The Student Room Group

Why are Eastern European nations and Russia so racist

A black friend of mine has just come back from Russia and Poland, he told me the amount of racist abuse he got was really bad. Also he was stopped several times by police in Russia and he had to cut his visit to Poland short because he couldn't take the abuse he got. Everywhere he went in Russia people would stare and in some cases small crowds would come to a stand still. WTF!!!

I thought the UK was bad, but this really takes the P.

What are your thoughts, is racism really bad there, what experiences have you had if your non white and been to an eastern european country?

Scroll to see replies

It's because no outsider can compare to the mighty and glorious Soviet Union.

In seriousness, it's bad simply because people have been brought up with lessons that foreigners are bad, mainly because of wartime superstitions. It's the same reason that Japan is very xenophobic, because the older generations were taught that their country is superior and foreigners are not to be trusted.
Reply 2
in russia they don't like(hate) imigrants and black guy in moscow is rather bad, considering a lot of people from other countries get beaten up, i think he is lucky just to get abuse...

as in poland, i think its just that they are not used to seeing other colour people and some poles i work with are rather dumb(not all of them ofcourse! my sisters BF is a cracking guy! )

tbh there are few black guys at my work place, and one guy in particular pees me right off.
Reply 3
I think its to do with supremacy and power more than what happed during the war.
Reply 4
yeah i would say that in poland or any other eastern european country its quite unusual to see different race people because theres not many of them dere thats why if you look different than majority people will look at you in different way but i would say that will change in time ( hopefully :wink:
its usually coz they are not used to seeing ppl that are not like them...and coz they hardly meet ppl that are different they cannot understand them and judge them without knowing which is why they stare ot give funny looks
Because of Stalin.
Reply 7
Are they? Where I live they're very friendly :biggrin:
I'm from Hungary and whereas this is one of the more civilised nations this side of the Iron Curtain, there is indeed a growing tendency to discriminate against non-white people, or anyone a little different in fact (for instance, you can't really be out here if you're gay).

Reasons? Manifold, and not something that you can easily put your finger on. Due to a substantial gypsy minority and the population's generic animosity towards them, anyone else with non-white skin is also bound to have abuse hurled at them. Besides there is a sense of national pride, and a lack of tolerance. In one word, not a very liberal country in the Western European sense.
Because their political parties promote a strong sense of national pride, which is misinterpreted as an excuse to be racist by many. I read a book on the rise of racism in Poland and that was basically the cause.
Donnahh
Are they? Where I live they're very friendly :biggrin:

I'm not surprised, because OP - no offence of anything - hasn't anybody told you that you can get good and bad people everywhere??

Canada is probably the least racist country I've been to, and even there I'm sure there are racists (so I've heard anyway).

Just.. it's not you! So don't worry about it. People generally keep to themselves, and unless someone actually approaches you and is unpleasant in person, who cares seriously. HTH. :smile:
Reply 11
It is ironic that Poland is considered a racist country considering they come here taking our jobs.
Reply 12
danni_bella
I'm not surprised, because OP - no offence of anything - hasn't anybody told you that you can get good and bad people everywhere??

Canada is probably the least racist country I've been to, and even there I'm sure there are racists (so I've heard anyway).

Just.. it's not you! So don't worry about it. People generally keep to themselves, and unless someone actually approaches you and is unpleasant in person, who cares seriously. HTH. :smile:

Couldn't of said it better myself!
ajtiesto
Everywhere he went in Russia people would stare and in some cases small crowds would come to a stand still. WTF!!!
Haha that'd be fun!

I'd lap it up :smile:

I used to do a bit of promotional modeling, and often at car shows there'd be this sea of blondes, then me (tanned brunette) - so I'd stand out. Whether in a good way or bad, I don't really know or care, but let's just say I was always called back to work again. $$$ :wink: :biggrin:
Yeah I saw some pretty horrific stuff from Current TV on racism in Russia.

Blacks, Asians, Indians.. They all suffer from it there..
Most nations on Earth are far, far more racist than we are here in the UK.
because they're backward
Reply 17
Major Spoiler
It's because no outsider can compare to the mighty and glorious Soviet Union.

In seriousness, it's bad simply because people have been brought up with lessons that foreigners are bad, mainly because of wartime superstitions. It's the same reason that Japan is very xenophobic, because the older generations were taught that their country is superior and foreigners are not to be trusted.

That's not really true, i don't think - most people in Eastern Europe dream of moving out of Eastern Europe. I think it's because they have had little experience of non-white people and that which they had might not have been the happiest.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=187f699ac9

Watch this if you want a glimpse of the violence in Russia
Reply 19
Racism is a mix of stupidity and ignorance.

I think the problem is the latter; those countries are not exposed to foreigners as much as the West is due to immigration so they haven't had a chance to learn that we are all the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending