)+g(x)f(x) [br]\dfrac{d}{dx}(f(x)g(x)) = f'(x)g(x)+g(x)f'(x) ? :smile: so just observing that if we let f(x)=x,g(x)=(ne)x f(x) = x ,g(x) = (^ne)^x we get the integral in the question i.e. we can just eval. x(ne)x x (^ne)^x between 0 and 1.

lol sorry if being really dumb or something XD

Right. I see what you mean - that is essentially equivalent to the IBP approach that I suggested, so it's fine. The real trick to this problem is to recognise the derivative - there's nothing else to it, really.
Right. I see what you mean - that is essentially equivalent to the IBP approach that I suggested, so it's fine. The real trick to this problem is to recognise the derivative - there's nothing else to it, really.

ah ok, I see. Sorry Im not very good at english so wasnt trying to be awkward :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest