The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cool213s
Hi!

Just accepted for the MSc Global Public Health and Policy program for this September! I'm super excited! I'm moving from the U.S. so I have a few questions.

I won't be able to furnish a flat so university accommodation is probably the best option. I've read that most of my classes will be on the Whitechapel campus. I think I am going to apply to live in the Floyer House.
Any recommendations? I definitely don't want to live in a dorm with undergrads haha

I see the main campus and Whitechapel are only 1 mile away from each other. I will definitely buy a bike. Should I still consider postgraduate dorms on the main campus?

Hi! That's great to hear. Am doing the MSc as well and almost done now. Floyer house is close to Whitechapel. You won't have to buy a bike if you wanna live there. I live in Dawson hall which is great, strategically located near the Barbican and is very posh. The downside is you'll either have to walk to school, which is 40 mins away or as you say buy a bike. Generally speaking Dawson hall is much better than Floyer and unfortunately for all QM accommodation you'll be living with undergrads. You can always find accommodation outside but unless you know the area well or the people you'll be living with u wouldn't recommend. Although it all depends with what you're looking for. I hope this helps 🙂
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
That is so helpful!! Are you doing the Public Health MSc? If so, how do you like the course?

Why can't I find Dawson on QMUL's accommodation site? Did you list this as your first choice when applying for accommodation? I am coming from the US so I don't know anyone in London. I will probably stick with university accommodation! Do you have your own bathroom and shower in Dawson?

Original post by Didiqwoba
Hi! That's great to hear. Am doing the MSc as well and almost done now. Floyer house is close to Whitechapel. You won't have to buy a bike if you wanna live there. I live in Dawson hall which is great, strategically located near the Barbican and is very posh. The downside is you'll either have to walk to school, which is 40 mins away or as you say buy a bike. Generally speaking Dawson hall is much better than Floyer and unfortunately for all QM accommodation you'll be living with undergrads. You can always find accommodation outside but unless you know the area well or the people you'll be living with u wouldn't recommend. Although it all depends with what you're looking for. I hope this helps 🙂
Has anyone heard of Scape? I am on their website for housing and it looks really nice. Since most of my classes will be on Whitechapel campus, I think 40 min commute to class is too far to live in Dawson!
I am used to walking 15 minutes at most to my classes in undergrad!
That is so helpful!! Are you doing the Public Health MSc? If so, how do you like the course?

Why can't I find Dawson on QMUL's accommodation site? Did you list this as your first choice when applying for accommodation? I am coming from the US so I don't know anyone in London. I will probably stick with university accommodation! Do you have your own bathroom and shower in Dawson?

Hey. Yes am doing the Global public health and policy course. It's busy. So much to learn but overall a rewarding experience. You'll learn to engage with literature and think critically as well about global issues that affect health.

About Dawson you'll have to list it as your first choice. We mostly have shared bathrooms, toilets and kitchen, which is relatively cheaper so to get an ensuite room you'll have to pay much more. Also self catered accommodation tends to be cheaper. So you might want to consider that. With time when you're comfortable enough and know your way around, you can move in with fellow students. Also once you're enrolled you'll be subscribed to email alerts regarding accommodation and you'll get to know what accommodation is free, where it is and how much it will cost. So not to worry. In case of anything else do let me know and I'll be happy to help 🙂
Hey, anyone doing optometry or pharmacy?
I'm actually thinking about getting into one of these courses, if you could give me an overview of the course and if you are enjoying it. Also, I heard the pharmacy market is getting too saturated and am kinda worried, is it true? Do you think that would affect getting a job after I graduate ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone heard of Scape? I am on their website for housing and it looks really nice. Since most of my classes will be on Whitechapel campus, I think 40 min commute to class is too far to live in Dawson!
I am used to walking 15 minutes at most to my classes in undergrad!

Scape is right opposite the Mile End campus. It's great but a bit on the higher side. Don't know someone who's living there unfortunately so not in a position to say much
Hey. Yes am doing the Global public health and policy course. It's busy. So much to learn but overall a rewarding experience. You'll learn to engage with literature and think critically as well about global issues that affect health.

About Dawson you'll have to list it as your first choice. We mostly have shared bathrooms, toilets and kitchen, which is relatively cheaper so to get an ensuite room you'll have to pay much more. Also self catered accommodation tends to be cheaper. So you might want to consider that. With time when you're comfortable enough and know your way around, you can move in with fellow students. Also once you're enrolled you'll be subscribed to email alerts regarding accommodation and you'll get to know what accommodation is free, where it is and how much it will cost. So not to worry. In case of anything else do let me know and I'll be happy to help 🙂

Hey! Are most of the Global Public Health and Policy classes on Whitechapel? Are there any on the Mile End campus? 40 minutes is such a long commute to me! I'm figuring out which place to live soon, any advice would be great!
Is everyone in Dawson Hall from QMUL? I really like Scape because it's near the main campus but it is so expensive!!! I just want the most convenient place to live
Hey! Are most of the Global Public Health and Policy classes on Whitechapel? Are there any on the Mile End campus? 40 minutes is such a long commute to me! I'm figuring out which place to live soon, any advice would be great!
Is everyone in Dawson Hall from QMUL? I really like Scape because it's near the main campus but it is so expensive!!! I just want the most convenient place to live

Most of the classes are in Whitechapel. In the second semester they may be in mile end depending on the elective modules you chose.

If you love studying in the library then living close to the campus, any of the campuses would be great as each campus has its own library. But you can decide to live anywhere you chose and get to explore more. With time you'll realise that accommodation doesn't matter as you tour the city and see around. But as a university of London student you're entitled to using any of the other University of London libraries,be it UCL, Kcl..so it's a bit convenient. And the transport is fast. Have some of my classmates live 2 hours away by train and still made it to class. Whichever is easier for you. But of its out of campus ask whether they have property insurance and whether the area is safe and get to see the room before you decide to move in. Some are scams. Cheers

There's a group on Facebook called spare rooms London. You'll find nice and affordable rooms for rent.
Reply 1189
What price bracket is best for dorms? I want the price bracket with the most social and fun people haha
hello! I want to know how many international students are there? are there many Chinese? especially the subjects like economics, accounting etc.. because I am Chinese and I don't want to keep speaking Chinese ALL THE TIME! thanks
Hi. Queen Mary is an internationally renowned university and so you are bound to find students from all over the world in all subjects 🙂
Original post by alee77
What price bracket is best for dorms? I want the price bracket with the most social and fun people haha

It depends with your preferences. Say if you want catered or self-catering accommodation, if you're looking to live close to campus and of course with the subject you will be studying. But generally speaking, QM accommodation is designed to be interactive and you'll run into some amazing people. Just don't close yourself off. There's lots of fun stuff that QM organises all year round so you'll be surrounded by social and fun people 🙂
Original post by Dongtai222
hello! I want to know how many international students are there? are there many Chinese? especially the subjects like economics, accounting etc.. because I am Chinese and I don't want to keep speaking Chinese ALL THE TIME! thanks

Hi. Queen Mary is an internationally renowned university and so you are bound to find students from all over the world in all subjects 🙂

Hello! On this page: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/international/international-students/index.html you can see a map of all the international students at QMUL! Hopefully this helps :smile: -Sarah
Hi
What are the rule for overnight guests who do not attend the university?
And are these rules strictly enforced?
Hi, I'm going to start university in September but I've decided to change my course to psychology. I'm wondering if Queenmary opens for psychology In clearing? If it does, will it accept ABC or ABB. I see the offer is AAB.

Thanks xxx
What is the lowest that you know of that someone got in fro Economics?
Questions about ‪#‎Clearing‬ and ‪#‎Adjustment‬ at QMUL? Chat to our staff online today from 3-6pm: http://ow.ly/Rbvb3038UyD
‪#‎futureQMUL‬

Cp-P0F6WAAAJClESm.jpg
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Questions about ‪#‎Clearing‬ and ‪#‎Adjustment‬ at QMUL? Chat to our staff online today from 3-6pm: http://ow.ly/Rbvb3038UyD
‪#‎futureQMUL‬

Cp-P0F6WAAAJClESm.jpg

Hi, I'm looking at going through adjustment for Computer Science (G400). I phoned the clearing hotline this morning, however, had forgotten to mention that I'm going through adjustment. I said I was going through clearing. They carried on and put me down in a waiting list, and said they would get back to me later via email in regards to whether or not I've been accepted into the course. What would you recommend I do?
Original post by null.and.void.
Hi, I'm looking at going through adjustment for Computer Science (G400). I phoned the clearing hotline this morning, however, had forgotten to mention that I'm going through adjustment. I said I was going through clearing. They carried on and put me down in a waiting list, and said they would get back to me later via email in regards to whether or not I've been accepted into the course. What would you recommend I do?

I'd recommend giving them a call back and explaining the situation. Congrats on your results though, that's excellent! -Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending