The Student Room Group

Going to uni at home but living in Halls?

My local Uni is quite a good Uni and I know it's a really good place for students to live, all the students that I know really love it, even the ones from home.

I live about 20 minutes away from the town where the Uni is, and I like the idea of going to this Uni but living in Halls and having student life as if I was away but still being close to see my family whenever I wanted!

On the other hand if I did this I'm afraid that I'd go home a lot, like on Sundays to see my family and then I wouldn't spend as much time with other students and have a proper student life.

Has anyone done this?
Reply 1
I know a few people who live in halls but still go home almost every weekend. In a way you do miss out on some aspects of student life, but if you're really attached to your home life, it can be an easier way to let go of it than just drastically moving hundreds of miles away.

At least you're looking at living in halls, you'll still get most of the experience, unlike those who choose to stay living at home altogether.
Reply 2
The only thing I would say, is check the Uni's accomodation pages, because sometimes they exclude certain postcode areas from applying, as they live too close to be able to get a place in Halls.
My friend did that and just went home every other weekend. He lived a 15 min bus ride away from his halls. Really, if your a family person but want to experience student life and have some independence, its the best of both worlds!
Reply 4
I know quite a lot of people who live locally and have got into halls so I dont think that would be a problem!
I really want to have a proper student life, so not actually live at home, but I know I would really miss being able to see my family because I'm really, really close to them all.
I know I would make friends and everything if I stayed here for Uni, but on the other hand I want a totally new experience so maybe going away would be better!
loads of people do that

its fine

Latest

Trending

Trending