The Student Room Group

I've made all the wrong choices!

Ok so I'm really upset because I applied to all the wrong universities.

I applied to do a combined course of Psychology and Sociology and then I realised that only one of my chosen universities has this joint course accredited by the British Psychological Society.

I didn't realise that taking a combined course would be such a problem and the BPS is more selective in terms of accredited courses by the minute.

Fortunately, I could still go and speak to my referee tomorrow and see If I can change my university choices.

Should I do that? If not, what should I do?
Definitely do that if your form hasn't been sent yet you still have the option to change all your choices.

If it has been sent off...I'm not sure what your next step could be.
Reply 2
Yes, if you can, yes.

If you aim to be a psychologist in the future, it's a no brainer here. I get what you mean, I was looking ay psychology with Criminology to begin with, and saw the same problem.

However, you may be able to do something at uni, maybe postgrad, that can give you BPS accreditation if you don't get it to begin with.
Reply 3
discombobulation
Definitely do that if your form hasn't been sent yet you still have the option to change all your choices.

If it has been sent off...I'm not sure what your next step could be.

They won't send it to the universities yet because my referee has to look at it first. With any luck I can still change my options but I'm just so damn frustrated, I liked the universities I was applying to. But without the BPS accreditation I can never become a psychologist, which is what I want to do after I graduate!
Reply 4
aliluvschoc
Yes, if you can, yes.

If you aim to be a psychologist in the future, it's a no brainer here. I get what you mean, I was looking ay psychology with Criminology to begin with, and saw the same problem.

However, you may be able to do something at uni, maybe postgrad, that can give you BPS accreditation if you don't get it to begin with.

thanks, I didnt know there was another way of becoming a member of the BPS. Does that mean that if I do a postgraduate course I can still become a psychologist?
You can get accreditation through a masters programme, but if you really can't resolve yourself and feel terrible then the best thing for your morale - and ultimately your resulting performance - would be to change if you can.
Reply 6
Eva2
thanks, I didnt know there was another way of becoming a member of the BPS. Does that mean that if I do a postgraduate course I can still become a psychologist?

I only saw it briefly so I could be wrong, but I seem to think there was ... a way... of doing it. But of course that's 1...2, even 3 years plus on your degree.
Reply 7
aliluvschoc
Yes, if you can, yes.

Hey i just saw your signature about going to Kent and I was just wondering, what's the minimun requirement over there for a combined course of psychology and sociology? I checked on the website but it doesnt specify.
Reply 8
It's ok, I got it all sorted. In the end I've applied to Kent, Nottingham Trent, Buckinghamshire New, Greenwich and Brunel University. :smile:
Should be fine. Thanks for all your replies.
Reply 9
if i were you, id only study something accredited. who knows what garbage they could be teaching you?
Reply 10
girl0808
if i were you, id only study something accredited. who knows what garbage they could be teaching you?

That's not the problem. Just because a psychology joint course isn't accredited doesn't mean that the course in itself isn't good.
The thing is I'm not yet sure whether or not I want to be a psychologist, but I certainly want to keep that option open, and taking a course which is not accredited would just close that door for me.

Anyway it's all sorted out now.

Latest

Trending

Trending