The Student Room Group

UCAS personal statement

I pasted my personal statement onto the UCAS personal statement section. Should I leave a line, or does it not matter? I've written 5 paragraphs, but they are combined.
Original post by metricmetric
I pasted my personal statement onto the UCAS personal statement section. Should I leave a line, or does it not matter? I've written 5 paragraphs, but they are combined.

Ideally yes you should leave blank lines between each paragraph.

This might mean editing your PS down to a more concise length.
Original post by metricmetric

There is no need to leave a line, that what my teacher told me
Original post by AsadAlsaied

Whilst it’s technically not needed, it helps a lot with readability at the other end. If someone is reading dozens of statements that day, you don’t want to make it harder for them to spot the info they need.
Original post by AsadAlsaied

As someone who works with admissions staff I can assure you that brevity and good formatting is far more beneficial than cramming in an additional 5 lines of writing.

I have never read a PS that wouldn’t benefit from editing to reduce the word and line count.

When staff are skim reading your PS in 30s to 2 minutes it’s important to make it easy for them to read the most important information. Drowning them with words isn’t going to improve your chances of an offer.

I’m sure your teacher thought they were being helpful. That doesn’t make them right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending