The Student Room Group

4000 characters or 47 lines

If I write my personal statement and it is within the 4000 characters but 10 lines over the 47 line limit, would I need to re-write it or is it a case of whichever requirement I get to first (and the latter part of my statement won't be cut off)?
Original post by kimmy_
If I write my personal statement and it is within the 4000 characters but 10 lines over the 47 line limit, would I need to re-write it or is it a case of whichever requirement I get to first (and the latter part of my statement won't be cut off)?

Make sure you have written it within the 47 lines guidelines.
You should be able to get the 4000 characters within this....

Is UCAS 47 lines or 4000 characters....
Remember, it can only be 4,000 characters, which is about two sides of A4. So, you'll need to use your words wisely to fit everything in. You can find a full guide on How to start a personal statement: the attention grabber, but here are the main things to think about. Don't overthink the opening.
https://www.ucas.com how-write-...
How To Write Your Undergraduate Personal Statement - UCAS
Original post by kimmy_

Whichever limit comes first, 4000 characters or 47 lines, than you stop writing
Original post by kimmy_

Hello,

The rules here are pretty simple:
- Don't go over 4,000 characters
- Don't go over 47 lines
It's not an either/or, it's a double rule.

If you have 3,800 characters and 48 lines, that isn't allowed.
Similarly, if you have 45 lines and 4,001 characters, that is also not allowed.
You have to fit everything into 4,000 characters AND 47 lines. You can't go over either of these in your statement.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Reply 4
The simplest way to check if you are within the limit - 'save', and it will tell you if you are over it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending