The Student Room Group

Help on advising my girlfriend at uni?

Basically, my girlfriend wants to go to uni to study a degree in photography, however, i can't help but think that theres not a lot in photography and the career prospects aren't amazing (but i think it would be an enjoyable degree).

Anyone know of any courses related to photography, which could also offer something at the end?

Any advice would be great thanks.
Reply 1
Whats stopping her from being a professional photographer? They get paid BUCKKKS and she most likely would want to be a photographer if shes choosing to do do photography?
Reply 2
x-pri-x
Whats stopping her from being a professional photographer? They get paid BUCKKKS and she most likely would want to be a photographer if shes choosing to do do photography?

She does want to be a photographer of some sort, but im fairly sure theres not a huge demand for photographers? However, i could be wrong
It's a hard market to break into, definitely difficult to do it from the artistic route. I guess if you get picked up by a magazine or something and do regular photoshoots/commissions, you'll be paid pretty well. (My sister wants to do the same thing.)
Reply 4
A lot of industries are hard to crack into, but if its really what she wants to do, then thats her choice - I'd rather be broke doing something I love, than get by in a job I really hate
My friend did a BA (Hons) Contemporary Film & Video - she did a lot of photography on the course as well as film production.

Aside from that there's nothing wrong with a photography degree if that's what she really to do - it might work out for her if she's dedicated and talented (and lucky)!
Reply 6
Fair comments :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending