The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
theepw
Thanks very much for your help. It's quite ironic about Warwick, I thought I would stand most chance of getting to interview as they only do graduate entry, do they impose a UKCAT cut off score then?

I'm just wondering from your experience, if I was to phone up unis to ask about their admissions criteria, are they quite open about it? I.e. Would they honestly tell you if you would stand a chance of getting to interview?

For 2009 entry the Warwick cutoff was 670 and for 2010 entry it was 680 so I wouldn't be expecting the cutoff to drop for 2011 entry.

Rather than phoning I would email the admissions contact named on the medical school website with a CV that includes all grades and experience - the only place that I've heard of not being helpful is Leeds. Everywhere else does seem to read what you send and give you specific advice.
Reply 981
JCM89
For 2009 entry the Warwick cutoff was 670 and for 2010 entry it was 680 so I wouldn't be expecting the cutoff to drop for 2011 entry.

Rather than phoning I would email the admissions contact named on the medical school website with a CV that includes all grades and experience - the only place that I've heard of not being helpful is Leeds. Everywhere else does seem to read what you send and give you specific advice.

I really appreciate your advice, thank you for your time and help.
Hi :biggrin:

I have no idea where to apply for my 4th uni :eek3:
my others are cambridge, newcastle and sheffield
I dont want to go to london or scotland
UKCAT: 750
GCSEs: 7A* 4A
AS: 4A
A2: Predicted 3A* (though very very unlikely)

please help! i need a fairly easy option as a back up to my others
hali0112
you should maybe have the fourth as a uni which is your safe choice, one that you think you will get into easily. well done on the UKCAT! thats a very impressive score. i have mine in a couple of weeks. do you have any tips?

do quantitative as fast as you can, thats what let me down, also onexamination is really good at getting you used to abstract, it makes the real thing feel easy
good luck! :smile:
i've just noticed that i posted on this thread about a month ago, oh well..
FYoung
Hi :biggrin:

I have no idea where to apply for my 4th uni :eek3:
my others are cambridge, newcastle and sheffield
I dont want to go to london or scotland
UKCAT: 750
GCSEs: 7A* 4A
AS: 4A
A2: Predicted 3A* (though very very unlikely)

please help! i need a fairly easy option as a back up to my others

No medical school is easy as such but just choose somewhere you'd enjoy living and where you might like the course structure!!

Otherwise, you'll just get people suggesting their own universities or going through a list of medical colleges!
Where should I apply?

GCSE: 3A*,4A,1B
AS: 4 A [bio,phy,chem,math]
UKCAT: 675

My W/E is alright I think. The only one that i am deffo applying for is Imperial.

I want to make the right choice and apply to ones that I am almost guaranteed an interview. And I suppose from that point onwards I am on my own :smile:.
Reply 987
abhijitnair
i got 4A*'s 8A's at gcse
as level
maths- 289/300(A)
Physics- 282/300(A)
Biology-286/300(A)
Chemistry- 276/300(A)
UKCAT- 660 avg.
i know i cant apply sheffield(or can i?), is my score good enough for newcastle, manchester and Barts??
is Cambridge a long shot?
i know one uni i am defiinitely applying to- UCL
please help
thanks!

Cambridge is definitely a long shot for you. Your GCSE grades are nowhere near the standard expected. Think of all the 11 A* students who are also applying. All applicants have this regardless of what school they attend. Your UKCAT score is average-belowaverage so this does not look like you will have a good enough BMAT score, of which Cambridge want the highest mark. Also your UMS points are low, for chem you need at least 290/300!
Reply 988
I want to hand in my ucas form to my teacher this week but am really stuck on where to apply:

I got 4A*'s, 6A's and 1B at GCSE

My predicted point for IB are:
Biology HL: 7
Chemistry HL: 6
Psychology HL: 6/7
English SL: 5/6
French SL:6
Maths Studies: 6
Inner hexagon: 1 (everyone gets predicted that :s-smilie:)
So it totals around 38

UKCAT scores weren't great:
Verbal reasoning: 640
Abstract reasoning: 500
Quantitative reasoning: 670
Decision analysis: 690
Total: 2500
Average: 625

I was thinking Nottingham, SGUL, Leicester and Hull York

But I thought maybe i should replace Nottingham with Bristol and Hull York with either Liverpool or penisula.

What are my chances of getting into these places, or there other places that I would have a better chance of getting in? Can someone please help me :smile:

Also, what is a good 5th choice, i was thinking biomedical at Newcastle?
I want to apply for Medicine. Here is what I have:

GCSE : A*A*A*AAAAAAB - my grades aren't great BUT I have a reference because I wasn't here for part of year 10

AS : AAAAA (Maths, Bio, Chem, French, Critical Thinking)
AS Predicted : A*A*AA

UKCAT : 633 (I got 720 in AR but a low score in the Maths section which brought the average down )

I want to apply to some of these :
Manchester, Nottingham, Cardiff, Imperial (???????), Queen Mary's, King's College.

Am I being realistic? Please advice :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 990
Stef49
Cambridge is definitely a long shot for you. Your GCSE grades are nowhere near the standard expected. Think of all the 11 A* students who are also applying. All applicants have this regardless of what school they attend. Your UKCAT score is average-belowaverage so this does not look like you will have a good enough BMAT score, of which Cambridge want the highest mark. Also your UMS points are low, for chem you need at least 290/300!

I've done a lot of research about applying to medicine and some of your points are utter crap.

The average % for people being accepted into Oxford for medicine is 70% A*s. Cambridge has much less emphasis on GCSEs than Oxford anyway, some people say Cambridge rarely uses GCSEs as a deciding factor anyway. And what you said about chemistry is complete rubbish. No way only people who get over 290/300 on their AS chemistry get into Cambridge, it's ridiculous.

Example of people getting into Cambridge with pretty much the same GCSEs + UKCAT. Even the BMAT wasn't "Woah that's high" but it he must've done something right at the interviews.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25591778&postcount=243

He got into Gonville and Caius which is debately "the" best college for medicine at Cambridge.

Here's someone else who didn't do as well in their GCSEs and got a place at Emmanuel :L. Although it is true he aced the BMAT :smile:.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25483144&postcount=242

So stop talking rubbish and crushing someone's dreams.

abhijitnair
i got 4A*'s 8A's at gcse
as level
maths- 289/300(A)
Physics- 282/300(A)
Biology-286/300(A)
Chemistry- 276/300(A)
UKCAT- 660 avg.
i know i cant apply sheffield(or can i?), is my score good enough for newcastle, manchester and Barts??
is Cambridge a long shot?
i know one uni i am defiinitely applying to- UCL
please help
thanks!

They're fine, you stand a good chance with those %s in your AS. Just make sure you ace the BMAT :smile:. Good luck
Btw, Imperial have a lower BMAT cut-off point than UCL :P (Just saying).
Reply 991
Iepnauy
I've done a lot of research about applying to medicine and some of your points are utter crap.

The average % for people being accepted into Oxford for medicine is 70% A*s. Cambridge has much less emphasis on GCSEs than Oxford anyway, some people say Cambridge rarely uses GCSEs as a deciding factor anyway. And what you said about chemistry is complete rubbish. No way only people who get over 290/300 on their AS chemistry get into Cambridge, it's ridiculous.

Example of people getting into Cambridge with pretty much the same GCSEs + UKCAT. Even the BMAT wasn't "Woah that's high" but it he must've done something right at the interviews.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25591778&postcount=243

He got into Gonville and Caius which is debately "the" best college for medicine at Cambridge.

Here's someone else who didn't do as well in their GCSEs and got a place at Emmanuel :L. Although it is true he aced the BMAT :smile:.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25483144&postcount=242

So stop talking rubbish and crushing someone's dreams.

Listen to this guy :yep:
Lol Those Grades I ******* Amazing Dude You Have A Chance Any Were Lol You Will Get Into A Great Uni. Good Luck Buddy
Reply 993
God Help Me

GCSE : A*A*A*AAAAAAB - my grades aren't great BUT I have a reference because I wasn't here for part of year 10

UKCAT : 633 (I got 720 in AR but a low score in the Maths section which brought the average down )

Manchester, Nottingham, Cardiff, Imperial (???????), Queen Mary's, King's College.

not being a medic i can't comment on UKCAT but other than that your grades seem exceptional. I think you've got a very good chance in all of them except maybe Imperial.
Reply 994
Ur GCSE grades are quite good as it shows u have a good broad knowledge of a variety of subjects...wt did u get in ur sciences, maths and english subjects at GCSE? cuz tht will be looked at if ur applying for medicine.

ur AS grades are good, and i presume the predicted grades written below are for A2 nt for AS? if u get those grades u got a chance but top unis will need more than grades.....work experiance involving medicine with a good ref at least...additional experiance is needed nowadays due to stiff competition and lastly your personality! If your strong in these areas, then u have a chance! :smile:
Rahul.S
Ur GCSE grades are quite good as it shows u have a good broad knowledge of a variety of subjects...wt did u get in ur sciences, maths and english subjects at GCSE? cuz tht will be looked at if ur applying for medicine.

ur AS grades are good, and i presume the predicted grades written below are for A2 nt for AS? if u get those grades u got a chance but top unis will need more than grades.....work experiance involving medicine with a good ref at least...additional experiance is needed nowadays due to stiff competition and lastly your personality! If your strong in these areas, then u have a chance! :smile:

u saved my life.. thanks <3
As Rahul.S said your grades mean you can apply anywhere.

Your work experiance, personal statment and interview decide if you will get in or not.
God Help Me

don't think the people who have replied so far actually know much about medicine/ have applied for it.

As far as medicine goes the GCSE grades are not great tbh. They're excellent for most courses at most universities but not for medicine.

Your AS grades are good but nothing special, and absolutely NOT exceptional as someone here said they were, for Imperial they're pretty bad. You could have really made yourself stand out and shown clear progress from GCSEs at AS level by taking 5/6 really academic subjects which you didn't do. Nevertheless while this won't hinder you it certainly won't give you any advantages.

Anyway you stand a chance just like a lot of people do. It isn't a particularly good chance or a particularly bad chance it's just a chance.

Basically you have mediocre AS grades, average predicted grades and below average GCSEs for medicine at most (possibly all) of these universities. People get in with significantly worse grades, but a lot of people with your grades (and much better) get rejected.

Put somewhere decent for biomed/ biology as your fifth choice and be prepared to go there.
Reply 998
How is that aiming too high? You have almost the best grades you can get :lolwut: What do you think somebody needs in order to apply to Oxford etc?
oh my god.

Latest

Trending

Trending