The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes, because people are perfect and never mess up exams. That's fair.
Your coming from the view that only if the person achieves an A at A level that they will be able to cope with the degree course.
Theres alot i know that got an A in A-level and couldnt cope with the degree or uni life.
My View is that its not all about top grades, if you are passionaite about doing something and put in maximum effort why shouldnt C-B grade candidates have a shot?

Im a Year 13 student now going for medicine, extremely competitive and only got 5 B's at AS? That make me too stupid for medicine, the catch is i got 78 - 79 % in most of them so not far out rli? and yet youd stereotype people like that.

So I disagree to your statement :smile:
You make me lol!
I'm glad it's just an opinion.
Reply 24
mart2306

Don't confuse what people have done with what they can do.

This.

Especially when you haven't even done a degree yet for crying out loud:rolleyes:
Sarky
This.

Especially when you haven't even done a degree yet for crying out loud:rolleyes:

I second this.
Reply 26
so u want all unis who offer less than ABB to shut down?!
Reply 27
I got BCD at A Level, with the D being in the subject I'm doing at uni - yet I'm doing perfectly fine here, am into my final year of my course and on track for a good degree - I'm teetotal as well, so don't stereotype people. Just because someone doesn't get straight As, it doesn't mean they go out drinking and not working - likewise, if someone got straight As, it doesn't mean they are going to be angels and not drink and work hard.
How about:

"People who are too retarded to use the search function on TSR shouldn't go to uni"
Reply 29
:rolleyes:

I got a B for a level History, my chosen subject though my other four subjects were all A's. I've just graduated with a first.
Reply 30
Errr actually I know someone who got a D in their subject (Business) at A level, managed to persuade Sheffield to take them, and then ended up with a first. So no, OP, probably you are wrong!
Lolerpies.

I got CCD at A level yet I got a first class honours at degree level.

Oh, and in the closest related A level subject (Maths), I got a U at AS level. Seriously A level is not indicative of success/failure at degree level in any shape or form.
**** you. I have two older brothers, they have both ****** their A levels because they never took them seriously.

My eldest brother got CDE at AS then CDD overall at A level. He is now attaining a 2:1 at uni. The brother below him got DEU at AS this year, and he is not finding it hard getting into a Uni (he wants to study performing arts). They both averaged a C at GCSE, but got many Ds, a few Es and some Bs between them.

I personally will not do that, I will try and get As and A*s at GCSE and A level, but OP, your just talking pure utter ********. Go read a book or something.
Reply 33
nics88
Personally, i think that people who dont get an A in the subject they want to continue at university shouldnt go to university. Or they should get an A in the subject closest to their degree subject if they dont do it at a level.
Too many people go to university to drink all the time, dont spend any time doind their degree and waste a lot of money to do it! Then they all leave uni and complain that they cannot get jobs.
Anyway, rant finished, any thoughts?

A-level performance does not equal performance at degree level. I know people with Bs and Cs who've matched or outperformed students who achieved A at A-level.

I didn't achieve an A in my chosen subject. I only managed a B. Now, this was a different time as seven years ago even "top" universities like Durham and UCL had typical offers of ABB - BBB for a number of etheir courses. Although the vast majority of students still had AAA-AAAA at A-level, it certainly wasn't impossible (or unknown) for ABB students to share lectures and seminars. You really couldn't tell the difference.

I'm not the best example as I was certainly capable of an A (the strongest student in the class with many of my module marks 90%+) but drastically underperformed overall due to illness and other significant mitigating circumstances.

Which brings me onto another point. Some may not achieve a B at A-level because they didn't have the maturity at the time, they had poor teaching or the A-level format just didn't suit their style (its' still a bit like "jumping through hoops" in certain subjects and can be rather restrictive). University level study is a lot different and, furthermore, university students also tend to be more mature. There are some very intelligent and able students who underperformed at A-level for whatever reason.

I find your suggestion that those who don't achieve As at A-level just go there to drink and party down right offensive. I echo hobnob: -

hobnob
That isn't actually supposed to be a serious suggestion, is it?

You just never know these days :sigh:
Reply 34
I agree to some extent with what's being said.
But I think that what should actually happen is that anyone with below let's say 3Cs should have to cover ALL of their university costs themselves.
I know someone who got 2Ds and an E in their A-levels but still got a university place.
How is it fair that the taxpayer funds degrees for people like this? - or in other words, their 3 years of drinking
This would also encourage people to succeed with their A-levels: better for everyone. Then if people aren't truly realistic about getting the 3Cs, then they wouldn't bother with education after 16.
But I agree that the OP in saying that they should have to get an A in their most relevant subject; this is a little bit too harsh I think.
Wow. Bit harsh OP! :lolwut:
People can do brilliantly at A Level and then fail miserably at university. People who dont do so well at A level can excell at university.

OP also says if you cant do your degree at A Level then you should get an A in the 'closest subject'. I have no idea what my closest A Level subject to anthropology would be, but I only got an A in English.

Since you havent returned to argue your case, Im guessing you dont really believe in what you say and just enjoy watching people tear their hair out over your stupidity.

Still, fun to read :smile:
Reply 37
nics88
Personally, i think that people who dont get an A in the subject they want to continue at university shouldnt go to university. Or they should get an A in the subject closest to their degree subject if they dont do it at a level.
Too many people go to university to drink all the time, dont spend any time doind their degree and waste a lot of money to do it! Then they all leave uni and complain that they cannot get jobs.

I actually agree. There are way too many people at uni with E's at A-level there to doss!... Only hardworking people should be allowed in!
nics88

Troll much?

I got a C at A Level, and carried the subject onto a good uni.

I graduated with a 2.1 in that subject

I now have a sweet-a$$ graduate job in that subject.

'Nuff said.
Reply 39
Coco87
I actually agree. There are way too many people at uni with E's at A-level there to doss!... Only hardworking people should be allowed in!

There's a difference between people who don't get As (B, C even D students) and those who only marginally pass a subject,

Hardworking? There are many people who are hardworking but still manage what some will see as modest grades.

I know many students with As who just go to university to doss. I'll try and put you in touch with an ex-classmate of mine, from a very wealthy family and achieved four As at A-level. He failed that module in the previous two years and was joking around, getting people to place bets on whether or not he failed it a third time. It was all a joke to him (how he managed to keep resitting it, especially as an attending student, I don't know).

I can be absurd too.

Best Served Chilled

I now have a sweet-a$$ graduate job in that subject

Ass isn't in the swear filter. Why woud it? It's the name of an animal. If you mean arse, then that isn't filtered either (as you can see) it's fairly mild after all. If it was filtered then you'd receive a warning for avoiding the filter. Unless the dollar signs are supposed to be a pun.

Latest

Trending

Trending