The Student Room Group

OK, opinions here. Feel free to rip into me :/

I've sort of realised that I took Sociology because its more of a "traditional" subject and Ive always thought thats what you should do and I came to Bristol UWE because I like Bristol, but UWE is half an hour away from Bristol.

I feel if I tell my mum this then shes gonna be all like "well you were like this at college and you ended up loving it".

I've found a course at Bournemouth University which is more to my career path (Events Management). However, it says I'll need 300 points for 2010 entry and I only have 240. Is this a huge gamble?
Best thing you can do in a situation like that is ring up Bournemouth and ask the admissions person for the course about whether it's worth you applying/transferring :smile:
Reply 2
sociology? traditional? well that's a separate issue have you contacted Bournemouth uni?
Reply 3
The_Goose
sociology? traditional? well that's a separate issue have you contacted Bournemouth uni?

Well, it's more traditional than something like Events Management.
If this is a course you really want to study, then go for it. I would second The_Lonely_Goatherd's advice, the worst they can say is no.
Reply 5
tigermoth99
If this is a course you really want to study, then go for it. I would second The_Lonely_Goatherd's advice, the worst they can say is no.

But if they say no then maybe it's not worth dropping out of university. Plus don't you get a bad reputation if you drop out? And isn't it going to be even harder to get into uni next year? :frown:
lady_leon
But if they say no then maybe it's not worth dropping out of university. Plus don't you get a bad reputation if you drop out? And isn't it going to be even harder to get into uni next year? :frown:

That's precisely why it's worth contacting them before you seriously think about dropping out or making an application.

Get in touch with Bournemouth and speak to someone there and ask whether they'd be willing to consider your application, even though you don't meet their requirements. Don't drop out of your current uni until/unless you find out that Bournemouth is more than likely to accept you. That way if Bournemouth says "sorry but you don't meet our requirements", you still have a place at UWE.

There would be little point in applying and doing all the paperwork that goes with it unless you had a fairly good chance of acceptance. That's why contacting them is important :smile:
Reply 7
The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's precisely why it's worth contacting them before you seriously think about dropping out or making an application.

Get in touch with Bournemouth and speak to someone there and ask whether they'd be willing to consider your application, even though you meet your requirements. Don't drop out of your current uni until/unless you find out that Bournemouth is more than likely to accept you. That way if Bournemouth says "sorry but you don't meet our requirements", you still have a place at UWE.

There would be little point in applying and doing all the paperwork that goes with it unless you had a fairly good chance of acceptance. That's why contacting them is important :smile:

I took your advice and gave them a call, and they said that Events Management is oversubscribed and that 300 points was the minimum. However, she then told me to take a look at another course in the same school (Leisure Marketing) which covers the same aspects as Events Management but only requires 260 points (I have 240 points). I'm thinking that if I do end up dropping out and taking a gap year, that I'll try my absolute hardest to get some experience over the year. Do you think this stands me in good stead or is it still too risky?
Thanks for listening btw :smile:
lady_leon
I took your advice and gave them a call, and they said that Events Management is oversubscribed and that 300 points was the minimum. However, she then told me to take a look at another course in the same school (Leisure Marketing) which covers the same aspects as Events Management but only requires 260 points (I have 240 points). I'm thinking that if I do end up dropping out and taking a gap year, that I'll try my absolute hardest to get some experience over the year. Do you think this stands me in good stead or is it still too risky?
Thanks for listening btw :smile:

No problem. I don't know enough about these courses to advise you about your chances but maybe you now need to ring someone from the Leisure Marketing programme, just to make sure that' s not also oversubscribed? :smile:
Reply 9
The_Lonely_Goatherd
No problem. I don't know enough about these courses to advise you about your chances but maybe you now need to ring someone from the Leisure Marketing programme, just to make sure that' s not also oversubscribed? :smile:

I called them again, and they said that although the Leisure Marketing course only requires 260, with my 240 points I'm unlikely to get a place. This really, really sucks. :frown:
Reply 10
Could you take a gap year and reapply, and in your gap year take another A-level or AS? That way you will exceed the 260 (and possibly even the 300) point requirement?
Reply 11
Is there a specific reason for choosing Bournemouth? I know that Plymouth does a BSc in Events Management that only requires 240 points, so might it be worth looking further afield if it's what you really want to do?
Reply 12
Tuppenny
Is there a specific reason for choosing Bournemouth? I know that Plymouth does a BSc in Events Management that only requires 240 points, so might it be worth looking further afield if it's what you really want to do?

Nothing too specific about Bournemouth really. I'm just worried about jeopardizing the place I already have at uni, as apparently it's gonna be much harder to get in next year.
Reply 13
lady_leon
Nothing too specific about Bournemouth really. I'm just worried about jeopardizing the place I already have at uni, as apparently it's gonna be much harder to get in next year.

I would do a bit more research, find out the uni's that are likely to accept you with the grades you have and then call them up and see what they say. You're under no obligation to tell your uni that you want to leave while you are contacting the other places to find out your options, and they should be understanding about the situation anyway. My little sister changed uni's and courses this year, and all she did was email the course tutor at the place she wanted to go and was offered a place. Then she told the two uni's she was transferring. Simples :smile:
Reply 14
Tuppenny
I would do a bit more research, find out the uni's that are likely to accept you with the grades you have and then call them up and see what they say. You're under no obligation to tell your uni that you want to leave while you are contacting the other places to find out your options, and they should be understanding about the situation anyway. My little sister changed uni's and courses this year, and all she did was email the course tutor at the place she wanted to go and was offered a place. Then she told the two uni's she was transferring. Simples :smile:

Can I really transfer this year, this early into university?
Reply 15
lady_leon
Can I really transfer this year, this early into university?

I don't know about this September tbh, you'll certainly be able to for next year but it's whether you want to have a year off. The best advice I can give you is ring round everyone, and do your damnedest to persuade them to let you onto the course. If you can, get hold of the actual tutors for the course rather than admissions, as the tutors tend to be a bit more flexible (in my experience).
Good luck though, I really hope you end up doing something you want to, and don't take any nonsense from anyone else if you're certain it's what you want to do, it's your decision to make, not theirs. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending