The Student Room Group

Im in a Pickle! Help!

Basically I got two C's at A level, I wasn't very focused on what I wanted to do as a career in six form. After plenty of thought I realised my passion is music and that I should fulfil my passion by taking it further with Higher Education.

My problem is that most University's ask for grade's in relevant subjects to music. Seeing as I took Computing an History for A level it doesn't really relate to music...

Anyway I am currently attending college doing foundation national diploma in music. Is there a quicker way to get into University? or do I have to do this years national diploma then the other two years on top?

It just seems that's a long time before getting into university. Im currently 18 years old.

Here's a few additional notes. I know all the grade 5 rockschool songs well, should I do this grade or move on to grade 8 and will this help get me into university?

I forgot to note I play guitar.

Thanks for your time any help is an advantage.

(*Note sure if this topic goes in this forum section*)
I'd just stick it out for the duration of the course (esp if it's only a year) and then transfer over onto a degree

Probably the easiest and quickest way, tbh.
Reply 2
The difficulty of the situation depends on whether said pickle is in a jar or not. If it is in a jar you will suffocate on the pickle juice once you finish eating through the interior of the pickle and your best bet would be to hope that some ****** up person who likes pickles opens the jar and lets you out without eating you. However the chances of him eating you are quite high, thus the survival rates are slim. If the pickle is in a sandwich you have to act quick before someone takes a bit of said sandwich. Start eating and clawing your way out of the pickle and try not to puke over yourself after you've eaten your bodyweight in said pickled vegetable. If you do throw up, make sure you don't throw up in the place you are digging otherwise things will get stick and grim. When you're out you may be tempted to eat other parts of the sandwich, such as bacon or chicken strips [or if the sandwich is vegetarian, salad leaves :yucky:[also this may not happen as you are already full of pickle :nn:]] Do not be tempted, get out as quickly as possible, being eaten sucks, and get to the nearest largifier which should return you to normal height.

Hope this helps.
Have I understood it right in that you haven't got Music A Level? Just Computing and History? Weird that the courses you've looked at specify grades in subjects related to Music, many courses don't state any preference about A Level subjects...

I don't know whether this works with national diplomas but there is definitely some kinda qualification where you do the first two years of the diploma at a college and then transfer to somewhere else and do the last year of that place's degree course? I think I'm thinking of HNDs maybe... Anyway, that could be worth looking into, as you'd get a degree in the end.

I'd def recommend progressing with your Rock School exams. Maybe do the Grade 5 since you know the pieces and then go quickly through the next grades onto Grade 8? I don't know much about the Rock School syllabus, so dunno how easy it is to skip out the higher grades :smile:
Reply 4
You could be like Brian May and do a degree in Physics and play guitar in a band instead of doing a music degree. He made his own guitar from a fireplace.
Reply 5
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have I understood it right in that you haven't got Music A Level? Just Computing and History? Weird that the courses you've looked at specify grades in subjects related to Music, many courses don't state any preference about A Level subjects...

I don't know whether this works with national diplomas but there is definitely some kinda qualification where you do the first two years of the diploma at a college and then transfer to somewhere else and do the last year of that place's degree course? I think I'm thinking of HNDs maybe... Anyway, that could be worth looking into, as you'd get a degree in the end.

I'd def recommend progressing with your Rock School exams. Maybe do the Grade 5 since you know the pieces and then go quickly through the next grades onto Grade 8? I don't know much about the Rock School syllabus, so dunno how easy it is to skip out the higher grades :smile:

Yea it's one of those 2 year course's in college. Well the university's I been looking at ask for a music related subject qualification. I guess one of my best bets is just to go down to an open day and talk to the tutor what he thinks.

Thanks for your advice Ill defiantly look at doing my Grade 5 soon ill send the application form off this week. Interesting about that HND programme ill look into that.

Thanks for your advice.

Latest