The Student Room Group

student finance and housing benefit

I will try to keep this a short as possible,
I am a mature student with a dependent non working partner and 2 dependent children.

my peers at uni have been getting full housing benefit and council tax benefits as well as income support for their non working partner.

In my case we have lost all of my ill partners benefits and receive no other income apart from the student finance and child tax credit. we have just been told we will have to pay £50 a week for our rent and only get the 25% student discount off the council tax. they have only just told us this and as i started uni in sept 2010 they have backdated the money we owe and have left us in a really bad situation. my peers at uni that are in exactly the same circumstances regarding children and housing are getting full benefits.

I am really am at a loss as to what to do and a lot of worry regarding being able to stay on at uni. when we spoke to someone in benefits we were told it is my own fault for going back to uni as a full time student and we should not expect to be better off. I don`t expect to be better off but certainly do not expect to be and furthemore can`t afford to be worse off. we have no savings or property etc either.

sorry for the long post and thank you in advance

Cheers Phil
I'm in exactly the same boat as you mate.

Attending uni in Sept and am having a disproportionate 70 - 80% of my income slashed because I am getting a student loan.

So much for my finances working out about the same like I was informed.
I'm a good £6,000 - £7,000 worse off per year.

I posted here yesterday airing my views and frustration only for it to be deleted so I wouldn't expect any help / support / information here mate.

I wouldn't mind if there were jobs available to make up the difference but you try finding one!
Reply 2
Original post by phil7677
I will try to keep this a short as possible,
I am a mature student with a dependent non working partner and 2 dependent children.

my peers at uni have been getting full housing benefit and council tax benefits as well as income support for their non working partner.

In my case we have lost all of my ill partners benefits and receive no other income apart from the student finance and child tax credit. we have just been told we will have to pay £50 a week for our rent and only get the 25% student discount off the council tax. they have only just told us this and as i started uni in sept 2010 they have backdated the money we owe and have left us in a really bad situation. my peers at uni that are in exactly the same circumstances regarding children and housing are getting full benefits.

I am really am at a loss as to what to do and a lot of worry regarding being able to stay on at uni. when we spoke to someone in benefits we were told it is my own fault for going back to uni as a full time student and we should not expect to be better off. I don`t expect to be better off but certainly do not expect to be and furthemore can`t afford to be worse off. we have no savings or property etc either.

sorry for the long post and thank you in advance

Cheers Phil

You need to get proper advice on benefits - if you get someone just condemning you like this, look elsewhere. Don't put up with anyone who just wants to spout off their prejudices. I know how difficult it is, and I'm sorry.

People to call up:

NUS - http://www.nus.org.uk/en/Advice/Money-and-Funding/Info-and-Advice/Students-and-social-security-benefits/ (numbers at bottom of article, but it's worth a read just in case you haven't been given full information)

Student advisors within your university / your student union

CAB

DWP
Reply 3
thanks for the replies :smile: its hard enough doing all the course work and studying without the worry of finances thanks again and i will post up how i get on for anyone else in a similar position

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending