The Student Room Group

Mathematics Applications & Offers 2010

Scroll to see replies

Name: Laura
Course: Mathematics, MMath
Universities: Cambridge, Warwick and York. I'm going to Open Days for Bath, Bristol and Southampton to decide the rest =)
Predicted: Maths-A FM-A Phys-A Bio-A (Our school doesn't predict A*s)

How did everyone do at AS? I got good A's (90%+) But I'm never sure if it's good enough for a place like Cambridge. I mean they take THE best, and loads of people get good As :unsure: I would so love to go though! No harm in applying :smile:
Reply 21
'Vikki
']Because they got more than 90% so it's apparently an A*, although really it's just an A at AS.

no, it's because we've already done the first full maths A level, and got an average of 90%+ on C3 and C4, but have not yet certificated them, and won't till the A* is released next summer.

not sure about whoever else says they've already got an A*, but this is what i meant when i said it.
Reply 22
cantstop-x
Name: Jemma
Course: Maths, couldn't be sure of the course code
Universities: Queen's (Belfast), St Andrews and I haven't picked my other three yet... Possibly Edinburgh/Glasgow/Strathclyde. Don't really have a clue.

Not sure about predicted grades, already have a full Maths A Level at grade A... and the rest of my results are A at AS level.

Just a query, but how come people are saying they've got an A* in Maths, when A* grades aren't being introduced until Summer 2010?

as above, got the appropriate UMS marks on the modules, ready to be cashed in for when A* is officially released :smile:
Good luck to everyone applying this year. All I can do is encourage you to apply to Bath (not that I'm biased or anything), and don't get too fixated on Oxbridge. I was rejected by Oxford (Magdalen) after interview, and I was pretty gutted at the time, but as time moves on you realise that it's really not "all that". Seriously.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm also willing to have a look at any personal statements, although I'd also recommend the PS helper service on this site for that.

I'm now away until Sunday but if anyone PMs while I'm away I'll get onto it as soon as I get home. :smile:

Simon
Reply 24
Name: Rachel
Course: MMath where possible, otherwise G100
Universities: Cambridge (pembroke?), Warwick, St Andrews, Durham, Bristol
Predicted: AAAA @ A2 in Maths, FMaths, Physics and History. Also got an A in AS Art last year but I'm not carrying that on :frown:.
Name: Ramocito Morales
Course: Mathematics G100
Universities: Glasgow
Reply 26
Nfixlol
no, it's because we've already done the first full maths A level, and got an average of 90%+ on C3 and C4, but have not yet certificated them, and won't till the A* is released next summer.

not sure about whoever else says they've already got an A*, but this is what i meant when i said it.

Okay I apologise then, it's just because I thought that's what most people were saying.
Reply 27
'Vikki
']Okay I apologise then, it's just because I thought that's what most people were saying.

no worries :smile:

btw, is anyone on here going to kcl's maths open day tomorrow by any chance?
Oh okay! My Maths wasn't cashed in this year, I had wondered why. My centre must be cashing ours in next year to get the A*, excellent :smile:
Oh also guys, if a B is 420/600, and A is 480/600 UMS, does anybody know if the A* will be 540/600?
Reply 30
cantstop-x
Oh also guys, if a B is 420/600, and A is 480/600 UMS, does anybody know if the A* will be 540/600?

80% overall AS and A2.

90% on average for Core 3 and Core 4.
Reply 31
Me!

Maths & Philosophy at: Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Durham (via Natural Sciences)

(Philosophy V500 at Cambridge, also, but this is unnecessary :p:)

Predicted some grades (As or A*s, godknow) in Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, Philosophy & Ethics
Mrs Applewater
Name: Laura
Course: Mathematics, MMath
Universities: Cambridge, Warwick and York. I'm going to Open Days for Bath, Bristol and Southampton to decide the rest =)
Predicted: Maths-A FM-A Phys-A Bio-A (Our school doesn't predict A*s)

How did everyone do at AS? I got good A's (90%+) But I'm never sure if it's good enough for a place like Cambridge. I mean they take THE best, and loads of people get good As :unsure: I would so love to go though! No harm in applying :smile:

Not to be a bringer of bad tidings, but I really think your school is disadvantaging you for a Cambridge offer by not predicting A* for you especially that the the offer is A*AA :frown: I think you should try at least to get an A* prediction for Maths
OK, that's alright then...Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 34
QED
Me!

Maths & Philosophy at: Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Durham (via Natural Sciences)

(Philosophy V500 at Cambridge, also, but this is unnecessary :p:)

Predicted some grades (As or A*s, godknow) in Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, Philosophy & Ethics

Purely out of curiosity, and given you're applying to M&P everywhere else, can I ask why you're applying to Cambridge (who don't have an M&P course) for Phil and not Oxford for M&P?
Nfixlol
no worries :smile:

btw, is anyone on here going to kcl's maths open day tomorrow by any chance?

I am... for physics but still! You're the only person I could find on tsr who are going today :p:
Reply 36
RichE
Purely out of curiosity, and given you're applying to M&P everywhere else, can I ask why you're applying to Cambridge (who don't have an M&P course) for Phil and not Oxford for M&P?

Their philosophy course is :coma:, first and foremost. Whereas I don't think I'd have much of a chance at Oxford as I believe one has to fulfil the straight Maths requirements, also. There are other reasons, mainly trivial, but still. :p:
Reply 37
sarubobo28
I am... for physics but still! You're the only person I could find on tsr who are going today :p:

ha, i didn't really bother looking on tsr other than posting on this thread. how did the open day go for you? i thought it was awesome, especially the location :coma:

london is so cool. if more london unis had the course i'm applying for i might've made all 5 of my choices london unis :p:
Reply 38
Name: Same as above
Course: Mathematics G100
Universities: Oxford (Lincoln), Warwick, Imperial , Bath, Exeter
A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Maybe Additional Further Maths (to AS).

Will watch this thread - good luck all over the coming year.
Nfixlol
ha, i didn't really bother looking on tsr other than posting on this thread. how did the open day go for you? i thought it was awesome, especially the location :coma:

london is so cool. if more london unis had the course i'm applying for i might've made all 5 of my choices london unis :p:

London is a really nice place to live in, although it is abit expensive :yep: kings was quite good, but i didn't really like the department :tongue: The course I want to do isn't in London though, so I might have to live out :frown: I'm going to miss this place so much. Hope you get in (:

Quick Reply

Latest