The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
*waits anxiously*

I think I'll apply for this too! I really like the look of the course (..and I'm also slightly tempted by the English with year in the USA degree)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Workload - fine. 1 book a week per module.
Contact hours a week? 4-8. Twelve max if you include the occasional film screening or extra seminar.
Honestly? They could squeeze it into 2 years if they felt like it.
I did enjoy it, but as a joint honours student I did enjoy the Classics element of my course more.
Reply 3
bump.
Hmm. Honest answer?
I've found it quite boring and have rattled along on a 2.1 with very little effort. I've had 6 hours a week both years (going into my third year) but if I made it in for 4 hours a week then it was a good week.

Not to put you off as some people love it. And really the more you put in the more you get out.
I'm looking forward to my third year as it's basically a film studies degree in disguise.

Good points:
Most lecturers and seminar tutors are really into it and this can be inspiring.
Few contact hours mean plenty of time for a part time job and other activities.
Work load is surprisingly easy. My friends doing pyschology do much more work than me and way more essays.
Module choices in 2nd and 3rd year are varied, allowing you to really study what interests you.
Option to study in usa for a year (really wish i'd done this)

Bad points
It's extremely easy to just troll along. I can count on one hand the number of books I actually read all the way through (for both years).
All that spare time gives you lots of time to wonder what you're doing and where english is going to take you.

hope that has helped! i've tried really hard to give a balanced answer :smile:
Reply 5
yeah that is great thanks!
did you do a joint honours english and film studies, then?
No this is single honours. Although if you do 2 film modules in 2nd year and 2 in your 3rd then I think it gets classed as "English with film" or "English and film". Don't quote me on that though.

There is just quite a good variety of modules, like for example I'm doing "Writing the short film" and the creative writing dissertation where I get to write a screenplay, still under the name of Ba English.

Latest

Trending

Trending