The Student Room Group

A Level Resits

Ok so I've gone to a few centers for private candidates and to be completely honest they seem like rip offs as they charge too too much and have bad reviews. My school and other schools around me are not happy to accept people to resit their A Levels. Can anyone please advise me on what I should do? I'm getting quite worried now
Reply 1
Original post by pigeonwarrior
Ok so I've gone to a few centers for private candidates and to be completely honest they seem like rip offs as they charge too too much and have bad reviews. My school and other schools around me are not happy to accept people to resit their A Levels. Can anyone please advise me on what I should do? I'm getting quite worried now

Have you searched on the exam board websites?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Have you searched on the exam board websites?

why should this person search on the exam board websites?
Reply 3

Helloo I've checked out a few centres for private candidates and I've visited them too... they are too expensive and have horrific reviews, so I'm not in favour of that
Helloo I've checked out a few centres for private candidates and I've visited them too... they are too expensive and have horrific reviews, so I'm not in favour of that

hence why i am currently panicking
Reply 6

Why won't your old school help you? They could ask you to pay for the exams plus admin fee
Why won't your old school help you? They could ask you to pay for the exams plus admin fee

Its a grammar school so they are not obliged to help me apparently
Reply 8
Its a grammar school so they are not obliged to help me apparently

I teach in a selective state school - we still take resit candidates - they don't go on the schools results. We don't teach them just give them a place to take the exam
I teach in a selective state school - we still take resit candidates - they don't go on the schools results. We don't teach them just give them a place to take the exam

I really don't know where to go to get predicted grades and also be able to sit exams... and since I really really want to give Imperial a shot next year I'm quite lost as first and foremost I definitely need an exam centre
I really don't know where to go to get predicted grades and also be able to sit exams... and since I really really want to give Imperial a shot next year I'm quite lost as first and foremost I definitely need an exam centre

Why won't your school give you predictions? Imperial? It's so toxic ,,, I really don't recommend going there.
Why won't your school give you predictions? Imperial? It's so toxic ,,, I really don't recommend going there.

Ah, so I've heard! But I still would like to give it a go nonetheless. As my school doesn't want to enroll me again they can't let me sit exams and get predicted grades
Ah, so I've heard! But I still would like to give it a go nonetheless. As my school doesn't want to enroll me again they can't let me sit exams and get predicted grades

They do not need to enrol you - that would mean your results would go on their records. They just accept you as a private candidate - I think someone at school may not realise this! Your results will NOT go in their data and of course they can give predictions and write a UCAS reference without you being enrolled.
They do not need to enrol you - that would mean your results would go on their records. They just accept you as a private candidate - I think someone at school may not realise this! Your results will NOT go in their data and of course they can give predictions and write a UCAS reference without you being enrolled.

Ok thank you so much for this! I will take this up with them!
Ok so here's a bit of an update- I have literally emailed all the sixth forms in my area and also spoken to many on the phone. they all including my own are not willing to take me either as a student or as a private candidate. the only thing my school has said is that they can register me for the exams next year but will not give me any predicted grades. I asked how is this possible and they want me to put my a level result from this year on my application. i asked if i could sit the assessments they were giving the current year 13s in a few days and i will even pay to sit those on top of paying the exam fee next year! they said no and were super rude to me that i would be increasing the teachers workload! i am so broken and don't know what the way out is. at this point i have officially panicked like crazy.
Please if anyone could give me advice on what my next steps could be, right now I am feeling a bit lost and demoralised.

Quick Reply

Latest