The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kew
This quote concisely sums up what a complete lack of basic understanding creatonists have of the subject. You'd think they'd realise that a Boeing-747 is made of metal, not biological matter, and is therefore not subject to processes such as natural selection. It's a completely void comparison.

Your right it's not a fair comparison because biological matter is far more complex than a boeing 747. Life can only come from life. It's a fundamental law of biology. So to suggest that the first living cell was created from non-living matter is completely and utterley illogical
AnthonyH91
It's my opinion though. You don't see me criticising your opinions.

Why are you putting your opinion out in society if not to encourage criticism? Do you want us to blindly agree with everything you say?

Sounds a bit like religion to me. Oh wait.
Reply 42
OK then. That's, well, wrong, but hey ho.
Reply 43
Epic fail
Reply 44
Slumpy
-Always a bad sign when you can't tell the numbers that you've written.
-Theory, but one that has survived for a long time, that gives it a lot of credibility.
-No he didn't, they were all nonsense.
-He's mainly shown that he doesn't really understand evolution.

Peer reviewed theories are respected for a reason y'know.

It doesn't make it a fact. A lot of the theory can be rationalised to your view point but at this point you can't know for sure.
He mentioned morality. That was a good point. Have we always had morality? If not, why have we developed morality? The evolutionary perspective will simply say to survive.
Reply 45
Kew
Learn what a scientific theory is. In science the word 'theory' is a technical term and means something very different to in the vernacular. Maybe you should take your own advice?

He made some exceedingly ignorant points. None of them are scientifically credible or accurate in any way.

No-one's claimed that survival of the most fitted is the only part of the theory. Of course there's much more to it than that - but that doesn't mean that is isn't still a significant part of it. Oh, and no he hasn't pointed out any flaws.

I find it so frustrating when creationists argue against something without doing even basic research in what it is they're arguing against.

In what way have I showed close-mindedness?
Reply 46
jaaay89
PLEASE look up the meaning of theory before posting such a stupid comment. It is NOT a theory, it is just called that. The dictionary clearly states that theory has 2 meanings, and go figure which one evolution is.

Evolution is a fact, no way around it. The fact that people do not realise that is VERY worrying in the year 2009. I say this as a BSc Zoology student, so I know what I am on about.

Evolution is a theory.

krazybob
It doesn't make it a fact. A lot of the theory can be rationalised to your view point but at this point you can't know for sure.
He mentioned morality. That was a good point. Have we always had morality? If not, why have we developed morality? The evolutionary perspective will simply say to survive.

As much as I dislike the position. There's nothing wrong with it. Assuming there is no God. It's likely true that we just developed morality as an extention of empathy and the need to progress.
Reply 47
jaaay89
PLEASE look up the meaning of theory before posting such a stupid comment. It is NOT a theory, it is just called that. The dictionary clearly states that theory has 2 meanings, and go figure which one evolution is.

Evolution is a fact, no way around it. The fact that people do not realise that is VERY worrying in the year 2009. I say this as a BSc Zoology student, so I know what I am on about.

It's a fact that evolution occurs. BUT the main bit of how life came to be is a theory.
Reply 48
krazybob

I didn't say it was a fact, I said it was a theory, but one well evidenced, and quite survivable. These things give it a lot of credence.
There is a fair amount of biology devoted to why we evolved to have community values like we do, if you fancy researching it, but there's certainly ways to rationalise it from evolution.
Reply 49
The-Serial-Kisser
Your right it's not a fair comparison because biological matter is far more complex than a boeing 747. Life can only come from life. It's a fundamental law of biology. So to suggest that the first living cell was created from non-living matter is completely and utterley illogical

Abiogenesis has in fact been studied in depth by scientists, and it has been shown how it's possible for the first living cells to have come into existence. Try reading this article http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/originoflife.html, which explores how cells could have evolved from simpler forms.
Reply 50
krazybob
It's a fact that evolution occurs. BUT the main bit of how life came to be is a theory.

The "theory" of evolution does and will never explain how life came to be. It does not aim to and never will. Life pre dates evolution so the origin of life has nothing to do with evolution.
Reply 51
Slumpy
I didn't say it was a fact, I said it was a theory, but one well evidenced, and quite survivable. These things give it a lot of credence.
There is a fair amount of biology devoted to why we evolved to have community values like we do, if you fancy researching it, but there's certainly ways to rationalise it from evolution.

Since it is a theory it is still open to criticism scientifically so I don't see why people automatically ignored all the OPs points and went straight to 'omg he made 7 points'
Reply 52
Ugh! EVOLUTION IS NOT A THEORY! CHECK THE DICTIONARY! Theory has TWO meanings, yes TWO!!!
Reply 53
krazybob
Since it is a theory it is still open to criticism scientifically so I don't see why people automatically ignored all the OPs points and went straight to 'omg he made 7 points'

It's because many of his other points were just bad. Pointing out the 7 points was just amusement.
Reply 54
jaaay89
Ugh! EVOLUTION IS NOT A THEORY! CHECK THE DICTIONARY! Theory has TWO meanings, yes TWO!!!

You exist isn't a fact. :smile:
Therefore evolution is a theory. :biggrin:
Reply 55
jaaay89

Um, stop embarrassing yourself, or at least make yourself a bit clearer.

EDIT: Read this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory
Reply 56
jaaay89
The "theory" of evolution does and will never explain how life came to be. It does not aim to and never will. Life pre dates evolution so the origin of life has nothing to do with evolution.

It tries to explain it with abiogenesis but as someone has mentioned a non-living thing creating a living thing is illogical.
Reply 57
You clearly have no idea at all what you are talking about. As someone currently covering it at university I can vow for the fact that it is a near perfect and beautiful theory, and just as blatantly correct as the general theory of relativity.

I'm an an atheist, but even I can see that religion and evolution don't have to be mutually exclusive, so just get over it. Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of flippin' Canterbury believes in evolution.

If they don't seem compatible to you then just interpret your religion differently, because science cannot be interpreted how you like, it just is.
AnthonyH91
You are all so closed minded.

I think you're confusing evolution as something that has a purpose. I't doesn't, or at least one we can't comprehend. As far as we can tell, its a random process. Of course, there's nothing to stop you from believing that God devised the evolutionary process by a method we dont understand or for a reason we can'twork out. However, I ithink its pretty clear the process itself does exist.

Anyway, here goes.

1. As far as we can tell, its a random process. Do you know why God created Man?

2. Earth has just the right conditions to make life as we know it to be. It's far enough from the sun and has a stable enough atmosphere to not have wild extremes of temprature, has a abundance of water, a strong magnetic field to prevent the solar wind and other dangerous phenomena from killing us... etc etc. Theres a lot of reason a lod of Physicists, Chemists and Biologiss could give you.

3. Homo Erectus was a lot hairier than we are today. Also im pretty sure they kept themselves in temparate conditions at worst. Your point about the cats is strange at best. If an organism couldn't keep itself warm, it would have died out. Thats how natural selection works. Those 'complete dolts' wouldn't have survived. The point about science does ring a bit true, though. In the end, they are just hypothesis, just like religious texts. Unlike religious texts, we know they have been peer reviewed. And when the hypothesis start making thinks work, it does sort of mean that they ring true. Electricity was widely regarded as a myth until it starting turing lightbulbs on.

4. Evolution is a process; it has no plan. You're hung up on everything having a nice neat plan. I'm sure if there is one, its beyond our comprehension - maybe only God can understand it. Think of it like an algorithm. It has no plan, its just a process. It can go down an incorect path, it can go down the correct path. The ones that go wrong are simply discarded. IF an organism is lucky enough to hav a beneficial mutation, it will prosper. If it mutates for the worse, well... it won't.

5. The purpose of having two sexes and sexual reproduction is to eliminate getting the bad mutations, and to promote the good ones. It itself was a beneficial mutation that gave the organism that had it a huge advantage. Don't forget that plants also reproduce sexually.

6. I can't say I know too much about this. I'll have a stab at as far as we know, we (and mabye dolphins?) are the only species that are concious of ourseves, because we have evolced to have a large and complex enough brain to be able to do so. Anyway, so much of our behaviour is very animal like and base. Someone else may know better.

7. How do you know that this is not God's work. We can prove the Earth is not as young as the Bible says. We can prove the theory of evolution, the laws of physics. We can't prove what stated the Big Bang. We can't prove how the laws of physics were pre ordained in the way that they have been. Maybe, this is all that we are meant to know. Have you not considered, that instead just creating the earth and the sky, that He is great enough to be able to create the universe and all its laws, and process, that we can never hope to fully understand, all in one tiny moment. Why would God take all of six days just to create the Earth?
Reply 59
Only the first point is correct. And thus as we can't prove it scientifically its obvious that a magic man must have done it.

Very obvious troll.

Latest

Trending

Trending