The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Support at Southampton uni?

Does anyone know about the support available at Southampton? Mainly mental health related, specifically social anxiety / autism. What kind of things do they do to support you? I can’t find it on the website
I was at Southampton three years ago, although my experience was during the covid years, which did impact significantly.

Posting anonymously because my story was quite identifiable. During my time there I became very ill and became unconscious. Family couldn't get in contact with me which was highly unusual, and knew I had been unwell so were obviously worried. The uni refused to even confirm I was a student there (which is legally correct under GDPR) and refused to come to find me for about 6 hours. Had I been left much longer the doctors at the hospital say it could have been fatal and that I am pretty lucky to still be here.

After a complaint, Southampton did not apologise, claimed they have done nothing wrong and that they followed their policies throughout (which they did, which indicates they aren't very good policies if they allow someone to be left on their own in a diabetic coma for 24 hours).

Academic staff were fantastic, and put significantly more in place than the support services (oh sorry, "student life" team) managed.

Would not recommend if you have medical conditions requiring Southampton to actually have a duty of care toward you.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
I was at Southampton three years ago, although my experience was during the covid years, which did impact significantly.

Posting anonymously because my story was quite identifiable. During my time there I became very ill and became unconscious. Family couldn't get in contact with me which was highly unusual, and knew I had been unwell so were obviously worried. The uni refused to even confirm I was a student there (which is legally correct under GDPR) and refused to come to find me for about 6 hours. Had I been left much longer the doctors at the hospital say it could have been fatal and that I am pretty lucky to still be here.

After a complaint, Southampton did not apologise, claimed they have done nothing wrong and that they followed their policies throughout (which they did, which indicates they aren't very good policies if they allow someone to be left on their own in a diabetic coma for 24 hours).

Academic staff were fantastic, and put significantly more in place than the support services (oh sorry, "student life" team) managed.

Would not recommend if you have medical conditions requiring Southampton to actually have a duty of care toward you.

Omg I’m so sorry you experienced that! Thanks for sharing, I’ll definitely take that into consideration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending