The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

English at Exeter

I’ve received offers from Bristol and Exeter to study English this September. Originally I leaned more toward Bristol as the course and city appealed more to me. However, when I visited I wasn’t keen on the accommodation nor the fact it wasn’t a campus university. Despite Exeter being quite a small city, the community looks good and accommodation seems far much better, particularly as most are on campus. I also like the course and travel opportunities.
I’m 21 and have just finished an access course, with little experience in exams. I phoned Exeter to get more of an insight into the English exams which amount to around 40%. I was told most would be online open book 24 hour exams which seems more doable for me as memory and in person exams are not my strong point. Could anyone doing English at Exeter tell me if there are any closed book exams or in person exams? Bristol is completely coursework based with only a few timed assessments in first year. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Izzy68xx
I’ve received offers from Bristol and Exeter to study English this September. Originally I leaned more toward Bristol as the course and city appealed more to me. However, when I visited I wasn’t keen on the accommodation nor the fact it wasn’t a campus university. Despite Exeter being quite a small city, the community looks good and accommodation seems far much better, particularly as most are on campus. I also like the course and travel opportunities.
I’m 21 and have just finished an access course, with little experience in exams. I phoned Exeter to get more of an insight into the English exams which amount to around 40%. I was told most would be online open book 24 hour exams which seems more doable for me as memory and in person exams are not my strong point. Could anyone doing English at Exeter tell me if there are any closed book exams or in person exams? Bristol is completely coursework based with only a few timed assessments in first year. Thanks! :smile:

Hiya, not an English student myself but I know quite a few people who do study English, including a few people who've graduated this year. I've checked with them and as far as they're aware, no English modules have closed book or in person exams. If there are, they'll likely be clearly stated when choosing your modules though, and if you do any modules outside of the English department then that may change. Hope this helps!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Izzy68xx

Hi Izzy,

Congratulations on your offers! It's also great to hear you like Exeter:smile:.

I'm not an English student myself but if you do want to speak to English students studying at Exeter you can use a platform called Unibuddy. The ambassadors on the platform are current students and should be able to answer questions about your course. I've linked the webpage here. It's a great opportunity to chat to current students, and you many find yourself asking more and more questions (which is great!).

I apologise that I can't answer your specific questions but I completely understand you wanting to find out. My memory during exams is not my strong point either, and I've done many open book 24 hour exams and they're great in that if you forget something, it's ok! You also have the time and freedom to really delve into a topic (which means essays are generally a lot better).

I hope this has been somewhat helpful. If you do have any other questions, I'm more than happy to help! I have also linked the English course page here if you haven't already had a look. If you scroll down to the 'Course content' section, you can find all the modules you could do. If you click on the module info (or search the module code name) you can find a description of the modules, module aims, teaching methods, and how they are being assessed. For example, the first year module 'Approaches to Criticism' info page is linked here, and it appears there is an essay, take home exam and module participation mark. (Summative means assessed, and formative marks don't count towards your grade - they're usually there for practice).

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending