The Student Room Group

who else is disgusted by young peoples attitude to the referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Razamataz666
after seeing all the calls for a new referendum and the outcry against the DEMOCRATICALLY decided election, especially, if not exclusively, from vocal young people i cant help but be disgusted at my generations lack of common sense and decency.

Saying that because we will deal with consequences longest only we should vote makes me sick. Saying that those who fought for the freedom to have this decision 70 years ago shouldn't have the RIGHT to VOTE is disgusted and highlights two things about our generation. We are ungrateful and cant take a hit. so anyone who actually believes in this nonsense of a statement i ask you one question, should you have the right to deny democracy to those who fought for that very thing? and if so why?

I agree with you. Many older people voted leave, not somehow to spite the younger generation, but because they have fought for democracy, can see that the EU doesn't provide that and because they care about us. Take a look at the story of these war veterans:

"Colin Ashford, 97, who survived the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, said: ‘Under the EU all the democratic freedom we had in the pre-war days in the 20s and 30s, all that has been eroded away by the EU.‘We want to become more of a democratic country again. ‘Lieutenant Francis Goode, 92, said: ‘I don’t want my grandchildren and their children to be subservient to a different country, we fought for freedom for Britain.’"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3651460/Grieving-family-reveal-war-veteran-s-dying-wish-post-Leave-vote-fighting-country-end.html
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You older folk voted and you're not even alive for that many years. We're the ones who have to live while the economy is ruined.

Continuing this line of thought, what moral right do you have to shape and dictate the political and economic environment of this country? After all, everyone yet to be born will have to live by the decisions made by the currently living masses.

This is exactly OP-s point. There is so much talk about unity, non-discrimination, equality and so on, yet at the same time there is nothing but utter contempt for the old and really anyone else, who's missed the progressive bandwagon. The maturity and a deeper understanding of life, which can only be obtained by age and time means nothing, while the youthful openness for change and innovation is everything.
Original post by Good bloke
When you cease to be a student and look for your first job you will be looking for somewhere to live, which is always tricky. The rental cost, or the cost to buy, your accommodation will be inflated by a significant margin because immigrants will be competing for houses and flats that might otherwise have been much more readily available to you - and they can afford to pay more than you.

A net five million people have moved into the country over the last ten years and pressure on our travel, housing and education infrastructure has vastly increased.

But the reality for loads of young people is also this one: You look for a job, preferably in your chosen field, but **** it is an international company or a really small awesome family business, but just accross the border. Hmmm, sadly one is no more allowed to emigrate there or does not get the job, because Chinese/Indians/US Americans are competing as well for those jobs and the VISA process for the British is as complicated as theirs. Or you are a young academic, where moving around Europe makes success and employment so much easier ...

(And yes, I know, how **** expensive London is, but I can assure you, that European immigrants - except from those,who would get sponsored under a tough immigration system anyway, can't afford that either. Or do you think, they get paid more than British in the same job?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nathanielle
But the reality for loads of young people is also this one: You look for a job, preferably in your chosen field, but **** it is an international company or a really small awesome family business, but just accross the border. Hmmm, sadly one is no more allowed to emigrate there or does not get the job, because Chinese/Indians/US Americans are competing as well for those jobs and the VISA process for the British is as complicated as theirs. Or you are a young academic, where moving around Europe makes success and employment so much easier ...

(And yes, I know, how **** expensive London is, but I can assure you, that European immigrants - except from those,who would get sponsored under a tough immigration system anyway, can't afford that either. Or do you think, they get paid more than British in the same job?)

You are allowed to emigrate there. If you get a job for an international company, getting a VISA is very simple. Is this your biggest fear, that you will be required to fill out a form and send it off when you decide to move to a different country in the EU? Come on, what about all of millions of workers in the UK who are having their wages lowered by cheap EU labour? Where is that money the migrants make going? Is it being reintroduced into the UK economy? No, it is being sent back home so they can buy a mansion in Romania for £25k and live like kings over there. The EU is part of a wealth redistribution agenda and it will bleed the country dry so that we are on the same level as Romania and Bulgaria. Do you think this is what is best for Britain?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You older folk voted and you're not even alive for that many years. We're the ones who have to live while the economy is ruined.

Lol.
Even the most pessimistic forecasters don't believe the economy will be worse off for many that many year.

And what about all those young people who one day want to buy a house? Had we stayed in house prices would have received yet another boost.

What is it with people that they don't seem to realise that a large part of our 'prosperity' is down to our over inflated housing market ?

I've never had less respect for the young than than I currently do.

Seriously. What a bunch of whiny,ungrateful losers they appear to be.

I certainly worry for the future of this country if young remainers are representative of the next generation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by microsoft
You are allowed to emigrate there. If you get a job for an international company, getting a VISA is very simple. Is this your biggest fear, that you will be required to fill out a form and send it off when you decide to move to a different country in the EU? Come on, what about all of millions of workers in the UK who are having their wages lowered by cheap EU labour? Where is that money the migrants make going? Is it being reintroduced into the UK economy? No, it is being sent back home so they can buy a mansion in Romania for £25k and live like kings over there. The EU is part of a wealth redistribution agenda and it will bleed the country dry so that we are on the same level as Romania and Bulgaria. Do you think this is what is best for Britain?

I was also talking about those wanted to emigrate (or just work) to other EU countries or now fear, they have them to leave. Stricter rules are also hitting British citizens. And no, before emigrating to the UK, it will be often simpler for EU citizens to work at the same international companies in e.g. Germany, higher wages - less rent - more sympathetic coworkers (not people, who vote to get rid of you), which is way I think, that in the long run, there are good chances more of the former UK jobs move to other countries, as companies want to attract the best and for that they need attractive locations. (As a lot of big companies today are located in more than one country, e.g. Rolls Royce, BOC, Airbus, etc., just switching departments from country to country is quite simple.)

Furthermore I would like to have stability for my family and work, not fearing everything can get changed every day. And stability is definitely not something the UK can offer right now or in the time my generation will set their career, that has nothing to with whether you are a British citizen or not. It counts for both. That is the point. Now, as it is (sadly) obvious the Leave campaign had no plan. (And thus probably all that, just so at the end, it will be very likely like Switzerland or Norway, just without the UK having that much power internationally....)

I think, that the UK has a lot of problems and that Romanians are the least of it. Thus I would have preferred to seen other issues addressed, right now, it is only stop immigration and let the rest be the same, because all is the Romanians fault, ... It is not the fault of the EU, that being a plumber is more attractive than being a junior doctor... and by the way, Romania has also highly qualified people. Criminals are another problem, but I think with the right police work, more cooperation across borders and strict child protection laws, that can be tackled, without punish a whole generation with no plan for the time afterwards.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lets be clear: its not just young remain voters who are suggesting we shouldn't actually leave the EU. The Leave leaders themselves have back-tracked on everything promised during the campaign as they realise to actually rid all EU regulation and stop all immigration is absolutely ****ing nuts and totally unachievable. As things stand it looks like we're going to get almost all the stuff from being in the EU (good and bad), its just that we won't have a vote in how it changes.
Why do people keep treating this like a ****ing football game

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosietaylor16
Why do people keep treating this like a ****ing football game

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way, football is way more important. :wink:
Original post by Nathanielle
I was also talking about those wanted to emigrate (or just work) to other EU countries or now fear, they have them to leave. Stricter rules are also hitting British citizens. And no, before emigrating to the UK, it will be often simpler for EU citizens to work at the same international companies in e.g. Germany, higher wages - less rent - more sympathetic coworkers (not people, who vote to get rid of you), which is way I think, that in the long run, there are good chances more of the former UK jobs move to other countries, as companies want to attract the best and for that they need attractive locations. (As a lot of big companies today are located in more than one country, e.g. Rolls Royce, BOC, Airbus, etc., just switching departments from country to country is quite simple.)

Furthermore I would like to have stability for my family and work, not fearing everything can get changed every day. And stability is definitely not something the UK can offer right now or in the time my generation will set their career, that has nothing to with whether you are a British citizen or not. It counts for both. That is the point. Now, as it is (sadly) obvious the Leave campaign had no plan. (And thus probably all that, just so at the end, it will be very likely like Switzerland or Norway, just without the UK having that much power internationally....)

I think, that the UK has a lot of problems and that Romanians are the least of it. Thus I would have preferred to seen other issues addressed, right now, it is only stop immigration and let the rest be the same, because all is the Romanians fault, ... It is not the fault of the EU, that being a plumber is more attractive than being a junior doctor... and by the way, Romania has also highly qualified people. Criminals are another problem, but I think with the right police work, more cooperation across borders and strict child protection laws, that can be tackled, without punish a whole generation with no plan for the time afterwards.

Sorry, I can't make head or tail of this. I question whether you are even English considering the language seems foreign to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending