The Student Room Group

personal statement

Is it possible to have two personal statements, I want to apply to medicine and optometry but I am finding it difficult to write a personal statement that encapsulates both the courses? Does anyone have any advice for this please it would be so appreciated. My whole uni application is really stressing me out as I am applying independently.
Original post by yaraalin
Is it possible to have two personal statements, I want to apply to medicine and optometry but I am finding it difficult to write a personal statement that encapsulates both the courses? Does anyone have any advice for this please it would be so appreciated. My whole uni application is really stressing me out as I am applying independently.

You can only provide one personal statement to UCAS, unfortunately, and they will forward it to all the unis to which you are applying.

Some unis will allow you to provide them an additional personal statement directly to them, so they'll receive the "main" one from UCAS and then a separate one from you directly. You would need to contact each of the unis to which you want to send the "other" statement, to establish whether they are happy to receive it and how you should send it to them.

I know that both Cambridge and Durham accept additional personal statements; but I don't know the full list of those which would accept one.
(Presuming it's 4 x med options?)

I'd contact the optometry choice and see if they'll accept a PS sent directly to them.

I would not try and address both subjects under a single statement.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
You can only provide one personal statement to UCAS, unfortunately, and they will forward it to all the unis to which you are applying.

Some unis will allow you to provide them an additional personal statement directly to them, so they'll receive the "main" one from UCAS and then a separate one from you directly. You would need to contact each of the unis to which you want to send the "other" statement, to establish whether they are happy to receive it and how you should send it to them.

I know that both Cambridge and Durham accept additional personal statements; but I don't know the full list of those which would accept one.

Okay, thankyou I will contact all the unis and ask them if they accept additional personal statements!
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
(Presuming it's 4 x med options?)

I'd contact the optometry choice and see if they'll accept a PS sent directly to them.

I would not try and address both subjects under a single statement.

It's not, im a resit student and not all med schools accept that so I had to make a list of med schools I can apply to, from that I took my ucat and shortlisted the list to unis that would take me with my ucat score which ended up only being two unis. I have a strong passion to studying medicine and so I decided i should apply strategically and take the chance by applying, at least then I know I've done everything at least, so its 2 med schools and 3 for optom, but I'll contact the optom choices and ask them because I know med schools like when youre more dedicated to them so basing the personal statement on optom sounds risky
It's not, im a resit student and not all med schools accept that so I had to make a list of med schools I can apply to, from that I took my ucat and shortlisted the list to unis that would take me with my ucat score which ended up only being two unis. I have a strong passion to studying medicine and so I decided i should apply strategically and take the chance by applying, at least then I know I've done everything at least, so its 2 med schools and 3 for optom, but I'll contact the optom choices and ask them because I know med schools like when youre more dedicated to them so basing the personal statement on optom sounds risky

Yes, I would still prioritise the med applications. Optometry is likely to be less focussed on the PS, or may accept another one if they are feeling kind.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, I would still prioritise the med applications. Optometry is likely to be less focussed on the PS, or may accept another one if they are feeling kind.

Thankyou!! Do you happen to know about another issue I'm having, as I'm applying independently i am learning the content with this online tuitioning course, I had to submit papers to get proof to get my predicted grades but they cant act as my UCAS referee as they dont know me and my predicted grades and reference have to be linked to a centre. I contacted my sixth form to get a reference from them but they said I cant apply linked to them I honestly dont know why as I know they did it for another girl last year as she told me but i dont know. they told me apply myself and put them as a referee but with that does it mean i cant add predicted grades? I even contacted UCAS about it but its all so stressful as my uni application dead line is basically in 2 weeks now
Thankyou!! Do you happen to know about another issue I'm having, as I'm applying independently i am learning the content with this online tuitioning course, I had to submit papers to get proof to get my predicted grades but they cant act as my UCAS referee as they dont know me and my predicted grades and reference have to be linked to a centre. I contacted my sixth form to get a reference from them but they said I cant apply linked to them I honestly dont know why as I know they did it for another girl last year as she told me but i dont know. they told me apply myself and put them as a referee but with that does it mean i cant add predicted grades? I even contacted UCAS about it but its all so stressful as my uni application dead line is basically in 2 weeks now

You can't add predicted grades anyway. Your referee does that. If you have predicted grades from the company providing your online course, then forward those your school, list the school as your referee (which they've said they're happy with) and ask them to add those predicted grades to your application when they add the reference.

They might be concerned that the predicted grades could have been tampered with by you before being forwarded on; if so, ask the company who provided them to e-mail them directly to the school.
Reply 8
You can't add predicted grades anyway. Your referee does that. If you have predicted grades from the company providing your online course, then forward those your school, list the school as your referee (which they've said they're happy with) and ask them to add those predicted grades to your application when they add the reference.

They might be concerned that the predicted grades could have been tampered with by you before being forwarded on; if so, ask the company who provided them to e-mail them directly to the school.

Okay thankyou I'll do that!! I have a meeting with her next week but I'm scared she's going to say no to that. I already kind of suggested it and she said she cant provide predicted grades as on the day of results day the uni will look to that school for my results but won't find it there. I'm not completely sure though and I will revisit the idea on the day of the meeting, i really hope she says yes so its a huge weight off of my shoulders.
Okay thankyou I'll do that!! I have a meeting with her next week but I'm scared she's going to say no to that. I already kind of suggested it and she said she cant provide predicted grades as on the day of results day the uni will look to that school for my results but won't find it there. I'm not completely sure though and I will revisit the idea on the day of the meeting, i really hope she says yes so its a huge weight off of my shoulders.

Unis don't receive A level results from schools, they receive them from UCAS. What is important is that in your UCAS application you enter the centre number where you will be taking the exams (this almost won't be your school's centre number). If this is wrong, then when UCAS receive the results from exam boards, then won't be able to match those results to your application and so won't be able to forward those results to your firm / insurance unis.
Reply 10
Unis don't receive A level results from schools, they receive them from UCAS. What is important is that in your UCAS application you enter the centre number where you will be taking the exams (this almost won't be your school's centre number). If this is wrong, then when UCAS receive the results from exam boards, then won't be able to match those results to your application and so won't be able to forward those results to your firm / insurance unis.

Okay thank you loads!! I'll see if I can get this whole mess sorted out when I meet her in three days hopefully!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending