The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do about my future...

I am about to choose my GCSEs, and honestly, I don't know what to do.
I've been dreaming about becoming a successful businesswoman or a famous lawyer. I've dreamed about going to Oxbridge, being independent, and making my own money.
Now, I am starting to reconsider my future. When I was younger I used to write short stories and poems and had a passion for movies and books. I thought about becoming an author or a film producer, but I always thought about it as something that would've happened in a different reality.
I've always been the one who wanted to change the world, who wanted to do something important. My parents said that I should have a job that makes me happy, and honestly, I don't know what makes me happy.
I don't to be in that kind of situation where me and my parents would argue about my life choices (for example instead of becoming a lawyer, I choose to be an author). And I wonder: 'What if I would fail as an author/producer? Would my parents say I told you so and start telling me how wrong I am?'
I know it doesn't seem like a big deal. I know that it's weird that I am thinking about it even if I haven't done my GCSEs yet. I know that I am dramatic, but I don't know what to do.
I just need help and some advice. My friends don't understand me, and I am not ready to talk about this with my family. I don't want to be a big disappointment. I don't want to fail in life.
I know my parents want what's best for me. They told me that my job should make me happy. And right now I don't know what to choose, I have no idea what would make me happy... I have many options and I don't want to choose one and realise that I made the wrong decision.
Does anyone have some advice?
Original post by deliascutaru
I've been dreaming about becoming a successful businesswoman or a famous lawyer. I've dreamed about going to Oxbridge, being independent, and making my own money.
Now, I am starting to reconsider my future. When I was younger I used to write short stories and poems and had a passion for movies and books. I thought about becoming an author or a film producer, but I always thought about it as something that would've happened in a different reality.
I've always been the one who wanted to change the world, who wanted to do something important. My parents said that I should have a job that makes me happy, and honestly, I don't know what makes me happy.
I don't to be in that kind of situation where me and my parents would argue about my life choices (for example instead of becoming a lawyer, I choose to be an author). And I wonder: 'What if I would fail as an author/producer? Would my parents say I told you so and start telling me how wrong I am?'
I know it doesn't seem like a big deal. I know that it's weird that I am thinking about it even if I haven't done my GCSEs yet. I know that I am dramatic, but I don't know what to do.
I just need help and some advice. My friends don't understand me, and I am not ready to talk about this with my family. I don't want to be a big disappointment. I don't want to fail in life.
I know my parents want what's best for me. They told me that my job should make me happy. And right now I don't know what to choose, I have no idea what would make me happy... I have many options and I don't want to choose one and realise that I made the wrong decision.

Choose what you’re good at and what you enjoy, you don’t need to be worrying about future jobs yet!
I've wrote an article about the skills, qualities, and useful subjects you can take, for becoming a film producer, or keeping your options open.

https://www.reflectionscareercoaching.co.uk/post/exploring-the-role-of-a-film-and-tv-producer

You'll also find some other articles and ones that point to further resources.

Hope they help with you career exploration and its always worth taking a workshop or class in something you're interested in, to see how it feels. Even if it's not the right choice, you may find elements you enjoy which point you towards your true purpose and passions.
Reply 3

Best thing is to try a few things. Some ideas we have we end up not even enjoying. This is the o ly real way to know for you and no-one else. Take a few years to play before commiting to anything.
Reply 4

Any subjects that you absolutelt won't do? How many can you choose? What sort of careers you thinking maybe of?

GCSE subjects don't matter that much apart from for what a levels you choose. For GCSEs just get the best grades you can.

Author and Producer you don't need specific gcses - just talent! Same for business.

I'd just choose what makes you happy and what you'll do well in.

Also be open with your parents about your options - you're open to Oxbridge or to drama school or to starting a business etc. Let them know
Reply 5

If I could offer some words of wisdom. You have your whole life ahead of you right now and believe me, in 20 years time, the choices you are making now will be completely insignificant. The only thing you really need to think about is the next couple of years and even then, if you get this choice wrong, you have not done yourself out of anything.

So if you ask me, pick all the subjects you enjoy and that you will be good at. No doubt you are studying maths, English, science, a language and a humanity and as long as you do well in these you will close no doors when you get to 16. And even if you supposedly pick the wrong options at 16 you can still go back and change your mind.

As for your future future. Well you don't know what you want to do just like most, so go where the wind blows you, enjoy the journey and make sure you focus on what you like and what makes you happy.

All the very best of luck for a fabulous future.

Quick Reply

Latest