Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in for personalised advice on applying to uni New here? Join for free to post

Number of lines on the personal statement

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Say I have four paragraphs - will I need to leave a blank line between each as viewed on the Preview, or will just pressing Enter be enough? 47 lines isn't enough if I need to the former, seems like a waste to let 3 of those 47 be blank.

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just indent, don't bother with a whole line for each new paragraph.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to leave the lines between paragraphs. I've read sometimes people just put a tab where the next paragraph begins.

However I personally think it looks neater with lines between paragraphs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just pressing enter and leaving an indent is fine and easily recognisable as a seperate paragraph. If you have 3 lines worth of good things to say then definately don't waste it
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always advisde people to leave lines between paragraphs of their personal statements. Contrary to what the previous posters have said, you cannot use an indent, as all such formatting is removed by the UCAS system, and leaving paragraphs without lines between them leaves your PS as an unreadable block of unrelieved text guaranteed to give the admissions tutor a headache and to put him or her in a bad mood. You don't want that, do you?

I have yet to see a PS submitted for review that wouldn't benefit from losing sufficient material to allow blank lines.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Difficult when I'm on the brink of 4000 characters solid - it seems very 20th Century to have something as mundane as lines left between paragraphs be an irritant. I'll see what I can cut out then, otherwise it's good old indent for me.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedefiningForm)
    otherwise it's good old indent for me.
    No it isn't. As I said earlier, the UCAS system removes all such formatting as indents, italics, boldening, extra spaces and special fonts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bah sorry for the wrong information I must have incorrectly read information on the TSR wiki about indents!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No it isn't. As I said earlier, the UCAS system removes all such formatting as indents, italics, boldening, extra spaces and special fonts.
    By extra spaces, does that mean tabbing as well?

I think I read it on studential, so I don't have any experience doing it myself =]
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrChem)
    By extra spaces, does that mean tabbing as well?
    It does.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to leave a line but i think its looks better structurally if you do. I did it applying three years ago for uni and i'm going to do it again when applying for my masters. I just think it looks better and easier to read
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    UCAS form uses a different indent than MS Word, make sure you use the correct one.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    UCAS form uses a different indent than MS Word, make sure you use the correct one.
    Just how many times does it have to be repeated that you cannot use indents on the UCAS system?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've written about 3900 characters but I'm on about 53 lines. I'm tempted to leave out the blank lines but I agree it makes it hard to read. I just don't know how else I'm going to make the limit
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Just how many times does it have to be repeated that you cannot use indents on the UCAS system?
    I meant that a UCAS line holds a different amount of characters than the standard MS Word line. No need for the attitude.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    I meant that a UCAS line holds a different amount of characters than the standard MS Word line. No need for the attitude.
    Then what you are talking about is a different margin. This is not the same thing as an indent. Please use the correct language if you are going to advise people without misleading them.

If you read the PS questions sticky thread in the UCAS and applications forum you'll see some advice on comparing MS Word documents with the UCAS system.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP's question has been answered I think. For further information/queries like this see the Personal Statement Questions Thread.
Updated: September 11, 2009
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.