The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3280
Original post by aliphatic
Also, are exercises I've been doing on the mats in the gym completely redundant here? Such as donkey kicks, bicycle crunches and planks etc etc? Or am I best just sticking to more stuff with weights?

Planks are good, but otherwise those kind of exercises are pretty useless unless you use them as a conditioning tool (the Nike Training Club class I got to is essentially 45min of non-stop moving, with 1min/exercise such as pushups, bicycle crunches, purbees, lunges etc.), but for building strength and mass(=definition) they not really effective.
(edited 12 years ago)
They are discussing goals in musclebuilding soc atm, what were people's goals for 2011? Have you met them? What are your goals for 2012 going to be?

Me:
Original post by Becca

Goals for 2011

AT LEAST
Bench: 1 x 50kg at some point. Just want to slap those yellow 15kg discs on :p:
Deads: 1 x 110kg
Squats: 1 x 70kg
Strict Press: 1 x 30kg

I also want to lose some fat. Currently weigh 78kg, would like to get that down to 68kg and hopefully that will give me a bit of definition.

Bench I got, but I don't know when I'll next bench again!
Deadlifts I broke - 1 x 115kg
Squats I broke - 1 x 85kg so far
Strict press I broke but can't think what.

I weigh approx the same but definitely have lost fat!

Goals for 2012: Qualify for Norwegian weightlifting champs by achieving at least 103kg total in 75kg category - looking at 47ish in snatch maybe and 57ish in clean and jerk?
Over 100kg squat

Not really that bothered about the powerlifts anymore. I just want to get better at weightlifting.
We did some flexibility testing in PE today and my scores were pathetic (I got MINUS 5 in the sit and reach test) so that would be a goal.

So all my fitness goals will be ...

- Improve flexibility (aim for 25 on the sit and reach test maybe)
- Improve cardiovascular fitness (do more interval and steady state cardio)
- Lift consistently (Ive forgot about my log and started missing sessions which isnt good!)
- Make divisional squad (Rugby)
- Through lifting consistently I think 60kg Squat, 80 kg DL and 40kg Bench by the end of 2012 (Im not sure how realistic due to other commitments and being a wimp but its something to aim for)
- See a visible improvement in Body composition
- Stay injury free!

I didnt really have goals for this year except get into lifting and rugby orientated goals so nothing to really look back on.
Reply 3283
Original post by Becca
They are discussing goals in musclebuilding soc atm, what were people's goals for 2011? Have you met them? What are your goals for 2012 going to be?

Me:

Bench I got, but I don't know when I'll next bench again!
Deadlifts I broke - 1 x 115kg
Squats I broke - 1 x 85kg so far
Strict press I broke but can't think what.

I weigh approx the same but definitely have lost fat!

Goals for 2012: Qualify for Norwegian weightlifting champs by achieving at least 103kg total in 75kg category - looking at 47ish in snatch maybe and 57ish in clean and jerk?
Over 100kg squat

Not really that bothered about the powerlifts anymore. I just want to get better at weightlifting.

You must be so proud! Had you even started training oly lifts this time last year? I remember when you were doing goblet squats because the barbell hurt your shoulders and now you're squatting above bodyweight :love:

Original post by rlw31
Training goals for 2010 were:
Squat 100kg
Deadlift 120kg

I got:
Squat 90kg
Deadlift 105kg
Bench 50kg

I'd like to be able to train consistently this coming year, something that I haven't always been able to do for one reason or another this year. I'd also like to seriously get into rugby which is something I started late this year and quite enjoyed.

2011 goals:
Squat 110kg
Bench 65kg
Deadlift 130kg

All 1rm maxes

Lololol, I still haven't hit 2010's goals let alone 2011's :ashamed2: I think my best this year were 80/85kg squat, 45kg bench both for reps I think and I pulled 105kg for a set of five. I've got into boxing as opposed to rugby as well.
Reply 3284
From time to time I really wish I was just working to pay the bills, and then spending all my time getting fitter and enjoying life in general. I just feel guilty (and the parents aren't helping) about not focusing enough on my studies... I really like physics, but there are a lot of things that I like more (something that is not true for many of my course mates..)
Or just working with something to do with fitness and sport (boxing or lifting mainly). At the moment I'm really interested in medical physics&engineering, and I can see that as a field, where I could move more towards applied physics, medicine, sports science etc.

As for goals, maybe it's better to talk about plans instead, for 2012 and beyond:
- get down to 60kg for January, stay there
- get fit as ****
- go box at BUCS in January
- get more sparring experience, and then destroy Cambridge in February
- get a BWL membership, for lifting at Bethnal Green and possibly other places (January AND April courses are already full, so I'll be getting coaching elsewhere)
- After boxing season ends around March-April, focus on olympic lifting
- learn to run with proper form and get a semi-permanent running routine going

As for individual lifts, I don't really care that much. Breaking the magic 100kg for squat and dl would be nice, but I want to develop (explosive) power through the oly lifts, rather than strength with powerlifting. I will definitely still continue to squat and deadlift, but hopefully get to focus on the oly lifts more. As for them, no real numbers, getting good technique is the priority for at least the first half of 2012.
Not quite fitting in with the lifting, but over the past few weeks I've been focussing on weightloss (mainly as I failed to fit training in). 1 stone down + about a dress size :yy:

I should sooo get some progress pics...

Next goal: Schedule some training of some sort into my life.
Original post by Becca

Original post by MissLightyear

Original post by rlw31

Original post by aivi

Think I've repped you all too recently but just wanted to congratulate all of you :yep: I have been keeping up despite not doing any of it myself lately.

Good work all :top:
Reply 3287
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Think I've repped you all too recently but just wanted to congratulate all of you :yep: I have been keeping up despite not doing any of it myself lately.

Good work all :top:

Lol, I just tried to rep you for your weightloss!
I haven't lifted since May. :facepalm2:

I guess my main aim is to go back to the gym after my exams in January and just take it from there.

I'm thinking of doing SS properly this time around, as in with Power Cleans instead of rows.

Would you say it's 'safe'/easy to learn power cleans on your own or should I just stick with rows?
Reply 3289
Original post by sleekchic

I guess my main aim is to go back to the gym after my exams in January and just take it from there.

I'm thinking of doing SS properly this time around, as in with Power Cleans instead of rows.

Would you say it's 'safe'/easy to learn power cleans on your own or should I just stick with rows?

I wouldn't say it's easy, but I don't think it's impossible to learn on your own, definitely worth a go if you have access to training plates.
Original post by rlw31
I wouldn't say it's easy, but I don't think it's impossible to learn on your own, definitely worth a go if you have access to training plates.

No the gym only has normal plates.
Original post by rlw31
Lol, I just tried to rep you for your weightloss!

:tongue: thanks.

If I lose a bit more I'm going to be gagging to get back in the gym.
Reply 3292
No the gym only has normal plates.

That'd make it more difficult, maybe you can use blocks to simulate the height.
Thank you for the links rlw31, I have a set of adjustable dumbells, what would you say is a reasonable weight to start off with??
Original post by rlw31
That'd make it more difficult, maybe you can use blocks to simulate the height.

It's quite a small gym and the rack/plates is in a tiny room so that's unlikely but I'll try to sort something out when I go back to the gym.
Reply 3295
Original post by Anonymous555
Thank you for the links rlw31, I have a set of adjustable dumbells, what would you say is a reasonable weight to start off with??

Start with the lightest and go from there.

It's quite a small gym and the rack/plates is in a tiny room so that's unlikely but I'll try to sort something out when I go back to the gym.

Aw, that sucks.
Original post by rlw31
You must be so proud! Had you even started training oly lifts this time last year? I remember when you were doing goblet squats because the barbell hurt your shoulders and now you're squatting above bodyweight :love:
Lololol, I still haven't hit 2010's goals let alone 2011's :ashamed2: I think my best this year were 80/85kg squat, 45kg bench both for reps I think and I pulled 105kg for a set of five. I've got into boxing as opposed to rugby as well.

I didn't start any type of oly lifting til about April/May I think! I remember the days of not being able to use the barbell...I have come a long way :moon: :p:
I wish you would get some regular gym training in you because even though you don't lift very often your numbers are still really really good. I'd love to see what you could achieve if you trained 3-4 times a week for a prolonged period!!

Original post by aivi
From time to time I really wish I was just working to pay the bills, and then spending all my time getting fitter and enjoying life in general. I just feel guilty (and the parents aren't helping) about not focusing enough on my studies... I really like physics, but there are a lot of things that I like more (something that is not true for many of my course mates..)
Or just working with something to do with fitness and sport (boxing or lifting mainly). At the moment I'm really interested in medical physics&engineering, and I can see that as a field, where I could move more towards applied physics, medicine, sports science etc.

As for goals, maybe it's better to talk about plans instead, for 2012 and beyond:
- get down to 60kg for January, stay there
- get fit as ****
- go box at BUCS in January
- get more sparring experience, and then destroy Cambridge in February
- get a BWL membership, for lifting at Bethnal Green and possibly other places (January AND April courses are already full, so I'll be getting coaching elsewhere)
- After boxing season ends around March-April, focus on olympic lifting
- learn to run with proper form and get a semi-permanent running routine going

As for individual lifts, I don't really care that much. Breaking the magic 100kg for squat and dl would be nice, but I want to develop (explosive) power through the oly lifts, rather than strength with powerlifting. I will definitely still continue to squat and deadlift, but hopefully get to focus on the oly lifts more. As for them, no real numbers, getting good technique is the priority for at least the first half of 2012.

Can't believe BGWC is full in April already!! What's your plan for getting down to 60kg? How far have you got to go?

Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Not quite fitting in with the lifting, but over the past few weeks I've been focussing on weightloss (mainly as I failed to fit training in). 1 stone down + about a dress size :yy:

I should sooo get some progress pics...

Next goal: Schedule some training of some sort into my life.

Yay you're alive! Congrats on the weight loss :biggrin: Now get lifting again :fuhrer:

Personally I'd like to have some kind of feedback on power cleans, be it in person or by filming it. It's definitely possible to learn them alone though.
Original post by Becca
I didn't start any type of oly lifting til about April/May I think! I remember the days of not being able to use the barbell...I have come a long way :moon: :p:

I remember after my first few sessions when i was sqatting like 35/40kg and couldn't work out to stop the barbell really hurting my shoulders.

I even used the maxipad one time as the guy i was working in with was using it...:colondollar:

Well seems i won't hit all my end of year goals though as i have exams for a week, training for a week and then holiday/home for xmas so won't be lifting... :frown:
Original post by MHorman

I even used the maxipad one time as the guy i was working in with was using it...:colondollar:

Did it not irritate your Vaguyna?
Original post by Becca

Yay you're alive! Congrats on the weight loss :biggrin: Now get lifting again :fuhrer:

Mmm, my bad for being so unorganized.

Although I am incredibly excited that there may be a small chance of joining a recreational gymnastics club soon :rave:

Maybe I'll look into joining a different gym too.

Quick Reply

Latest