The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
OptomBee
mine names pretty obscure too, and i like it, but its gonna be tiresome to repeat myself when introducing myself to new people at uni next week.

EVERY single convo always goes like this:

"Hi, my name's XXXXXX, pleased to meet you!:smile: "

"Oh, Zibby-Zobby-Zob?:o: "

"No, my name's XXXXXX:smile: "

"Sorry?"

"XXXXXX"

NO-ONE.EVER.ASKS.A.THIRD.TIME.

the reason they never ask is because they're being very polite and British, but I always see a blank, uncomprehending look on their faces, so I take pity on them and ACTUALLY.SPELL.OUT.MY.NAME on the third instance.

I'm actually thinking of wearing a big sign around my neck at Fresher's Week to save the trouble. "HI, MY NAME'S XXXXXX :biggrin: "

lol. I get the same thing. Although my name is Kirsty, and fairly straightforward in my opinion, I don't think a single person has ever pronounced it right the first time they say it. :facepalm2: And instead of spelling it out for them, I tell them it rhymes with 'thirsty' and it's like seeing an invisible light bulb going off above their head. But hopefully at university everyone will get it. :smile:
Reply 81
My name is Chloe, I dislike it. I think Chloe and Jack were top baby names at one point, and there was about 7 Chloe's in my year.
I wish my parents called me Chandler !! :frown:
Reply 83
oh_adele
Hah. Yes, Adéle is my real name. :biggrin:
I knew a couple of girls at sixth form called Adele, a couple of years ago. They don't spell it with the accent, though, as far as I know. Really nice girls, but I noticed that neither of them were incredibly tall.

I've known a lot of Mikes, and Dans. If course, I know Dave (and not just A Dave, but The Dave), and Bob.

I don't get why people seem to have this thing for giving kids 'exotic' names from across the world, when there's nothing exotic about the kids or the parents. I think people should look into England's own history for names; there are some really good Anglo-Saxon ones like Aidan or Nyle (pronounced like Niel) for boys, or Odella or Daisy for girls. There are millions of them.

I knew one girl at school who had a baby. She decided to call it JJ, and when she came up with what JJ would stand for, she decided on 'Jacob James.' She asked me to transliterate it into Arabic* for a tatoo (because I had a reputation for being able to transcribe a few other languages), and I pointed out that Jacob is simply Hebrew for James. A name overdone so badly that a mother called it her son, twice! :smile:

*I don't know why Arabic, and I don't know why she asked me, since I only knew the Futhark, Hebrew, and Uncial Greek writing systems then.
My name's not overly popular (Ella) but the thing is with popular names people always know how to spell them etc, ok i probably speak quite quietly but seriously, someones called me helen before, emma, ellie, etc, so not quite a popular name problem. but pronouncing my name is a pain! and it's not even that hard! it's 4 letters! D:
Reply 85
oh_adele: did you only use the wrong accent on your name because you don't have the correct one on your PC? Or because your parents spelt it with the wrong accent when they gave it to you?
Everyone knows a Dave.

(Said Radio 1... Once.)
Reply 87
Lizia
Is Kirsty not a common name in Canada then? I would have thought you'd have no problem with it in England, it's a fairly common girls name. Most people would have heard of it, even if they didn't personally know someone with the name, and I doubt many people would have problems spelling or pronouncing it :s-smilie:

In all my life here, I have only ever met one other Kirsti, but often I get a wide variety of variations, everything from Kristy, to Kirsten, to Kiersten, the ' Is it short for Christine?'. Barely anyone here is familiar with the name, the exception being British immigrants.
And I'm okay with it being somewhat common in the UK :smile: as its a rarity here, so not having to correct everyone on how to pronounce it will be awesome!
Reply 88
Titch89
I noticed that too. Mine isn't Louise, thankfully. (nothing against the name; just how popular it is as a middle name)

same, i was extremely thankful...it's an 'L' initial though...and i swear to god everyone presumed...people would come up to me, or if i said guess etc, they'd tell me it was Louise...and i was lieing when i said it wasn't!!!
total joke lol.
Reply 89
How is Finlay more popular than Duncan?? lol
KirstyK
lol. I get the same thing. Although my name is Kirsty, and fairly straightforward in my opinion, I don't think a single person has ever pronounced it right the first time they say it. :facepalm2: And instead of spelling it out for them, I tell them it rhymes with 'thirsty' and it's like seeing an invisible light bulb going off above their head. But hopefully at university everyone will get it. :smile:

Your name is beautiful and easy speech does not by any problems ,at least remains better than my name :^_^:
I expect it's difficult to pronounce the name of " Nasser " :mute:
There were loads of Daniels, Sarahs, kirstys and kayley(eigh)s at my old school.

Theres loads of Chris's where I work (including myself) and there are some regional names as well. Ann-marie seems to be quite popular around Manchester.

Latest