The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr. Cool
I'm not sure it's that clear cut. I applied there twice - didn't get an interview the first time, but did get one the second time. The only substantial difference in my application was *enrolling* on evening AS Human Biology and Chem classes. I did tweak my personal statement and have an extra year of work experience (which I already had a lot of anyway) but I doubt those things made the difference.

Interesting to know!

Original post by HLS
Will probably just stick with Swansea as it has more places, but it's an effing mystery as to how they allocate them.

All the cool kids go to Swansea!

In all seriousness, I think Swansea is a good bet for a grad-entry application. I think they interview a third of all the applicants, and if you mess up the GAMSAT (like I did) you still have a shot.
Reply 5981
Makes me wonder if I should do some 'sciencey' a levels :tongue:. I am only applying for universities which look on ukcat / ps / degree though :s. Blah. :tongue:
Reply 5982
Can you do A levels whilst at university? I wanted to apply to Cambridge but you need AAA at A level to be competitive and I think maths will let me down (I can foresee a B, pfft), so I may take on A level physics, not sure :/
Reply 5983
Original post by bigAsh
Can you do A levels whilst at university? I wanted to apply to Cambridge but you need AAA at A level to be competitive and I think maths will let me down (I can foresee a B, pfft), so I may take on A level physics, not sure :/

You can do distance courses or find an evening course nearby. Both cost £££ though. I am currently trying to do AS and A2 biology (while going into my final year) and intend to do Chem AS and A2 at a college at the same time, one or two nights a week.
Original post by bigAsh

Honestly i wouldn't bother. Doing a degree is hard enough/stressful enough without having to worry about doing an A-level just for the sake of trying to get in to a specific university. Concentrate on your degree so that you can get the best grade in that. This would be my advice but at the end of the day it is your decision to make.
Bloody SLC. Telling me I'm not eligible for a maintenance loan! Time for an angry phone call!
Original post by Hantheman
Bloody SLC. Telling me I'm not eligible for a maintenance loan! Time for an angry phone call!

Hey someone else who is in the same boat as me. I need to give them a call again this week and see what is going on with my application also.

It took me about fifteen phonecalls. Now have the full maintenance loan :smile:
Well they're saying it's means tested, I thought it wasn't means tested?
Well they're saying it's means tested, I thought it wasn't means tested?

I thought there was a part which was means tested and a part that wasn't. Everyone should get at least something.
Original post by thisismycatch22
I thought there was a part which was means tested and a part that wasn't. Everyone should get at least something.

I've put forward an appeal. Mainly because whilst it's means tested, it's based on my parents last years wage and they're now retired anyway so income is drastically reduced.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5991
A few posts back I was wondering about taking on an A level at university so that say, for example, I wanted to apply for Cambridge Graduate Entry Medicine or another extremely competitive university where academics (of A level grades AAA) are given a heavy weighting and having such grades make you competitive.

I've noticed that entrance criteria for the standard 5 year course requires particular A level grades without resits beyond the 2 year A level period.

For the entrance criteria regarding graduate entry medicine in terms of A levels, no university states that you can't resit anything to boost up your result.

Could someone please shed some light on this? Are A level resits allowed or not for the 4 year graduate course? Hopefully I can resit just one module to boost my potential AAB (which I think I'll get) to AAA and make myself that bit more competitive. If not, I guess I'll just have to work harder!

Cheers guys.

Original post by Sparko13
Hey someone else who is in the same boat as me. I need to give them a call again this week and see what is going on with my application also.

I'm in the same boat. Still not getting any maintenance loan. :frown: Although, the student finance officer at my firm choice said that she will speak to them on my behalf so fingers crossed.
Reply 5993
Original post by bigAsh

I did - not sure I'd recommend it though! Ironically I only did it for the benefit of one medical school, and they were the first to reject me, so beyond that point it made no direct impact on my application.

I like to think that it was useful talking about it in my PS and in my interviews, though. In terms of proving my ability to multi-task, etc. But honestly, your degree classification is far more important.
Original post by bigAsh
A few posts back I was wondering about taking on an A level at university so that say, for example, I wanted to apply for Cambridge Graduate Entry Medicine or another extremely competitive university where academics (of A level grades AAA) are given a heavy weighting and having such grades make you competitive.

I've noticed that entrance criteria for the standard 5 year course requires particular A level grades without resits beyond the 2 year A level period.

For the entrance criteria regarding graduate entry medicine in terms of A levels, no university states that you can't resit anything to boost up your result.

Could someone please shed some light on this? Are A level resits allowed or not for the 4 year graduate course? Hopefully I can resit just one module to boost my potential AAB (which I think I'll get) to AAA and make myself that bit more competitive. If not, I guess I'll just have to work harder!

Cheers guys.

Personally, I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't already have the entry requirements because third year is hard enough without the extra pressure of taking an A-level or two.

I would ring the university that you are interested in and ask about their policy on resits.
(edited 12 years ago)
just wanted to ask is there any point in applying this year if you have not done any work experience related to medicine? does shadowing a GP or working in an Intensive care unit abroad count? I am so worried about not having any relavant work experience...I am currently on holiday and will not be back until i start work and so i wont have time to do any shadowing or work experience.
Original post by Ama2007
just wanted to ask is there any point in applying this year if you have not done any work experience related to medicine? does shadowing a GP or working in an Intensive care unit abroad count? I am so worried about not having any relavant work experience...I am currently on holiday and will not be back until i start work and so i wont have time to do any shadowing or work experience.

Working in an ICU counts yes hah. How long did work there for?
7th July 2011, The Times Higher Education:

If you find yourself in the accident and emergency ward in the middle of the night and are wondering which of the junior doctors it would be best to bet your life on, here's a tip: keep an eye out for the medics who look a little older, a little calmer and a little less hunted. They tend to be the doctors who went to medical school after having completed a degree in a different subject - the graduate-entry medics. And this is what they're like: they hit the wards in those terrifying first years with a bit more maturity and are generally better prepared than their peers who headed straight into medicine.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=416743#.ThsRmMek-_I.twitter
Reply 5998

Says at the end same thing as I've been doing about affordability of NHS Bursary not changing with tuition fee rises.

The woman who authored that dreadful MSC paper gave Lansley wriggle room to come up with this new loans/bursary hybrid policy (which won't last).
Reply 5999
Good article.

Latest

Trending

Trending