The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UnknownPerson
Dont see people complaining about rising condom prices :biggrin:

Probably because unlike cigarettes (quite rightly) the NHS give them out for free lol
12.5g of loose tobacco is about £3.50, taste better than straights as well.
Original post by UnknownPerson
Dont see people complaining about rising condom prices :biggrin:

Since when were condom prices rising?
buy pall mall, they are only like 5 quid something.
Original post by NerdyBashir
So higher costs on cigarettes DO make people quit... that's nice.

I didn't want to quit. The way I treat my body has nothing to do with you, anyone else or the government. As an adult I wish to smoke at reasonable price and should be able to do that. It's ridiculous that so many people are priced out of a thing that they enjoy. The same thing is going to happen with alcohol as well with the 50p in the unit *******s. How are the poor supposed to enjoy themselves?
Original post by AFC1993
As If they weren't high enough, I've just heard they're going up again in October.
Time to learn how to roll :frown:

I hate rollies! Admittedly, I tried to learn and failed pretty hard (its so fiddley!). So I gave up and just bought straights and smoked a bit less haha

Original post by DaveSmith99
12.5g of loose tobacco is about £3.50, taste better than straights as well.

ewwww. NOOOOOO. So nasty haha :P
Original post by hamijack
£8 for a 20 deck
£3.50 for a 10 deck

How does that work?

You could buy 2 packs of 10 for £6, or 1 pack of 20 for £8? Buying in bulk saves you money.

Presuming typo?
Original post by The Patriot
I hate rollies! Admittedly, I tried to learn and failed pretty hard (its so fiddley!). So I gave up and just bought straights and smoked a bit less haha

ewwww. NOOOOOO. So nasty haha :P

Haha to be fair, I dont really like the taste of tobacco, just find rolling tobacco slightly more tolerable :tongue:
If only people were as pissed off about broccoli prices going up as they are about cigs, the NHS bill would drop...

The neggers have a terrible attitude.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't see what the governments logic behind this is?
Won't it just lead to more people buying on the black market and abroad, therefore lower revenue for them and more taxes for non-smokers to make up for it?!
Reply 30
Original post by The Patriot
How does that work?

You could buy 2 packs of 10 for £6, or 1 pack of 20 for £8? Buying in bulk saves you money.

Presuming typo?

Not really, I have seen places that sell them for £3.50 but most places it does cost about £4 for a 10 deck. Also depends on brand of ciggy.
Reply 31
Want a cheap and elegant solution to the problem of expensive straights?

Go to the continent, buy yourself 200g of 'rolling tobacco' for 20 Euro, buy a 'straight making machine' for £3.50 from COOP, and 100 filter tubes for £1.20. Make yourself approx 100 straights at about £5 for twenty, and about £3.50 for 20 after that.
Original post by Steevee
Want a cheap and elegant solution to the problem of expensive straights?

Go to the continent, buy yourself 200g of 'rolling tobacco' for 20 Euro, buy a 'straight making machine' for £3.50 from COOP, and 100 filter tubes for £1.20. Make yourself approx 100 straights at about £5 for twenty, and about £3.50 for 20 after that.

I've just bought a rolling machine because of your post. I just can't be bothered with rolling every time I want a fag (especially outdoors in the wind and rain). Mmmm Drum gold for me! (It tastes so lovely)

I currently smoke Gauloises at uni and Marlboro Lights at home (gauloises are actually cheaper at my SU shop), and am sick of being persecuted by the government for my choices. Soon it'll be cheaper to smoke spliffs than cigarettes!
Original post by AFC1993
As If they weren't high enough, I've just heard they're going up again in October.
Time to learn how to roll :frown:

Go to Belgium or Luxembourg on a holiday (Booze Cruise :colone:) and with the Euro weakening even more, cigarettes are going to be cheap as chips :banana:
Original post by Flying Cookie
If only people were as pissed off about broccoli prices going up as they are about cigs, the NHS bill would drop...

I get pissed off when the prices for veggies go up... like when the price of tomatoes skyrocketed during Xmas :cry2:

In the case of cigarettes I really don't give a damn, because I don't smoke. For that matter I don't even drink alcohol. Hell, I don't even drink Coke.

I'm probably straighter edged than a Helix shatter-resistant ruler... :getmecoat:
Reply 35
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
I've just bought a rolling machine because of your post. I just can't be bothered with rolling every time I want a fag (especially outdoors in the wind and rain). Mmmm Drum gold for me! (It tastes so lovely)

I currently smoke Gauloises at uni and Marlboro Lights at home (gauloises are actually cheaper at my SU shop), and am sick of being persecuted by the government for my choices. Soon it'll be cheaper to smoke spliffs than cigarettes!

Ooft, careful.

You need to buy a 'cigarette maker' not a rolling machine. The one I uses turns tobacco into straights, a rolling machine will just make a roll up, a neat one, but still a roll up.
Original post by Steevee
Ooft, careful.

You need to buy a 'cigarette maker' not a rolling machine. The one I uses turns tobacco into straights, a rolling machine will just make a roll up, a neat one, but still a roll up.

I've only ever used rolling machines... Are cigarette makers any more difficult to use? Because I don't mind rollies, just hate rolling by hand.
Original post by hamijack
Not really, I have seen places that sell them for £3.50 but most places it does cost about £4 for a 10 deck. Also depends on brand of ciggy.

Oh OK, I thought you meant strictly on the same brand haha.

I find that, usually, most brands sell £4 for 10, and £7.50-ish for 20. But like you say, it fluctuates dependent on the particular shop and brand.
Original post by wilko1991
I didn't want to quit. The way I treat my body has nothing to do with you, anyone else or the government. As an adult I wish to smoke at reasonable price and should be able to do that. It's ridiculous that so many people are priced out of a thing that they enjoy. The same thing is going to happen with alcohol as well with the 50p in the unit *******s. How are the poor supposed to enjoy themselves?

.........Seriously? Whilst obviously it'a none of our business how you treat your body, it's not as though you need to smoke, no one is making you, plus how exactly is smoking 'enjoying yourself'? If you can't afford it don't do it or shut up.

For the record, I smoke, but I recognise that's just something I choose to do and if it's expensive then it's something expensive that I choose to do, no biggie. If it bothered me that much I'd stop choosing to do it (which I will be as soon as exams are over)
Reply 39
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
I've only ever used rolling machines... Are cigarette makers any more difficult to use? Because I don't mind rollies, just hate rolling by hand.

Nahh, a toddler could use them :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending