The Student Room Group
Reply 1
What even is "ethical language"? If it refers to speaking in an ethical manner (whatever that means), then I suppose that it boils down to "ethics are subjective", which I'd imagine is the core of the debate.
Reply 2
He's talking about ethical propositions, as in metaethics.

OP, research ethical subjectivism within the metaethical strand. I'll write a full review for you tonight.
Reply 3
Let us be clear, to make the claim that 'ethical propositions are subjective' is to make two separate, subordinate claims: (i) that ethical statements are in someway meaningful (cognitivism), and (ii) the verity of an ethical proposition depends on its context; for example, the time, the place, and the person uttering the statement.

1. Start with sentence-long definitions of 'ethical propositions', and 'subjectivity'. Explain with examples.

2. Defend either a cognitivist or non-cognitivist position. Note, if you are defending a non-cognitivist position you have already dismissed of ethical subjectivism, make that clear.

3. If you previously defended cognitivism, now defend either moral realism (moral objectivity) or moral subjectivity.

4. Sum up.

Edit: I am friendly and will answer any further questions to the best of my ability, whatever they may be.

Latest

Trending

Trending