The Student Room Group

Pharmacy applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys! I'm a gap year student applying for Pharmacy, I got AAB in Biology, Maths, and Chemistry this summer and I want to apply to UEA, Bath, Nottingham, King's, Cardiff :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by QueenVic92
Hey guys! I'm a gap year student applying for Pharmacy, I got AAB in Biology, Maths, and Chemistry this summer and I want to apply to UEA, Bath, Nottingham, King's, Cardiff :smile:

Hiya :smile: how's your gap year going? I'm considering taking one but am totally unsure
Original post by ALevelGirl
Hiya :smile: how's your gap year going? I'm considering taking one but am totally unsure

Umm, well it's only just started so not much yet :tongue: but I've just got a part time job, saving up for a trip to New York soon, and hopefully lots of other stuff :smile: but I'm not particularly organised! I know a few people going to Africa and stuff, which sounds really cool :biggrin: Everyone I know who has had a gap year has told me it's an awesome experience, I think you should definitely consider it :smile:
Reply 63
Umm, well it's only just started so not much yet :tongue: but I've just got a part time job, saving up for a trip to New York soon, and hopefully lots of other stuff :smile: but I'm not particularly organised! I know a few people going to Africa and stuff, which sounds really cool :biggrin: Everyone I know who has had a gap year has told me it's an awesome experience, I think you should definitely consider it :smile:

Reply 64

Woo fellow gap year applicant!! :hi:
I'm also applying to Nottingham, Bath & King's! My other two choices are Brighton & Reading :smile:
Which is your first choice, if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
i want to apply to bradford, manchester, huddersfield and bath not sure yet tho :frown:
Original post by Andrii
Woo fellow gap year applicant!! :hi:
I'm also applying to Nottingham, Bath & King's! My other two choices are Brighton & Reading :smile:
Which is your first choice, if you don't mind me asking?

Yay! I hoped I wouldn't be the only one :biggrin: Ahh that's awesome, you obviously have great taste :tongue: I think my first choice is either Nottingham or UEA, but I haven't quite decided yet, what about you? :smile:
Reply 67
I am applying for Cardiff, Bath, LSoP and Nottingham (just have to work out my 5th choice!)
I got AAAAC for AS: Bio, Chem, Maths, Art (which I have now dropped) and General Studies (which I wish I could drop).
So worried about personal statement/lack of work experience now :confused:
Hoping to apply to Bath, Cardiff, East Anglia, Strathclyde and I'm not sure what I'm doing for my last option. So flipping nervous about applying though. I need at least another few years to get used to the idea. :lol: Looking around for work experience at the moment, proving rather difficult to organise one in a hospital. And so begins my tour of Britain going round open days. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Yay! I hoped I wouldn't be the only one :biggrin: Ahh that's awesome, you obviously have great taste :tongue: I think my first choice is either Nottingham or UEA, but I haven't quite decided yet, what about you? :smile:

Same here! What have you got planned for the year? :smile:
Why thank you, I can say the same about you-a truly discerning taste in unis :wink:
99.9% sure my first choice is Nottingham but there's plenty of time yet to change my mind. Still have quite a few open days to attend :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by supersping
Say I get a C in Chemistry overall next year, even through clearing will any uni's look at me if i get say BB in bio and maths?

In short, no. Chemistry is the one A level you need at least a B in, and with every uni raising their entry requirements (Medway is now ABB, for example) that B in chemistry is a must. Have you considered ways of raising your grade, retakes, a tutor etc. ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Freiheit
Were the interviews at UEA and Brighton difficult? What predicted and AS grades did you have?

Thanks

UEA was easy, they just asked me why UEA, why Pharmacy, little chat about my personal statement.
I declined Brighton after deciding it wasn't the uni for me, though i've heard their interview consists of a few group work exercises. A little handwry itten quiz was also presented.

One tip for interviews, only talk about subjects you fee comfortable with. Be prepared to elaborate in detail on any topics you mention. For example, I dropped a comment at one interview about NHS reform, I was quizzed further on this, and didn't really have a clue :rolleyes:
Reply 72
Original post by TimBlanchard
UEA was easy, they just asked me why UEA, why Pharmacy, little chat about my personal statement.
I declined Brighton after deciding it wasn't the uni for me, though i've heard their interview consists of a few group work exercises. A little handwry itten quiz was also presented.

One tip for interviews, only talk about subjects you fee comfortable with. Be prepared to elaborate in detail on any topics you mention. For example, I dropped a comment at one interview about NHS reform, I was quizzed further on this, and didn't really have a clue :rolleyes:

I am lucky that the interviews appear to be easier than I first expected. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 73
GCSE's
Physics - A
Chem - A
Bio - A
Maths - A*
Geog - A
French - A
Business - A
Statistics - A
Eng Lit - A
Eng Lang - A

GCSE short course
R.S - A
Sport - A

A.S Levels
Biology - B
Maths - B
Chem - C

Do you think i could still apply to pharmacy with these grades? I think my AS levels let me down quite a bit, especially chemisry but i'm looking at re-sitting this in January.
Reply 74
how many applicants are there for one place?
I got a D in chemistry (C and E in two papers and a C in coursework) i was almost a B in the first paper, I am going to retake the C and E in jan and aim to bring it up to an overall of B, even if I get a C i can bring that up with determination in a2 right? do you think if I apply for the uni's for 2012 entry I have a chance of getting offers?

My other AS results were:
A in maths
C in biology (near a B)
C Punjabi

GCSE results:
A* maths
A chem
A bio
B physics
A german
A* and A - ICT
A R.E
Eng Lit A
Eng Lang A
Business Studies B
Punjabi C

Level 2- preperation for working life

I would like to apply for Portsmouth, Reading, Medway, Brighton and possibly Keele
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by charb16
GCSE's
Physics - A
Chem - A
Bio - A
Maths - A*
Geog - A
French - A
Business - A
Statistics - A
Eng Lit - A
Eng Lang - A

GCSE short course
R.S - A
Sport - A

A.S Levels
Biology - B
Maths - B
Chem - C

Do you think i could still apply to pharmacy with these grades? I think my AS levels let me down quite a bit, especially chemisry but i'm looking at re-sitting this in January.

Hi! You have a much better shot at it than me! I got ACCD ( Maths, Bio, ICT, Chem respectively) going to be retaking a few modules

gutted with my D though as i got CCE in the papers for chem, do you think the uni's will still consider my as the E let me down so if i retake i could still be in with a chance of getting an overall of a B as i was almost a B in the first paper?

But well done on your results you done well! just work hard to bring the chem grade up for definate!
what unis are you looking to apply at?
Reply 76
Original post by TimBlanchard
In short, no. Chemistry is the one A level you need at least a B in, and with every uni raising their entry requirements (Medway is now ABB, for example) that B in chemistry is a must. Have you considered ways of raising your grade, retakes, a tutor etc. ?

Thanks for the reply! Erm yeah im getting a chem tutor he'll be starting with me next week and will be retaking two papers in jan to hopefully bring the grade to a B!
I'm good at maths so am confident if i dedicate myself i can get an A in maths

so hopefully i get ABB!
Reply 77
Original post by supersping
Hi! You have a much better shot at it than me! I got ACCD ( Maths, Bio, ICT, Chem respectively) going to be retaking a few modules

gutted with my D though as i got CCE in the papers for chem, do you think the uni's will still consider my as the E let me down so if i retake i could still be in with a chance of getting an overall of a B as i was almost a B in the first paper?

But well done on your results you done well! just work hard to bring the chem grade up for definate!
what unis are you looking to apply at?

I still think you'll still be considered, it just all depends on what your teachers predict you i suppose, i'd just resit the paper you got an E on you probably will only need a high-ish B to pull the overall grade up to a B. I'm looking at applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Huddersfield, Central Lancashire, Sunderland, what about you?
Reply 78
Original post by charb16
I still think you'll still be considered, it just all depends on what your teachers predict you i suppose, i'd just resit the paper you got an E on you probably will only need a high-ish B to pull the overall grade up to a B. I'm looking at applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Huddersfield, Central Lancashire, Sunderland, what about you?

Yeah I've been predicted an A in maths and a B in biology, just waiting on my chem prediction! any tips for revision?

Oh right, I'm thinking Medway, Portsmouth, possibly Kingston or Brighton, Reading and Hertforshire
Reply 79
ok, so those of you applying for pharmacy this year, what kind of work experience have you got? i only have 1 week and don't know whether that will be enough?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending