The Student Room Group

Big dilemma, please help :(

I'm currently a student at UWE Bristol studying Sociology. I have since realised that I want to do something more specific and related to my chosen career of Events Management. I want to leave to get some work experience over the next year and then go to university in 2010 to do events/business/hospitality management.

I called up the Business School at my university and they told me that there is no spaces left on any of the business courses, so I can't transfer.

I don't particularly like my university and would prefer to take a gap year to get some work experience. I've called up Bournemouth University where I'm thinking of taking Hospitality Management and they said that I would probably get in with my UCAS points (240, which is the right amount for the course) and a decent reference from an employer.

I've also called up a few companies, such as the Angel Music Group Ltd and Festival Republic and there is currently no work experience vacancies. My parents seem to think that it will be hard for me to find work experience because there will be graduates looking for work experience.

Is it worth me gambling a place at UWE when I can currently find no work experience and the only way to get into Bournemouth University would be with a decent reference? (although I don't understand why as I have the required amount of points)

I'm really worried about this, as all the UCAS points seem to be going up everywhere and I only have 240 :frown: Sorry if it's getting boring!
Well you could always stay at the course until you find some work experience.
Reply 2
lady_leon
I'm currently a student at UWE Bristol

All I read. I feel sorry for you.
Reply 3
Broderss
All I read. I feel sorry for you.

Lol, how very helpful. :p:
Reply 4
I hope you'll become what you want to be. Can't help with your dilemma, though. You seem to have gone through the options and evaluated them quite well already.
Reply 5
LiterallyInsane
Well you could always stay at the course until you find some work experience.

Why did I not think of that?! After all this summing up and that didn't even cross my mind :p:
I did want to leave before they started charging me though..
Looool ..

So may I ask what are you up to now I mean I know its very hard to find a decent work experience.. Do you still go to university?
Reply 7
Get into Bornemouth or stay where u are at UWE, eventually people will drop out of their course for some reasons, people change courses all the time & u might find yourself a vacancy. 2.5 million people are scrambling 4 jobs this year, do you want to add to that number.:eek: But the final decision is yours.good luck:yep:
Reply 8
Clarkkent
Get into Bornemouth or stay where u are at UWE, eventually people will drop out of their course for some reasons, people change courses all the time & u might find yourself a vacancy. 2.5 million people are scrambling 4 jobs this year, do you want to add to that number.:eek: But the final decision is yours.good luck:yep:

I want to go to Bournemouth. Plus a friend of mine is a manager at Cafe Nero and I'm happy to work there, as it would probably help with the whole hospitality side of things and I've worked in coffee shops before and love it.
I asked if there was a waiting list for anyone who drops out of the Business School, and she was like "No, we're not taking anyone else on"
Sigh :frown:
Reply 9
lady_leon
I want to go to Bournemouth. Plus a friend of mine is a manager at Cafe Nero and I'm happy to work there, as it would probably help with the whole hospitality side of things and I've worked in coffee shops before and love it.
I asked if there was a waiting list for anyone who drops out of the Business School, and she was like "No, we're not taking anyone else on"
Sigh :frown:

I'd do this - leave, work in the coffee shop and go to Bournemouth next year. You have the points, so it's likely they'll accept you and you can continue to carry on looking for work experience whilst you're at Cafe Nero. You obviously aren't happy on the course you're currently on, so I'd go with what I felt was right..Which is obviously Bournemouth or else you wouldn't keep thinking about it :smile: Good luck.
Reply 10
Belle-x
I'd do this - leave, work in the coffee shop and go to Bournemouth next year. You have the points, so it's likely they'll accept you and you can continue to carry on looking for work experience whilst you're at Cafe Nero. You obviously aren't happy on the course you're currently on, so I'd go with what I felt was right..Which is obviously Bournemouth or else you wouldn't keep thinking about it :smile: Good luck.

Sorry to go on about it, you must think I'm a right pain in the ass! :rolleyes: Thank you for all your contributions :smile:
Reply 11
lady_leon
Sorry to go on about it, you must think I'm a right pain in the ass! :rolleyes: Thank you for all your contributions :smile:

Nah, not at all! I was in the same situation as you last year so I know how difficult it is. I just think you should go with your gut instinct rather than stay somewhere where you don't want to be :smile:
Reply 12
Belle-x
Nah, not at all! I was in the same situation as you last year so I know how difficult it is. I just think you should go with your gut instinct rather than stay somewhere where you don't want to be :smile:

What did you do in this situation, if you don't mind me asking? :rolleyes:
Reply 13
lady_leon
What did you do in this situation, if you don't mind me asking? :rolleyes:

I left :smile: I reapplied and I've gone somewhere different this year. Even though I didn't find a job in the year I took out, I don't regret it one bit because in the long run, I'm a lot happier.
Reply 14
Belle-x
I left :smile: I reapplied and I've gone somewhere different this year. Even though I didn't find a job in the year I took out, I don't regret it one bit because in the long run, I'm a lot happier.

That's very reassuring :smile: Thing is all my friends have gone to uni too pretty much. Argh still not sure. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending