The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guilty.
I have never heard or heard of anyone calling any of those people geniuses. Intelligent yes, geniuses...no.
Reply 3
Sgrafitti
1) Stephen Fry
2) David Mitchell
3) J K Rowling
4) Stephenie Meyer

Anyone else :teeth:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567544/Top-100-living-geniuses.html

depends what you mean by genius.
Reply 4
David mitchell is really clever though in his comedy and his writing. Stephen fry i would have to say is overrated from what i've seen, and of the other 2 i've only heard of jk rowling, and i since i only know her for writing childrens books i can't see how it came about that she's a genius.
Stephen Fry isn't considered to be a genius, he's simply a highly intelligent man.

Genius denotes some sort of speciality whereas Stephen is pretty much an all-round clever chap.
Reply 6
I believe Stephen and JKR are. But it depends on your definition.

Stephen has an incredable eloquence, and JKR has created an imaginary world that's captivated millions... both of these are talents worthy of being decribed with the G word.

However, I doubt they'll be remembred by future generations. - Maybe this is what OP is getting at.
Reply 7
That really depends on how you define genius
how is stephen fry not a genius?
he's definately one in the comic sense.

and academically he managed to get a scholarship to queens college cambridge, which is damn hard. and has received two honorary doctorates. is an honorary fellow at queens, so yeh i'd say he's pretty genius, and it seems lots of people agree with me.

granted he's not at an einstein or newton level. but still!
Reply 9
AisAis

I've never seen the bunny emoticon before (in your sig). It managed to hypnotise me :o:
Reply 10
Kanye West?
Reply 11
Varciani
Kanye West?

:biggrin: definitely!
Reply 12
AisAis

Stephen has an incredable eloquence, and JKR has created an imaginary world that's captivated millions... both of these are talents worthy of being decribed with the G word.

However, I doubt they'll be remembred by future generations. - Maybe this is what OP is getting at.

They're popular entertainers for the simple-minded public. They're not actually brilliant writers/thinkers. It's like saying Britney Spears is a musical genius.
Russell Brand.

A lot of people (pre-pubescent schoolgirls, mostly) seem to think he's a genius because he has a slightly above average vocabulary.
Reply 14
AisAis

You doubt JK Rowling will be remembered by future generations? She's the best selling author of all time (more or less)...

Oh and Quentin Tarantino belongs on that list for sure.
Reply 15
didgeridoo12uk
how is stephen fry not a genius?
he's definitely one in the comic sense.

and academically he managed to get a scholarship to queens college cambridge, which is damn hard. and has received two honorary doctorates. is an honorary fellow at queens, so yeh i'd say he's pretty genius, and it seems lots of people agree with me.

granted he's not at an einstein or newton level. but still!

Theres the difference

Fry=Highly intelligenct

Einstein + Newton = Geniuses
Reply 16

Stephen Hawking behind Matt Groening? Damien Hirst even being in that god damn list?
Dammit, society!
Reply 17
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see
Reply 18
Lucyyy
Stephen Hawking behind Matt Groening? Damien Hirst even being in that god damn list?
Dammit, society!

Most people don't even know what Stephen Hawking's achievements are (do you?) so it's understandable to be honest...
AisAis

I'd say that David Mitchell is as intelligent as Stephen Fry. Fry knows how to flaunt what he has better, but Mitchell is probably wittier.

I've never heard of JK Rowling being called a genius. If anything, she's berated for her sometimes sloppy writing style, but she's certainly got talent. I wouldn't call anyone from that list a genius though, but very intelligent/sophisticated.

Latest

Trending

Trending