The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Encore a bargain at these prices. Glad I got out of XEL on Friday, seems to be a very easy share to trade atm, will get back in if it goes sub 350

Original post by sul

This post, my first in a few months, is a reiteration of a BUY for SOLG. This will be >£1 this week sometime, maybe tomorrow.

What are your reasons for this?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
I was laughing by the time I finished the first paragraph of that site. It's just so badly written. If any company wants to be taken seriously, they should learn to write in the language they plan to operate in. The least you can do is hire someone to do it for you.

I'm not the company. I'm just showing you guys their stupidness lol.
Original post by PopABottle
I'm not the company. I'm just showing you guys their stupidness lol.

Yeah when I said 'you' I meant companies in general.

On a separate note, I can't believe I let go of CDC awhile back. Got in at 30 and sold at 34. Knew it was going up but was looking for some more regular news-flow.

Once it drops back after a few quiet days I'll get back on board, and this time not get off. Great company.
Reply 3983
Roxi was hit hard today after hitting a duster ...another reminder as to the hit and miss oiliers. One minute, you've made a packet, the next - you've lost it all.

Always buy a stock with the fundemantals to back it up, it's ok to take a punt once in a while but don't stake too much (Like one poor sod, put in over £4K into SAR - sorry to mention this but hopefully people will learn)

Ignore the BS on ADVFN, DYOR and go with what what YOU feel. Again, don't try and call the top and bottom, because we can't.

Cheers,
Reply 3984
Original post by 1chunk
Roxi was hit hard today after hitting a duster ...another reminder as to the hit and miss oiliers. One minute, you've made a packet, the next - you've lost it all.

Always buy a stock with the fundemantals to back it up, it's ok to take a punt once in a while but don't stake too much (Like one poor sod, put in over £4K into SAR - sorry to mention this but hopefully people will learn)

Ignore the BS on ADVFN, DYOR and go with what what YOU feel. Again, don't try and call the top and bottom, because we can't.

Cheers,

this is definitely duster month

XEL - nice RNS - proved financial capability and signed the rig, next the CPR I expect 200m barrels although the chairman reckons 500mmboe I place a conservative 200m this should push the SP to 450p

also it has been the worst for dusters
Encore/nautical/premier - all the same well but a duster none the less
RKH - porr resuilt
Roxi - poor result
Heritage - gas
bowleven having a good tank from 400p

I defintely think my strategy going forward will be to sell pre result, currenlty a tough time on the markets not much out there

RRL doing the business but for how long

CAD and SLE ticking up

again this year I expect the pickings to be harder

even my low risk Petroneft PTR is down 7% I bought at 65.5 and thats after JP Morgan up'd there stakefrom 6% to 8% !!!

what can you do

and lastly CMC stopped doing AIM shares, guess who didn't hedge there trades !!!
Original post by 1chunk

we can never call the top and bottom, even the most experienced.
Actually I managed it once before with a BPC day trade: 10% :colondollar:
Reply 3986
What brokers do you use?

I am looking for a new execution only broker since Barclays seem to be getting slower and slower

Please quote me as I know this thread gains a couple hundred posts per day

:-)
Reply 3987
Original post by Futurdoc
I'm planning to invest a few grand into shares soon. I'm a complete newbie. Is there a guide online which someone could recommend ? I presume getting someone on here to explain it, would be a long winded process?

I've heard something about government bonds. Something about a 'mini national lottery' ?

Try the "Using the Financial Pages" book by the Financial Times guide. I would also start reading the Companies and Markets, Money sections of papers.

To practice open a bullbearings account http://www.bullbearings.co.uk/ actually it should explain the process in there as well

The internet is your friend in this regard

Oh and fyi bonds have nothing to do with SnS which is why I recommend the Financial Times book as you need to separate the options from equities from bonds etc

May the force be with you
Original post by Rokit
What brokers do you use?

I am looking for a new execution only broker since Barclays seem to be getting slower and slower

Please quote me as I know this thread gains a couple hundred posts per day

:-)

x-o.co.uk

£5.95 per trade :smile:
Reply 3989
Original post by Rokit
Try the "Using the Financial Pages" book by the Financial Times guide. I would also start reading the Companies and Markets, Money sections of papers.

To practice open a bullbearings account http://www.bullbearings.co.uk/ actually it should explain the process in there as well

The internet is your friend in this regard

Oh and fyi bonds have nothing to do with SnS which is why I recommend the Financial Times book as you need to separate the options from equities from bonds etc

May the force be with you

Appreciate your time.

Thanks alot.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.
WHY DID EVERYTHING FALL TODAY???

well...I mean everything I'm in
FX traders--Any of you trade AUD/USD? Thinking of trying it out to spice things up.
Original post by infernalcradle
WHY DID EVERYTHING FALL TODAY???

well...I mean everything I'm in

Same here bro. Initially my stocks were up half a percent, closed the day .2 percent negative. My MF's were .25 percent down. And I'm trying to get out of this EUR/USD long (went in at low 1.35's, before support was broken to the 34's)
Last week, after plenty of research, I shortlisted BP and IMG as potential stocks to buy into using some of my SAR profits. I went with BP partially spurred on by the fact it would be my first non-techMARK stock.

Today IMG releases an RNS announcing it has signed a licence agreement with STMicroelectronics and its share price jumps up 15%. Great.
Reply 3994
Original post by i.am.lost
Last week, after plenty of research, I shortlisted BP and IMG as potential stocks to buy into using some of my SAR profits. I went with BP partially spurred on by the fact it would be my first non-techMARK stock.

Today IMG releases an RNS announcing it has signed a licence agreement with STMicroelectronics and its share price jumps up 15%. Great.

Haha, always the way isn't it! I moved funds from Encore to Xcite a while back; then Encore went up 10% in a day and Xcite's dropped!
Reply 3995
hey,was wondering has anyone got any tips on what to invest in just sold my shares in rbs so got some money spare...
Original post by sul
In september 2010 I predicted ''50p tomorrow'' when Solomon Gold was 20p. It hit 85p the next day.

This post, my first in a few months, is a reiteration of a BUY for SOLG. This will be >£1 this week sometime, maybe tomorrow.

GUADALCANAL AND RANNES news soon.

:wink:

This looks unlikely now. Been watching a bit...
Rock chipping is the most unreliable exploration method around, and selectively quoting rock chipping is...well... worse. Unfortunately the RNS added no solid value to the company. Might even say detracted from it since releasing that sort of selective info is associated with a lot of the big frauds and let-downs of the industry (quick and easy, you can do lots of them and quote a few, and they are easy to 'salt' with a bit of extra gold to add some sparkle to your share price).

Not to say it won't rise eventually, just that this last RNS was worthless. If they could quote that kind of g/t from multiple RC or diamond drilling holes it would be worth a shedload.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3997
Original post by sara..x
hey,was wondering has anyone got any tips on what to invest in just sold my shares in rbs so got some money spare...

I would personally look at Encore Oil, Xcite Energy, and Europa Oil and Gas. All seem to be at their support levels with news soon to be released for all 3.

Encore are 2 drills through a 4 drill program; massively oversold on the last drill results (which were nowhere near as bad as people seem to think they were); should see 150p with the next drill in my opinion.

Xcite are expected to release a reserves upgrade in about 2 weeks (approximately, this is my opinion). Should mean that they officially have more oil than in the last reserves RNS. Share price should go somewhere between 420p and 450p in my opinion.

Europa expected to release news of West Firsby any time. Should show that they have more oil being produced per day and push the share price up to 47p in my opinion.

Of course, do your own research and look into other shares. These are all AIM so are VERY volatile compared to the likes of the larger companies on the FTSE 100 such as RBS. You may prefer to invest in a larger company and aim to make money from dividends etc rather than trading.
(edited 13 years ago)
Over 1k profit in RBS now! Only bought less than a month ago. Hope you all had good days too!
Reply 3999
Original post by delasandro
x-o.co.uk

£5.95 per trade :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending