The Student Room Group

Prothiaden and Alcohol

Well, Anon for obvious reasons.

Im depressed (slipped into depression about 6 months ago) and I was put on Prothiaden 4 weeks ago (50mg a day, taken at night- so a relative low dose, but we are cranking it up slowly).

I knew to avoid alcohol, so I havent drank for about a month and a half (I dont drink much anyway).

My doctor told me to not get drunk, but one or two glasses wont really do anything. She told me it is dangerous to get very drunk on Antidepresants.

So me and my flatmates went to a house party last night, and I had a few drinks. I had 3 cans of Kronenbourg 1664. I was slurring my words when I was walking home with my flatmates. When I got back, I had some vodka with orange. I got told off by my flatmates, becuase I was drunk and this point.

Normally, when I get drunk, I am very loving, really friendly and really chatty. I try to hug people and flirt with the ladies a bit. But this time, I got really angry and started to get a bit violent. I stormed out of the living room, slamming doors and went to bed. My friends figured it was the tablets mixing with the alcohol.

Has anyone else had this type of reaction when drinking alcohol and taking Antidepressants (in particular Prothiaden, but also other tablets). Its strange and scary too, becuase it turned me into the complete opposite of what I am usually like. I am the most placcid person on earth when sober, adn even more so when drunk.

Im just curious, what reactions have you had compared to how you react to alcohol normaly (without Antidepressants)??

Anon if you want.
Reply 1
I need to add that I wasnt VERY drunk, just rather very tipsy. I have a memory of last night.... if that puts things in perspective for you.

Latest