The Student Room Group

Boycotting of Scotland

Hi,

It was reported this morning that a group of americans have set up a website which contains an article calling for people to boycott any goods coming from Scotland and also discouraging them to visit the country, due to the release of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi otherwise known as the Lockerbie Bomber.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought of this article?

Scroll to see replies

How stupid. They're idiots. It just confirms my belief that most Americans are dumb and ignorant.
paniking_and_not_revising
How stupid. They're idiots. It just confirms my belief that most Americans are dumb and ignorant.

Yeah like two morons who managed to set a website represent the majority of the American nation. It's like saying that the typical American is represented by Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.
Come on!!!

Unlimited love to Scotland by the way (I'm not even Scottish). Incredible stupid move to make but don't turn this into a racist/national thing.
The scottish government were out of line, This is a group of people venting their anger at the murderer who killed a load of American citizens being released! Since when are terrorists supposed to be released?
Reply 4
The bomber also killed scottish people however, so surely the decision made to release him was a tough one to make.
Americans will kill thousands in Iraq but when it comes to a man who killed about 260 people, they think she should suffer.

Anyway, Britain is not an American State. We are free to do what we want and they need to understand that.
Anyway, Britain is not an American State. We are free to do what we want and they need to understand that.

You seem to be conflating your issues here.

Britain is not an American state, correct, nor is this group which is calling for a boycott a branch of the American government. How are the foreign policy actions of the American government (and British government incidentally) a sign of hypocrisy in this case?

It just confirms my belief that most Americans are dumb and ignorant.

Have you ever been to America?
Reply 7
The chances of it making any difference whatsoever are very slim.
I had a friend shot by US troops in Iraq - doesn't mean I hate Americans, doesn't mean I'd call for a boycott of American goods.
Some people just can't let things go.
Reply 8
I'm not approving their actions; after all how is boycotting Scotland going to achieve anything, they have made their decision now and they would not have made it lightly, after all, it killed their own people, as well as devastating the entire surround. The way those Americans on that site have expressed their feelings is clearly extreme, and like I said, completely unproductive, but people DO have a right to express how they feel about the situation because they too were effected, if not more so.

I myself cannot judge whether they were right or wrong in making their decision to release him, and I have no ability to judge whether or not he was even the bomber (as many people have speculated), as I was only just born in 1988, and unfortunately history is riddled with bias. All I can say is that it clearly wasn't an easy decision to make, but no matter what decision, you'll always find someone who is angry with the result; an decision needed to be made though
Urgh, so one decision made by the scottish government should affect the whole nation now??? None of us were asked for our opinions on the release of the guy.

And also, do they not think that *maybe* there would be a way of easily moving goods up to Scotland from England (assuming that England didnt crawl up the USA's ass and stick by their decision)
Reply 10
seems a bit childish, the americans didnt get their way so every tom, dick and harry who no brit has heard of has come out condeming it.
i was actually against his release untill the americans made such a fuss.
maybe if we show some compassion to people in other countries then they will have a better opinion of us?
Reply 11
That is like asking everyone to boycott Texas because they still practice the death penalty...
Reply 12
Hilariously funny coming from people who funded the IRA.
Reply 13
The Scottish have to fight back,

Were being bullied by the Americans. It happened on Scottish soil and it is our decision. So the USA can Feck off.
utterly childlish tit-for-tat politics, especially when the Americans are part of a colossal economic depression and two failed wars which would be infinitely more valuable to invest some time in.
Ya, not going to lie. The vast majority of Americans are very not happy with that decision.
They're not unhappy enough to boycott Scotland, organize a march or anything like that, and certainly not enough to interfere with Scottish sovereignty. All of which is a total overreaction, obviously. But in a country of 300 million people, you're bound to find a few people who get worked up that much about paving a new parking lot. (Seriously.)

You know, it's pretty frustrating when I see people on here just cast this blanket over "America" and "Americans" when they find this stuff, like we're all the same. I bet I could find a website hosted by Americans saying meat-eaters are murderers. That doesn't mean all 300 million, or even a significant portion of us, feel that way.

Have you ever read your bio?
Americans will kill thousands in Iraq but when it comes to a man who killed about 260 people, they think she should suffer.

Have you heard how ridiulous that sounds? He killed 260 people, of course he should suffer!
Reply 17
HexagonalBolts
utterly childlish tit-for-tat politics, especially when the Americans are part of a colossal economic depression and two failed wars which would be infinitely more valuable to invest some time in.

They're not in a depression.
its like me blowing up a train full of people only to be released 20+ years later, It wouldnt happen. thats why its so ridiculous, he should have died in prison.
Reply 19
Im in doubt he even did it

Latest

Trending

Trending