The Student Room Group

Is it better to be optimistic or to settle?

I am an A-level student looking to study engineering at university. I'm currently studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry but only managed CCC after my first year. I'm optimistic that I might be able to raise my grades but when doing Uni applications would it be better to apply with BBB or something similar or to look for courses that take CCC which is not many...
Good morning,

Coming from a student that unfortunately didn't get into firm, I suggest doing this:
- Your insurance choice must be of "low standards." This means what you most likely going to get if you didn't do very well. For instance, you got CCC in your first year, so maybe go for Foundation Year course that accepts CCC. Try and find two Universities that are 1 grade apart (CCC and BCC); you can narrow it down into one when you decide your official insurance.
- While ambition and aspirations are appreciative, also be pragmatic. You have to be honest (not too brutally honest) with yourself: for instance, it is better and you are more guaranteed to get into a Firm Uni that has BBC when you are predicted ABB or BBB, than a Uni that requires ABB/BBB. A student of mine got into Uni of Surrey with AAB, and they accept BBB there (although the student got AAA in their first year).

Overall, be realistic, don't be too ambitious, if you want to, that is up to you, but remember to work harder (and smarter :smile:) for next year. I hope you get into the Uni that you want to.

From a soon to be University of Nottingham student (formerly University of Bath),

Andrew

Quick Reply

Latest