The Student Room Group
A foundation degree (if you pass the course) gives you entrance to a regular degree.
Reply 2
A foundation degree is two years of a regular degree AND supposed to be more geared towards the workplace.

I have an FdA in Graphic Design. After completing it you can get your third year top-up and get a BA Hons (but I hated it so didn't bother). We did a lot of 'live' briefs.

Depends on what he wants to do with his life.
Reply 3
EmersonDrain
A foundation degree (if you pass the course) gives you entrance to a regular degree.

So it's basically like doing A levels again?
Well I'm doing a 1 year foundation course in Clinical Sciences at Bradford, and providing I get 70% I have the opportunity to transfer to Leeds medical school, and if I don't make the transfer, I can continue onto the 3-year Clinical Sciences course. It's a pretty good deal really. They're far from useless.
Reply 5
Nambi
A foundation degree is two years of a regular degree AND supposed to be more geared towards the workplace.

I have an FdA in Graphic Design. After completing it you can get your third year top-up and get a BA Hons (but I hated it so didn't bother). We did a lot of 'live' briefs.

Depends on what he wants to do with his life.

Well he wants to go into Business Management, that's all I know.
lady_leon
So it's basically like doing A levels again?

Sort of but not really. It's a foundation course that helps students prepare for degree level study. A-levels are actually pretty irrelevant for many degrees and the foundation courses are better preparation, as the material is closer to the subject content of the degree that you would enter after the foundation year.
Nambi
A foundation degree is two years of a regular degree

Sometimes its two years, many foundation courses are just one year and then the students start year 1 of the regular degree programme.
Reply 8
EmersonDrain
Sort of but not really. It's a foundation course that helps students prepare for degree level study. A-levels are actually pretty irrelevant for many degrees and the foundation courses are better preparation, as the material is closer to the subject content of the degree that you would enter after the foundation year.

So you couldn't just do a foundation degree and graduate from that - you'd have to move onto a BA or a BSc in order to get a degree?
Reply 9
some degrees offer a built in foundation thats what im currently starting know, maybe he can look it to that its like year 0 and once you complete that you move on to year 1 but thats if you pass it!
lady_leon
So you couldn't just do a foundation degree and graduate from that - you'd have to move onto a BA or a BSc in order to get a degree?

Yes - a foundation degree is not really a degree in its own right. You need to complete it and then move on to a degree - it's just an alternative entry route for people who didn't take the correct A-level subjects or got lower grades than are required for entry to the normal degree programme.
Reply 11
EmersonDrain
Yes - a foundation degree is not really a degree in its own right. You need to complete it and then move on to a degree - it's just an alternative entry route for people who didn't take the correct A-level subjects or got lower grades than are required for entry to the normal degree programme.

So if you just stopped after a foundation degree, employers wouldn't look at you in any specific light?
I don't think he wants to take 5 years of education, that's why.
Reply 12
Everyone here is getting mixed up between foundation degrees and foundation courses.

A foundation degree is 2 years, a foundation course is 1.
Reply 13
EmersonDrain
Sometimes its two years, many foundation courses are just one year and then the students start year 1 of the regular degree programme.

A foundation degree is always 2 years and equivalent to having completed two years of a 'normal' degree

A foundation course is A Level equivalent

Very very different levels of education
Reply 14
Nambi
A foundation degree is always 2 years and equivalent to having completed two years of a 'normal' degree

So after doing two years of a foundation degree, you do one last year to get a BA or a BSc?
Reply 15
lady_leon
So after doing two years of a foundation degree, you do one last year to get a BA or a BSc?

Some unis make you do 2 years to top it up it a degree, but one year top-ups are available
Reply 16
lady_leon
My friend got CC at A level and he's been looking at courses and has found that he can only really study a foundation degree with his UCAS points, however he's not too happy about it and thinks it's worthless and pointless even studying for a foundation degree.
What is the difference between a foundation degree and a regular degree?

A foundation degree provides the basis to go on to degree course.

My wife has an english O level. She did a foundation degree for 1 year then went on to do a BSc Animal Management degree.
Reply 17
Nambi

Except where they are 1 year and don't count towards your 'normal' degree.
My wife's foundation degree covered equivilant of GCSE maths, physics, biology, chemistry, english and IT. Then same again for A level standard except physics.
Now doing a 3 year BSc degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending