The Student Room Group

What are your thoughts on Army 2020?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jtnf
Not quite sure how much sense it makes to reduce our armed forces so drastically. Wouldn't it have been better to reduce the Navy rather than the Army considering Afghanistan (and other such countries) are hot, dry, and land locked? Although I admit I don't know exactly what the Navy's role in Afghanistan is, apart from that of the Royal Marines.

Philip Hammond seems to be a penny pinching politician who knows absolutely nothing about military matters. I would take him about 67x more seriously if he had actually been in the forces and therefore had first hand experience of the people/equipment he is in charge of. If there was a major threat to the UK in the next 5-10 years, what exactly would HM Government do? I'm sure the remaining 82,000 people in the Army wouldn't all be infantry and wouldn't all be able to deploy at the same time. I guess we'll have to go running to America or (urgh) Europe depending on where the threat comes from.

I understand that cuts have to be made in order for us as a country to be living within our means but I seriously doubt whether the cuts to the armed forces have actually been properly thought out or whether several high powered people have simply sat in a Whitehall office with a dartboard and a few darts.

Not 100% why the Scottish regiments seem to have got off so lightly without being cut. Why didn't the Army just take people who volunteered for redundancy up on the offer rather than making people I know redundant when they didn't want to be? The whole thing seems to be a bit of a mess to me.

I'm hoping to join in a few years, so for now I'm crossing my fingers that they leave the AMS well alone.

It's not just afghanistan you got to worry about so cutting the navy will also be a problem later on in the future if stuff kicks off elsewhere.

Good luck in the future :smile: I'm looking to get out the service soon.
Reply 21
Original post by Sephiroth
We should cut the defence budget to 0 and only spend enough to maintain our nuclear arsenal. That's all the defence we need really.

That's the silliest reply so you got negged!

A Quote from the film Crimson Tide : "I just think that in the nuclear world the true enemy can't be destroyed...In my humble opinion, in the nuclear world, the true enemy is war itself" - Hunter
Reply 22
Original post by jtnf
Not quite sure how much sense it makes to reduce our armed forces so drastically. Wouldn't it have been better to reduce the Navy rather than the Army considering Afghanistan (and other such countries) are hot, dry, and land locked? Although I admit I don't know exactly what the Navy's role in Afghanistan is, apart from that of the Royal Marines.

The first UK Force that went into Afghanistan at the start of our action there was RN. And if you intend on joining the military medical services, you'll soon find out that just about every unit is joint forces, with personnel from the Army, the RAF and the RN sharing the duties.
Reply 23
Original post by Drewski
The first UK Force that went into Afghanistan at the start of our action there was RN. And if you intend on joining the military medical services, you'll soon find out that just about every unit is joint forces, with personnel from the Army, the RAF and the RN sharing the duties.

Like I said, I didn't know what their role was. Thanks for informing me :smile:
Original post by ajp100688
x
Find it a little bit concerning that you describe 'occupying lesser nations' as a reason to need a strong military. :K:

Russia is probably the only nation that I would concede has sufficient geographic proximity, size and inclination to present a serious conventional militarily threat to us, but it's really an issue for NATO to handle as a whole. Let's be honest in the extremely unlikely event of an actual conventional war our conventional forces would have very limited impact compared to those of Poland or Germany. Plus Russia only actually spends slightly more than either us or France individually on defence - and that has to cover its entire vast territory.

As for the last bit I don't think we need a big military to do counter terrorism or peacekeeping. Nor does it need to be particularly well equipped. We might have to bin the idea of operations of the type and scale of Afghanistan and Iraq, but tbh I think most people would acknowledge that as a good thing.
Reply 25
Original post by MancStudent098
Find it a little bit concerning that you describe 'occupying lesser nations' as a reason to need a strong military. :K:

Russia is probably the only nation that I would concede has sufficient geographic proximity, size and inclination to present a serious conventional militarily threat to us, but it's really an issue for NATO to handle as a whole. Let's be honest in the extremely unlikely event of an actual conventional war our conventional forces would have very limited impact compared to those of Poland or Germany. Plus Russia only actually spends slightly more than either us or France individually on defence - and that has to cover its entire vast territory.

As for the last bit I don't think we need a big military to do counter terrorism or peacekeeping. Nor does it need to be particularly well equipped. We might have to bin the idea of operations of the type and scale of Afghanistan and Iraq, but tbh I think most people would acknowledge that as a good thing.

Bold bit is quite debatable... but a topic for another thread, not this one.

As for the last statement... yeah, most would agree that we shouldn't do that kind of thing, certainly not if following the mould of what went before, but that does not mean our Forces won't get used for those kind of actions. The various Governments of the last 10-15yrs have all said they wanted to cut the Forces, to use them less across the world and only when of necessity... but then there they are throwing them at every problem. It's all well and good our Gov talking a good game, but then they change their mind and send them across the world despite the cuts. Those two actions don't add up.
Army 2020? It should be called 'The Rent's Too Damn High!'.

Really though the army has been over-emphasised past decade, defence budget should be spent on navy then airforce.

Army should be relegated to territorial defence force.
Reply 27
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Really though the army has been over-emphasised past decade, defence budget should be spent on navy then airforce.

Army should be relegated to territorial defence force.

Why?
Reply 28
Original post by jtnf
Why?

Because with a strict definition of the term 'defence' then our interests are best served by an expansive Navy - we are an island after all - and Air Force capable of covering our interests around the world, with a minimum strength Army for those hopefully rare land incursions.

Though that does ignore the element of the Royal Navy that would also be expanded - the Royal Marines, giving us potent amphibious/land forces without a big Army.
Reply 29
Original post by Drewski
Because with a strict definition of the term 'defence' then our interests are best served by an expansive Navy - we are an island after all - and Air Force capable of covering our interests around the world, with a minimum strength Army for those hopefully rare land incursions.

Though that does ignore the element of the Royal Navy that would also be expanded - the Royal Marines, giving us potent amphibious/land forces without a big Army.

Damn, i can't rep you anymore...you keep hitting the nail on the head..are you in the forces by any chance?
Reply 30
Original post by Wild Horses
Damn, i can't rep you anymore...you keep hitting the nail on the head..are you in the forces by any chance?

Used to be. Intelligence, RAF.
Original post by Drewski
As for the last statement... yeah, most would agree that we shouldn't do that kind of thing, certainly not if following the mould of what went before, but that does not mean our Forces won't get used for those kind of actions. The various Governments of the last 10-15yrs have all said they wanted to cut the Forces, to use them less across the world and only when of necessity... but then there they are throwing them at every problem. It's all well and good our Gov talking a good game, but then they change their mind and send them across the world despite the cuts. Those two actions don't add up.
Have to say I agree with this paragraph, of course my solution would be to stop sending them to conflicts that there's no good reason to fight, but I more than sympathise with Armed forces that are told they don't need as much funding while they're engaged in a continuous series of overseas conflicts.
Reply 32
Original post by Drewski
Used to be. Intelligence, RAF.

Oh wow :smile: i'm army and working with griffin :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by MancStudent098
Have to say I agree with this paragraph, of course my solution would be to stop sending them to conflicts that there's no good reason to fight, but I more than sympathise with Armed forces that are told they don't need as much funding while they're engaged in a continuous series of overseas conflicts.

Exactly. The Armed Forces have, over the last decade, seen a massive increase in the 'do more with less' mantra. To a point that works. But when you go past the breaking point you end up with people dying.
Reply 34
We've been reactive in defence planning...well forever, really. The Navy was in much worse shape than this before Peyps, so these things do tend to sort themselves out over time.

As for the Army - we still have the Army for the wrong war; and probably always will. We sent our Cold War "Russians are coming" Army to fight an amphibious infantry and naval battle in the Falklands. A slimmed-down Army with most of its experience in the South Atlantic and Ulster then went to the desert and fought the mother of all armoured battles.

Now we still have a lot of heavy armour, armoured infantry and anti-tank attack capability - and we're fighting a counter-insurgency. We're not even getting the Panzers out on a regular basis in A'stan - and our formation recce is zipping about in landrovers and jackals (where available).

So should our tankies and heavy cavalry draw down? I suppose so. Do we really need more than a couple of squadrons of big tanks? I suppose not. Should we re-think what cavalry does? I suppose so.

Infantry will always be short-handed, but we are fast running out of places to put what we do have - and there is a point that if we can't fill the spaces with British soldiers, and there are large numbers of Commonwealth soldiers - those battalions have problems.

I'm also not convinced we're at the minimum levels for some of the things that haven't been much use for decades now - air defence is one, and heavy batteries is another. MLRS got made illegal on the sub-munitions front, SPGs aren't going anywhere - it's the light batteries that are being worked to death.

But no doubt - we'll make these changes for a light, fast insurgency-fighting war force in hot and mountainous Afghanistan....and then find ourselves in ten or twenty years time fighting a conventional war in essentially temperate conditions in Korea, and wonder where all our tanks and air defence went.
Reply 35
Original post by Clip
But no doubt - we'll make these changes for a light, fast insurgency-fighting war force in hot and mountainous Afghanistan....and then find ourselves in ten or twenty years time fighting a conventional war in essentially temperate conditions in Korea, and wonder where all our tanks and air defence went.

And therein lies the difficulty of Defence planning. You can speculate and speculate but at some point you've got to roll the dice.
I think it is a good place to make cuts. Perhaps future governments will be less likely to start illegal wars in far-off lands if we don't have the troops to commit?

The UK already has the fourth largest defence budget globally and yet we are a small island nation in a stable region of the world. The purpose of war is for national defence, but we haven't fought to defend our territory since the Falklands; and that relied largely on the navy and air support not the army.

Reply 37
Original post by studiousgeek
I think it is a good place to make cuts. Perhaps future governments will be less likely to start illegal wars in far-off lands if we don't have the troops to commit?

The UK already has the fourth largest defence budget globally and yet we are a small island nation in a stable region of the world. The purpose of war is for national defence, but we haven't fought to defend our territory since the Falklands; and that relied largely on the navy and air support not the army.

A major reason for our large budget is the belief that we should provide for our service personnel after they leave. The pensions, wages, health etc of the people serving/having served costs money.

And no, if anything, our Gov is more likely to want to invade places if we have a smaller force.
Reply 38
Original post by Drewski
And therein lies the difficulty of Defence planning. You can speculate and speculate but at some point you've got to roll the dice.

I would:

Get rid of the RAFRegt and RAF Police and shore police
Scrap the Army Air Corps and transfer the entire role to the RAF - even attack helicopter
Mothball HVM - it doesn't work anyway
Have only 2 MBT regiments - all the rest FR. I think we're long past the stage where we are going to be deploying a division. We're looking at realistically putting two reinforced brigades out if it came to a big fight and probably only in the same theatre.
If we're rolling the dice on anything - my big one would be Trident. I'd scrap it in favour of something cheap and air launched.
Get more destroyers and frigates.
Reply 39
Original post by ajp100688
Well yeah but that's a very narrow definition of 'defence'. That's just a reactionary 'we'll let crap go on outside and just wait until it bites us in the ass'. The problem is what occurs elsewhere in a globalised world has plenty of opportunity to affect us these days. Just like what happened in the 90s, when we sat around and let Yugoslavia tear itself to pieces because we couldn't be arsed, then both us and America half arsed attempts to get Bin Laden. The results of those decisions were genocide in Yugoslavia and 9/11. Another example of that would be the 'Glorious Isolation' of the late 19th century when we refused to interact with anything outside of the British Empire sitting behind our navy and when we finally stumbled out of that, we discovered the world had fundamentally changed to our detriment and had we had to shack up in a disastrous alliance with the French to offset what Germany had grown into while we hid behind our navy for nearly thirty years.

The navy could do sod all about a terrorist who has spent the last five years training in a failed state coming across and blowing up a dirty bomb in the centre of London. If we have evidence of such stuff happening abroad that directly affects our safety then we need an air force and army to tackle those threats. This isn't the 18th century anymore.

Well quite. But we're constantly being told we can't afford that level of 'defence', hence me saying it was a 'strict definition'.
Our money can be better spent, however. Cyber warfare, the security services, fast and light units that are highly mobile. but that requires wholesale change and direct leadership who knows what they want. Frankly, both leading political parties haven't got a clue how to do that, who to ask to learn nor any will to correct either of those two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending