The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Applicants for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAEROguy
Hey guys , i was just wondering , is a mac OK for engineering students ? I mean we will have computing classes obviously ,so is it ok if i have a macbook pro ?

Oh hey, i was wondering the same since I will be a CS student
For now I have picked macbook pro 15" tho I wish there was a 13" one with the 15" specs
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Sari7ta
For now I have picked macbook pro 15" tho I wish there was a 13" one with the 15" specs

personally , I find the 15" way to big , there's no way i take that one .
Super late reply but I've firmed soton for this course too!
Original post by ajwheelerr
I firmed Criminology and Psychology :smile: anyone else doing the course?
I feel like i'm a bit late to the party and i have no idea if i posted before haha:smile:

Where from: Sitges, Spain
AS/A2 subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths
AS/A2 grades: AAA-
Course applying for: Physics with Nanotechnology

Firstly, I loved the course, the modules, and it was one of the only universities which offered Nanotechnology in the UK, I've always wanted to study there. Secondly, everything I've heard and seen about the university has been great, they have amazing facilities and the campus is beautiful, apart from that it is also quite prestigious. However, I'm feeing a bit nervous since they asked me for an A in Physics and the exam didn't go as well as I hoped.
Reply 644
Original post by Sari7ta

I'm in the Engineering Dept (but studying Audiology) and use a Macbook. The software you need should be available on computers (probably PCs) in the department, or you can access remotely on your Mac via PC emulator VMWare. I'd say you'd be fine with a Macbook, but you could double check by contacting the department office http://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/contact.page
Hey , do any of you have their place confirmed ? How long did it take ? I sent my results more than one week ago , and they still didn't confirmed my offer ,...
Hey , do any of you have their place confirmed ? How long did it take ? I sent my results more than one week ago , and they still didn't confirmed my offer ,...

Did you apply through clearing?
Original post by computationchive
Did you apply through clearing?

No , soton is my firm choice , and I met the conditions
No , soton is my firm choice , and I met the conditions

Ah nice, congrats! Most of us here havn't got our results yet, so Southampton has not confirmed our place... Results day is on the 18th August

It took about 8 days for my results and place to be confirmed on UCAS track, so not too bad. Have you received an email of acknowledgement from your department? If it goes on much longer then I would perhaps call :smile:
Original post by SerenaHayes
It took about 8 days for my results and place to be confirmed on UCAS track, so not too bad. Have you received an email of acknowledgement from your department? If it goes on much longer then I would perhaps call :smile:

I've never actually received an email of acknowledgement apart from the UCAS 'smth on your application has changed' email. Perhaps, when it's time to enroll for the course(which is the next step), we will get the email. :smile:
Original post by SerenaHayes

They confirmed my place one week later I sent the results, but I didn't receive any email from the department only the notification email from the UCAS. For which course did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zlatan8
They confirmed my place one week later I sent the results, but I didn't receive any email from the department only the notification email from the UCAS. For which course did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it just entirely depends on each specific department :smile: I'm guessing each department has their own way of doing things. I'm gonna be doing sociology
Hey there,

My names Laura and I have an offer to study an MSC in Oceanography at Southampton, I`m 23 and did my undergraduate in Hull. Looking forward to joining the ice hockey team (:
How was Hull? (It's my insurance, and not feeling too confident about making the grade for Southampton :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
any Chemistry students?
Hi! I'm going to be studying Biomedical Sciences at Southampton in September-woooo! Congrats to everyone else who got into Southampton! I was wondering if anyone else had received any info on what were supposed to do while we wait, course reading lists etc? I have seen that my halls move in on the 24th, and that I need to fill out an e-induction online- but when I click on the link it sends me to the accomodation log-in and that site has no e-induction that I can see! I'm stressing out and eager to get started with uni stuff! Thanks in advance!
Original post by Kirsten_Zvezda
Hi! I'm going to be studying Biomedical Sciences at Southampton in September-woooo! Congrats to everyone else who got into Southampton! I was wondering if anyone else had received any info on what were supposed to do while we wait, course reading lists etc? I have seen that my halls move in on the 24th, and that I need to fill out an e-induction online- but when I click on the link it sends me to the accomodation log-in and that site has no e-induction that I can see! I'm stressing out and eager to get started with uni stuff! Thanks in advance!

check on your course confirmation email, scroll down and they should have a link for a checklist of steps you need to take - click that and it should take you there:

you need to fill out some equal opportunities stuff as well as details for your tuition fees payment and student ID card
Original post by Humza Ali
check on your course confirmation email, scroll down and they should have a link for a checklist of steps you need to take - click that and it should take you there:

you need to fill out some equal opportunities stuff as well as details for your tuition fees payment and student ID card

Ahh! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending