The Student Room Group

Applying to spring weeks

Hello,

I just got into Durham Uni and seeing that spring week applications have opened at places like HSBC and GS I had a few questions.
Firstly, as I have not started uni yet I don't know whether or not I am on track to get a 2.1, so do I check the box for that anyways?
Also, should I wait until I start uni on 26th September to apply or will it be more advantageous to apply now?

Cheers.
Hey, I'm looking to apply for spring weeks too, although I believe at GS isn't open yet(at least for now). I can't send DMs yet, so shoot me a DM and we can talk there :smile:
Original post by anonymouschicken
Hey, I'm looking to apply for spring weeks too, although I believe at GS isn't open yet(at least for now). I can't send DMs yet, so shoot me a DM and we can talk there :smile:

GS has been open for a few months im pretty sure, i mentored someone who got it last year and they applied before uni started.
Tick of 2:1 or first, doesn't really matter.
Original post by JordanTRichie
GS has been open for a few months im pretty sure, i mentored someone who got it last year and they applied before uni started.

Cheers,
Also, do I think applying earlier is better?
Original post by thomas234542
Hello,

I just got into Durham Uni and seeing that spring week applications have opened at places like HSBC and GS I had a few questions.
Firstly, as I have not started uni yet I don't know whether or not I am on track to get a 2.1, so do I check the box for that anyways?
Also, should I wait until I start uni on 26th September to apply or will it be more advantageous to apply now?

Cheers.

I am confused. On the GS website it says "Applications will be opening shortly, please check back later." for the spring possibility programme
Original post by JordanTRichie

How? It says "applications are opening shortly, check back later" under the deadline section for the Spring Possibility Programme?
Original post by happypolarbear1
I am confused. On the GS website it says "Applications will be opening shortly, please check back later." for the spring possibility programme

GS Spring Week application usually opens at the end of August
Perfect thank you I will start preparing my cover letter
Original post by javierd
GS Spring Week application usually opens at the end of August

Are spring weeks at GS usually that competitive? Because a lot of people joining uni won’t be thinking about applying to internships yet as it’s for first years like us
Are spring weeks at GS usually that competitive? Because a lot of people joining uni won’t be thinking about applying to internships yet as it’s for first years like us

They are still very competitive because there are few places and lot of applicants

Less than 4% offer rate last year, for markets anyway.
Original post by javierd
They are still very competitive because there are few places and lot of applicants

I’m having a dilemma. As the spring week applications open soon and they say it’s best to apply early that means I’d apply before I properly get into finance societies etc in uni. Would not having much finance experience/extracurricular on your application hinder you? Because applying early means you send off applications before uni starts.

Anyone else please reply I’d greatly appreciate it.
I’m having a dilemma. As the spring week applications open soon and they say it’s best to apply early that means I’d apply before I properly get into finance societies etc in uni. Would not having much finance experience/extracurricular on your application hinder you? Because applying early means you send off applications before uni starts.

Anyone else please reply I’d greatly appreciate it.

No finance xp is expected at this stage. But you do need some form of volunteering/work ex. Being in a finance soc means next to nothing since anyone can join one, leadership positions matter.
Hey everyone, would recommend checking out this article on how to secure spring weeks: https://clover-guide-ef2.notion.site/Securing-Spring-Weeks-f2220831fa87451788b3484e98c67b06
Reply 14
I thought Spring weeks for people in their penultimate year? I'm surprised to hear 1st years are eligible too.
Original post by Makro
I thought Spring weeks for people in their penultimate year? I'm surprised to hear 1st years are eligible too.

that would be penultimate year internships, not spring weeks which is the earlier insight programme
Original post by Eagle222

Could year 3 final year students apply? Will companies favour first year or second year students over third year students. Did a summer internship at a boutique management consultancy abroad and would like to get some exposure in the U.K. with the big IB and Management Consultancy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending