The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 (approaches and research methods) - 27th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cryptorchid306
Ah great. My teacher has predicted the same things as you to come up - Psychodynamic, Behaviourist, Individual Differences or Social as well he said to have a look up.

Anyway know if any of the debates are expecting to pop up and what sort of questions we'll be asked for them?

It will be highly unlikely as the part e question is always about a debate relevant to an approach or issue, so if OCR is cruel enough then i would reccommend revising on the approaches and issues
Currently completing practice section B's for several approaches, so tedious! I'm more worried about Section A though - I'm completely useless at making up experiments! Oh yes that's another thing - my teacher's predicted either an experiment or observation coming up for Section A. Which I'm hoping for...need to practice evaluation questions too. Ahh so much to do in so little time :L
Reply 22
If a debate came up what part of section B would it be on?

And does anybody have any studies for individual differences and psychodynamic perspective?
hi everyone, im new to this website so hope this post works.. im doing this exam on friday! very nervous... just thought id say my college has predicted ind.dif, psychodynamic and behaviourist as none of these have ever come up as a main section... also the other things which havent been up in section B are... determinism vs free will, ethnocentrism, longitudinal studies, snapshot studies, reliability, validity and case studies.. none of these have been up in section B as there own set of questions (if that makes sence) ... in section A we have definitly been told that it should be observations as that has never been up either!:smile:

we have been told it is best to use A2 studies to get into the higher grade boundaries here are the studies i am using:smile: ...
physiological- maguire AS brunner A2
cognitive- Loftus and palmer AS loftus et al A2
social- Milgram AS Wikstrom and Tajfel A2
ind.dif- Rosenhan AS Gudjohnson et al A2
developmental- Bandura AS Farrington A2
behaviourist- Bandura AS Leyens A2
psychodynamic- Thigpen and Cleckley AS Freud AS

Hope this helps!!!!!! :smile:

Original post by Kalv
If a debate came up what part of section B would it be on?

And does anybody have any studies for individual differences and psychodynamic perspective?

ind dif- rosenhan AS and gudjohnson et al A2
psychodynamic- thigpen and cleckley and freud

and a debate could come up as the whole like section which you could choose to do or is most likely to be a [e] question saying something like how does the social approach support the determinsim debate? [8 marks]

:smile: hope that helps!

Currently completing practice section B's for several approaches, so tedious! I'm more worried about Section A though - I'm completely useless at making up experiments! Oh yes that's another thing - my teacher's predicted either an experiment or observation coming up for Section A. Which I'm hoping for...need to practice evaluation questions too. Ahh so much to do in so little time :L

we have been predicted observations as experiments came up in Jan10 as an independant measures and in June11 as a repeated measures - observation has never ever been up yet :smile:
Reply 26
So worried for this exam on Friday, and to think I was scared of the core studies one, this ones even worse! :frown:

Does anyone have any predictions for Section A? (I just hope correlation doesnt come up!)

Section B, definitely going to be ID, Psyhodynamic or Behaviourist, I reckon!
Also, do any of you know if that first part of section B will always be about approaches/perspective?

Does anyone have any good time management tips for this exam? I always spend far too long writing out that method!
:eek:
Reply 27
So yes..if Psychodynamic or Behaviourist doesn't come up...I'm screwed :biggrin:
I don't know...what are other college's predictions?

Our teacher predicted individual differences as well :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by hazgibbo
So worried for this exam on Friday, and to think I was scared of the core studies one, this ones even worse! :frown:

Does anyone have any predictions for Section A? (I just hope correlation doesnt come up!)

Section B, definitely going to be ID, Psyhodynamic or Behaviourist, I reckon!
Also, do any of you know if that first part of section B will always be about approaches/perspective?

Does anyone have any good time management tips for this exam? I always spend far too long writing out that method!
:eek:

For time management: write the answer according to the marks allocated. For instance the methods question is 13+6 marks. So wither take 13 minutes to write the method or the whole 19 minutes to write the method. I recommend 13 minutes, because for the rest of the 6 minutes, you could check if you can improve your method.
Make sure you have a:
AIM
VARIABLES
PROCEDURE: design, how you collect the data, materials, conditions etc.
SAMPLE
COVER ETHICS
Remember it has to be ethical, practical and replicable to get full marks.

Section b: one part will always be an approach/perspective and the other will be research methods. Unless OCR is really cruel.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 29
How does the individual differences approach support the determinism and free will debate?
Reply 30
Original post by sasha165

Original post by sasha165
For time management: write the answer according to the marks allocated. For instance the methods question is 13+6 marks. So wither take 13 minutes to write the method or the whole 19 minutes to write the method. I recommend 13 minutes, because for the rest of the 6 minutes, you could check if you can improve your method.
Make sure you have a:
AIM
VARIABLES
PROCEDURE: design, how you collect the data, materials, conditions etc.
SAMPLE
COVER ETHICS
Remember it has to be ethical, practical and replicable to get full marks.

Section b: one part will always be an approach/perspective and the other will be research methods. Unless OCR is really cruel.

Thankyou so much, thats a really good idea!! as it's pretty much 1 mark per 1 minute, so should keep to the time!!! going to try this later :smile:

I hope to god they leave one of the section B's for the approaches/perspectives, I've focused my revision on them! If not... I will personally hunt the people in OCR down!! :|
Reply 31
In the comparison question which asks you to compare two approaches, how many comparisons should you make? My teacher says you only need to make two (either two similarities, two differences or one difference and one similarity). But for 8 marks that doesn’t seem enough. What do you think?
Original post by -Haz-
In the comparison question which asks you to compare two approaches, how many comparisons should you make? My teacher says you only need to make two (either two similarities, two differences or one difference and one similarity). But for 8 marks that doesn’t seem enough. What do you think?

2 similarities, 2 differences. 1 mark for the similarity, 1 mark for the study to give evidence and then another mark to just sort of link them and draw a conclusion. So it's 4 x 3 which'll be 12 marks in total (more than enough!) but you might lose some as the examiners can be a bit picky so it's good to just try and include everything and you should end up with full marks :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by hazgibbo
Thankyou so much, thats a really good idea!! as it's pretty much 1 mark per 1 minute, so should keep to the time!!! going to try this later :smile:

I hope to god they leave one of the section B's for the approaches/perspectives, I've focused my revision on them! If not... I will personally hunt the people in OCR down!! :|

I've only revised for approaches and perspectives too lol :smile:
Reply 34
does anybody know what debates relate to the individual difference approach at all?
Just wanted to say there's nothing to stop them not putting an approach on section B for example it could be a bit on methods and one part on debates or issues. There isn't always a part on an approach. If this helps :smile:
Reply 36
how many marks is the comparison question?
Reply 37
So scared :frown:
Original post by beccaa:)

[QUOTE=beccaa[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];36023084]does anybody know what debates relate to the individual difference approach at all?

Ind dif - determinism as looks as factors we can't control eg gender mental illness etc so behaviour is predetermined
- holism as it acknowledges everyones different and considers a variety of factors such as age gender mental health etc...
- individual debate as it looks at the individual differences in people and how this shapes there behaviour

Reply 39
Original post by amyamyamyxxx
Just wanted to say there's nothing to stop them not putting an approach on section B for example it could be a bit on methods and one part on debates or issues. There isn't always a part on an approach. If this helps :smile:

erghhhhhhhhh why!!!!!! but wouldn't you still need an approach or a perspective to answer a debates or issues question? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending