The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Interviews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by corinahadji
Hello,
I know this is kind of a broad question, but how can I know if Oxbridge is good for me or if I am good enough before applying?
Thank you.:smile:

Compare your predicted grades to the average offer. If you meet the average offer, then you're good enough.
Original post by Jooooshy
Compare your predicted grades to the average offer. If you meet the average offer, then you're good enough.

That, in the case of Oxford and Cambridge, is entirely misleading, inadequate and, frankly, wrong. Most people who have or will attain the grades needed will not be of the required standard. This is illustrated by the fact that only a small fraction of applicants (nearly all of whom will attain the grades required) get places; the rest are rejected.

OP, realistically, do you consider yourself to be an elite (and not just in your local context) student? If so, apply. If not, don't.
Original post by Good bloke
That, in the case of Oxford and Cambridge, is entirely misleading, inadequate and, frankly, wrong. Most people who have or will attain the grades needed will not be of the required standard. This is illustrated by the fact that only a small fraction of applicants (nearly all of whom will attain the grades required) get places; the rest are rejected.

OP, realistically, do you consider yourself to be an elite (and not just in your local context) student? If so, apply. If not, don't.

It's just a big competition between all of those that are capable of making the grades. If you're capable of making the grades, then you should join the competition.

Many people are far too modest to consider themselves 'elite.'
(edited 9 years ago)
It's just a big competition between all of those that are capable of making the grades. If you're capable of making the grades, then you should join the competition.

Many people are far too modest to consider themselves 'elite.'

Many courses still only require AAA. It is a fact that broadly as many people, in this age of grade inflation, get AAA as, forty years ago, became undergraduates in the UK (having attained the whole range of grades between AAA and EE). Oxford's standards are extremely unlikely to have fallen but the standard of applicant (if they follow your ridiculous advice) would have.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Many courses still only require AAA. It is a fact that broadly as many people, in this age of grade inflation, get AAA than, forty years ago, became undergraduates in the UK (having attained the whole range of grades between AAA and EE). Oxford's standards are extremely unlikely to have fallen but the standard of applicant (if they follow your ridiculous advice) would have.

It was the same ridiculous advice that encouraged me to apply :smile:

An application is harmless.. What's your logic behind encouraging students not to apply?
It was the same ridiculous advice that encouraged me to apply :smile:

An application is harmless.. What's your logic behind encouraging students not to apply?

I'm not encouraging students not to apply. I'm saying that applicants should apply to universities they have a decent chance of getting into and be realistic about those chances - and not waste an application, especially in subject which are highly competitive at all top universities. The idea that you are predicted to get AAA, say, and that this therefore means you are of Oxford standard is not realistic. You need evidence and belief that you are near the top of that group of applicants before you can be optimistic of success.
Thank you for your replies, but to answer to the question, I don't really know what an elite student has. I am top of my year and I do get good grades though I know that this is not enough. Oxbridge uses grades only to shrink the already huge number of applications it receives.
Thank you so much for your replies, but to be honest I don't exactly know what an elite student actually has. I get good grades and I am top of my year. I have however heard of students applying for Oxbridge having top grades and still being rejected. That is why I think that grades are kind of a way to filter the massive amounts of applications that receive. So, how can I know, grades aside, that I am good enough?
I know it is kind of broad but any feedback is welcome:smile:
Original post by corinahadji
Thank you so much for your replies, but to be honest I don't exactly know what an elite student actually has. I get good grades and I am top of my year. I have however heard of students applying for Oxbridge having top grades and still being rejected. That is why I think that grades are kind of a way to filter the massive amounts of applications that receive. So, how can I know, grades aside, that I am good enough?
I know it is kind of broad but any feedback is welcome:smile:
You can't really know. You have to apply and see what happens.

Being someone who is keen to find out more about the subject you're applying for, reading about it, etc is a good sign.
Original post by fluteflute
You can't really know. You have to apply and see what happens.

Being someone who is keen to find out more about the subject you're applying for, reading about it, etc is a good sign.

I have been doing some extra reading actually so I guess this is a good sign,:smile: thnx:biggrin:
I'm currently in year 12 and am thinking of applying to Oxbridge next year.
I did well in my gcses last year achieving 8 A*s an A and a B.
This year I chose to study chemistry, biology, maths and religious studies.
I'm not too sure what I want to do degree-wise but I've narrowed it down to a science route (biology, chemistry, biochemistry) or an RS route (ppe looks good and also theology or philosophy)
However, everyone applying to these top universities seems to have great grades and I'm struggling to think of how to 'stand out from the pack.'
I wondered if anyone had any advice on things I could do this year and next to help me seem like a more rounded candidate as I've never done many extra-curricular activities.
Also, I wondered if I'd be able to study PPE with my a level choices as it seems like a very competitive course.
Thanks for any help.
Original post by joebush
I'm currently in year 12 and am thinking of applying to Oxbridge next year.
I did well in my gcses last year achieving 8 A*s an A and a B.
This year I chose to study chemistry, biology, maths and religious studies.
I'm not too sure what I want to do degree-wise but I've narrowed it down to a science route (biology, chemistry, biochemistry) or an RS route (ppe looks good and also theology or philosophy)
However, everyone applying to these top universities seems to have great grades and I'm struggling to think of how to 'stand out from the pack.'
I wondered if anyone had any advice on things I could do this year and next to help me seem like a more rounded candidate as I've never done many extra-curricular activities.
Also, I wondered if I'd be able to study PPE with my a level choices as it seems like a very competitive course.
Thanks for any help.

Do work experience at a bank or in science labs at big companies? Do an EPQ? Win a big science competition?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asmuse123
Do work experience at a bank or in science labs at big companies? Do an EPQ? Win a big science competition?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was was thinking of doing work experience, it would probably have to be something to do in the summer holidays though as I have no time in the week to do something like that. This is the first time I've heard of an EPQ and it seems like a good idea, I'd have to do some research on it and enquire about it at school. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending