The Student Room Group

How can I really impress universities ?

Hey

Im currently on a gap year, applying for V100 history for 2010 entry.
Basically this year, i didnt do too great on the IB. I got 32 when i was predicted 38. However, rather than settle for a place in clearing, either my determination or stupidity made me take a gap year, and resit 2 of my exams in November and reapply. Why ? because I really, really, really really want to go to Warwick or UCL ( I love both places...dont ask why).

Now, even though Im confident Ill get my grades (they both require 38 points i think), they told me that even though they consider resit students, they will only really accept them if they are spectacular in their presonal statement/otherwise. My GCSE's are average (6 As, 3Bs and a C) but I reckon i could get 38 IB points in November.

So my only tool is my PS.... Ive already got down my work experience at 3 law firms and a summer vacation scheme at Accenture, as well as a part time gap year job at my local town museum as a guide (my town has a lot of medieval history to it). Ive also got things down such as a young scientist workshop i did last year at University of Surrey and some other cool stuff about my passion for history. But is there anything I should do that would make me stand out as a candidate ? i just dont want to seem so bland that both reject me due to my grades/situation, and that the year out meant nothing.

thanks
Reply 1
ps. In my exams, I also scored a level 7 in history (which is the top grade) at HL, surely this would be to my advantage ?
Reply 2
Wow you seem to have a good variety of activities to set you out from the crowd. Perhaps some books you've read, just to give it a bit of academic backbone? I know that sounds bland but you wouldn't have to write about it toooo much - just to show you have some deeper interest and knowledge. Just a suggestion. Sounds like you've got some good stuff to go on though :smile:
Reply 3
cool. Its just the resits idea that is quite daunting. UCL is kind of risky but Warwick seems quite reasonable, and a fantastic course !

Latest

Trending

Trending