The Student Room Group

People who dont get an A in their "main" subject at a level shouldnt go to uni

Personally, i think that people who dont get an A in the subject they want to continue at university shouldnt go to university. Or they should get an A in the subject closest to their degree subject if they dont do it at a level.
Too many people go to university to drink all the time, dont spend any time doind their degree and waste a lot of money to do it! Then they all leave uni and complain that they cannot get jobs.
Anyway, rant finished, any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That isn't actually supposed to be a serious suggestion, is it?
Reply 2
Well, what if you got a 'B' in the subject that you REALLY wanted to study and take at Uni. And because you got a B you'll never be able to do it. That's pretty harsh. There could be plenty of external reasons why a students ends up with a B instead of an A.

So, not a good idea really..
Reply 3
On what grounds? That ~80% at A level is needed to do an degree? People improve over time (normally), they might be "late developers" academically, or they could just not have been as clever as others, but I don't think that this should exclude them from a degree.
What about someone who is extremely talented at a subject, but for one reason or another messed up the exam and came out with a lower grade than expected?
Reply 5
You're not even at Uni yet, what's your problem?
Reply 6
My highest grade at A Level was a C, i'm in my third year of uni now heading for a 2:1 and am doing a Masters next year. I don't drink and I spend a lot of time doing my degree, you think I should be chucked out because YOU have a stereotype of what a low performing student at A level procedes to do at degree level?
Strung Up
You're not even at Uni yet, what's your problem?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...
Can I also just point out that even if you do get an A (or even several) at A-level, doesn't mean that you won't get trashed throughout your course or even get a good grade at the end.
Reply 9
Why don't you focus on completing your own degree you little ****? :smile:
Reply 10
How can you directly compare in that way?

All people who get below an A for ANY reason attend university only to drink their money away without working?
Reply 11
I hope English isn't your main subject.

Pile of bull.
Reply 12
nics88
Personally, i think that people who dont get an A in the subject they want to continue at university shouldnt go to university. Or they should get an A in the subject closest to their degree subject if they dont do it at a level.
Too many people go to university to drink all the time, dont spend any time doind their degree and waste a lot of money to do it! Then they all leave uni and complain that they cannot get jobs.

I was a few UMS off an A in chemistry, does that mean I shouldn't study chemistry ? Also I don't drink.
Reply 13
There could be any number of reasons why people don't get As in their 'main' A-Level subject, and just because they don't get an A doesn't mean they're not going to be able to do it at uni :confused:

I'm doing a subject at uni completely unrelated to anything I took for A Level - does that mean I shouldn't be entitled to do it because a) I didn't get an A in it b) I didn't get an A in a subject related to it? :rolleyes:
Reply 14
So because someone doesn't get an A, that means all they want to do is drink? This a dumb troll.
Reply 15
with that sort of opinion, I can see you doing really well at uni!! A-levels aren't the be all or end all, if our whole lives depended on them that would be pretty screwed up - if a-levels are the highest qualification you decide to take, then it is more important to get higher grades as this gives you a better chance when you're looking for a job. If, however, they are a stepping stone to your next qualification, the most important thing is they do the job, which is to get you in. One bad grade shouldn't (and doesn't) effect your whole life.
Reply 16
What about those of us who went to uni with a different focus to A levels? Realising you have a new talent which the uni can see that I never got the chance to use at school. The closest thing I did to Architecture was Product design and that course was not good!
Too many people go to university to drink all the time, don't spend any time doing their degree and waste a lot of money to do it! Then they all leave uni and complain that they cannot get jobs

Assumptions, assumptions. I don't think many uni students drink all the time, nor spend little time on their degrees. If that was the case, we wouldn't have many graduates, would we?

And what about those students who don't have A-Levels? Should they not be allowed to go?
Reply 18
nics88

I got UUE at A level. Didn't even take a GCSE in the subject closest to what I'm doing now.
However I have passed degree level courses since, and compared to my job writing assignments is a doddle so I expect to get a degree in 3 years.
Don't confuse what people have done with what they can do.
Reply 19
nics88

Yes because everyone who gets a B obviously spends all their time drinking and messing around and those who get A's are obviously angels and the only ones who will pass their degree.

I work hard, don't drink, don't mess around but got all B's.

You need to burst your bubble OP and move into the real world.

Latest

Trending

Trending