The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Official University of Surrey Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teeism
Is there any chance of me getting into Surrey for Mathematics with 3 B's? Both my FP2 and C4 both went horrendously bad and I believe they will drag down my overall Further Maths and Maths grades respectively to B's although my other units are most likely A's. My offer was AAB to put everything in perspective.

Hi,

Unfortunately we are unable to answer this hypothetical question as A-Level results are currently unknown. If you have fallen just short your offer then you can give us a call on results day to discuss your options with one of the team. We'll have a hot line open - check back on our website just before results day for the number: www.surrey.ac.uk

Sorry we can't be more helpful at this stage.

Emma
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by curiousegg
Is it possible that if I enter other universities for year one and return to Uni Of Surrey for year two with outstanding result like 70% or above grade? Since I am currently studying the foundation course in Surrey, unfortunately, my average score is slightly below the entry requirement and the uni simply rejected my application and said I am not able to enter the uni anymore.That's why I am seeking for help and trying my best to get back into Uni of Surrey. It really makes me feel sad and helpless.

Hello,

I would definitely recommend getting in touch directly with our admissions team to discuss this as they will be able to answer in more detail. You can give them a call on 01483682222 or email the team on [email protected]

All the best,
Emma
Hi,

I am an EU student due to start in September, Surrey is currently my firm choice and I was wondering if the EU fees would be maintained for the duration of my course or if I would have to start paying international fees if and when the UK leaves the EU. I have received an email from my insurance choice saying that their fees would remain unchanged for the entire course, however, I have not yet heard anything from Surrey regarding this issue.

Thank you in advance, :smile:
Original post by Estie98
Hi,

I am an EU student due to start in September, Surrey is currently my firm choice and I was wondering if the EU fees would be maintained for the duration of my course or if I would have to start paying international fees if and when the UK leaves the EU. I have received an email from my insurance choice saying that their fees would remain unchanged for the entire course, however, I have not yet heard anything from Surrey regarding this issue.

Thank you in advance, :smile:

Hi,

You should have received an email from us yesterday afternoon - if you haven't seen it already please have a look :smile:

Kind regards,
Emma
Hi, I was wondering how much an EPQ is valued at Surrey for an engineering undergraduate degree? Would it replace a lower A level grade, and is it recommended?
Original post by Bobbbobbob
Hi, I was wondering how much an EPQ is valued at Surrey for an engineering undergraduate degree? Would it replace a lower A level grade, and is it recommended?

Hello,

Which type of engineering course are you interested in? If you let me know then I'll get in touch with the relevant course rep and get some info for you :smile:

Emma
Original post by University of Surrey
Hello,

Which type of engineering course are you interested in? If you let me know then I'll get in touch with the relevant course rep and get some info for you :smile:

Emma

Hi,
I'm set on doing an Electrical and Electronics Engineering course, but whether that's a BEng or MEng I still don't know - probably a BEng.
Original post by Bobbbobbob
Hi,
I'm set on doing an Electrical and Electronics Engineering course, but whether that's a BEng or MEng I still don't know - probably a BEng.

Hello,

I've received the following information from the admissions team about the EPQ:

The EPQ is not considered when assessing applications. This goes for all courses in the University, as well as Engineering. The reason for this is that although it is a tariff-bearing qualification, our offers are based purely on A-level results rather than tariff points.

While we do not discourage students from taking an EPQ, especially if it is related to the course they wish to study, it would not make up for a lower A-level grade.

I hope this helps - let me know i you have any other questions.

Emma
Hiya,
Just a quick one, would I be able to defer my entry on the DAY of results day at all? Just curious because some teachers have been talking to me about it
When are applicant days usually held? I have a place for September 2017 and I was just wondering if they are held around about March/April?
Original post by AfricanPrincess
When are applicant days usually held? I have a place for September 2017 and I was just wondering if they are held around about March/April?

Hello,

Applicant days usually run from November to April. If they run them for your course then you'll get an invite via your applicant portal. You can find more details about them here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/apply/undergraduate/applicant-days

Emma :smile:
Original post by priceyyy27
Hiya,
Just a quick one, would I be able to defer my entry on the DAY of results day at all? Just curious because some teachers have been talking to me about it

Hi, I would recommend getting in touch with our admissions department to discuss this with them - you can give them a call on 01483682222 or email them on [email protected]

All the best,
Emma
Reply 1592
Hi everyone. Our official TSR profile is now active and we’re here to answer all your questions about Surrey, whether you’re thinking of applying, going through the application process or already studying here. Ask us about anything - from course details to Surrey’s nightlife - and we’ll find the best person to help you!

Please feel free to post your questions in this thread, or if you prefer you can send us a private message. We’ll aim to get back to you ASAP but please allow a few days for a response.

Hello, I have a quick question!
It's about entry requirements that you have to fulfil after you get an offer. So, in the website of Surrey University they say that the requirements include getting an overall 9 in grades and 80% in the state exams. Do they mean that I have to get 80% (or above) in every exam that I've taken or is it the overall percentage, too?

I'd be very grateful for the answer! :smile:
Hi,

I have been offered a place to study Theatre and Performance with Creative Writing. How flexible is the Major/Minor system? For instance, will I be able to choose how many credits I want to earn from each course, so I can choose whether I want to major in Creative Writing or Theatre?
Original post by guostr
Hello, I have a quick question!
It's about entry requirements that you have to fulfil after you get an offer. So, in the website of Surrey University they say that the requirements include getting an overall 9 in grades and 80% in the state exams. Do they mean that I have to get 80% (or above) in every exam that I've taken or is it the overall percentage, too?

I'd be very grateful for the answer! :smile:

Hello,

Can you just let me know which course you are applying for, and which exams you are taking? *Then I can get in touch with the relevant person and get an answer for you :smile:

Thanks,
Emma*
Reply 1595
Hello,

Can you just let me know which course you are applying for, and which exams you are taking? *Then I can get in touch with the relevant person and get an answer for you :smile:

Thanks,
Emma*

Hello,

I'm applying for Business Management (Marketing) and I've taken the English language exam, Mathematics and Lithuanian language exam (as I'm from Lithuania) :smile:

Thanks,
Guoda
Reply 1596
Hi, I have a few questions:1. Does the diploma need to be legalized or just a translated copy is sufficient?2. University of Surrey is my insurance choice, I have fulfilled all conditions in the conditional offer but I have not received an answer yet - when will the offer be changed to unconditional?3. In case by 25 July I have no reply from my firm choice, can I apply for accommodation in Surrey having in mind that the deadline there is 25 July and you are allowed to apply only if Surrey is your firm choice? In this case, if I receive a negative reply from my firm choice as late as August - will I not be ale to apply for accommodation in Surrey?
Original post by KitKat2016
Hi,

I have been offered a place to study Theatre and Performance with Creative Writing. How flexible is the Major/Minor system? For instance, will I be able to choose how many credits I want to earn from each course, so I can choose whether I want to major in Creative Writing or Theatre?

Hello,

For the degree that you have chosen Theatre and Performance will be the major as we don't offer it the other way around. *The majority of your degree modules, exams, coursework and assessment marks will come from your major subject. As a guideline, we would expect you to spend around 70% of your time studying for your major, with the remaining 30% of your time spend on your minor. However, our major/minor framework allows you to choose from a flexible range of optional modules so the actual balance will depend on your own preferences and requirements.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions. :smile:

Emma*
Original post by asi11
Hi, I have a few questions:1. Does the diploma need to be legalized or just a translated copy is sufficient?2. University of Surrey is my insurance choice, I have fulfilled all conditions in the conditional offer but I have not received an answer yet - when will the offer be changed to unconditional?3. In case by 25 July I have no reply from my firm choice, can I apply for accommodation in Surrey having in mind that the deadline there is 25 July and you are allowed to apply only if Surrey is your firm choice? In this case, if I receive a negative reply from my firm choice as late as August - will I not be ale to apply for accommodation in Surrey?

Hello,

Can you let me know what your diploma is for and which course you have applied to? *

As you said you can only apply for accommodation once you have us as your firm choice- you will still be able to apply for university accommodation after 25th July, but we won't be able to guarantee you a place. *You can find a copy of our allocation policy here for more information:*
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/documentfinder/Allocation%20Policy%202016-17%20Final%2020160222.pdf*

Once I hear back from you I'll get in touch with the relevant team to answer your other questions :smile:

Emma*
Hello,

I've received the following information from the admissions team about the EPQ:

The EPQ is not considered when assessing applications. This goes for all courses in the University, as well as Engineering. The reason for this is that although it is a tariff-bearing qualification, our offers are based purely on A-level results rather than tariff points.

While we do not discourage students from taking an EPQ, especially if it is related to the course they wish to study, it would not make up for a lower A-level grade.

I hope this helps - let me know i you have any other questions.

Emma

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending