The Student Room Group

Economics at Edinburgh vs. U Chicago?

Hi guys,

I'm an American, applying to both US and UK schools. I haven't sent any of my US apps yet, but I am currently holding an unconditional offer from Edinburgh for economics.

For those of you that don't know, applying to unis in the US is a lot of work because you generally have to write 1-2 essays per uni and pay $70 per application, so I'm trying to limit my choices as much as possible.

Since getting my offer, I have eliminated the American schools that I would not want to go to if given a choice between them and Edinburgh (namely, Northwestern University and University of Michigan, for you US-savvy people), but am unsure if I should eliminate the University of Chicago as well.

I know that U Chicago is world famous for economics, but it's in the worst part of chicago in a really ugly neighborhood, the students generally have no social life (I know many U Chicago students), and I hear they teach their own brand of economics that is somewhat incompatible with the rest of the world's.

For those of you that recognize the two schools, what would you reccomend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Edinburgh as a city and a university is very nice and has great cultural life. But if it comes to studying there or University of Chicago there is no question that U Chicago is much better. Although Edinburgh has a strong international reputation of about 5th in the UK and 20th in the world (mostly due to its history) its UK reputation is nowhere near as strong where it regularly comes 10th-15th (sometimes lower) in the UK in general league tables. For Economics its around 11th in the UK in terms of difficulty to get into (see TAELT) and is behind universities such as Bath, Nottingham and Durham which while are very good for UK universities, they pale in comparison to world famous universities such as the University of Chicago.
Reply 2
I would just suggest waiting for the decisions before asking too many hypothetical questions. You're applying to the best UK unis and might want to wait for decisions from them first.

The answer from me though would be Chicago.
Reply 3
chicago.
Reply 4
if you want more of a social life, then Ed definately, but Economics at Chicago is like one of the most marketable degrees in the world, but then again Ed is hardly going to lead to unemployment.
I'm getting all my info from Tucker Max btw, but I'm pretty sure it's right
Edinburgh is a great city and a great university(having no information about Chicago or the university, I cannot comment on it).

It's really up to you, if I were you I'd wait for Oxford and LSE's responses, which are arguably better than Chicago(or so I've heard). If you have your eyes set on Chicago then by all means go for it.
Reply 6
Stalin
Edinburgh is a great city and a great university(having no information about Chicago or the university, I cannot comment on it).

It's really up to you, if I were you I'd wait for Oxford and LSE's responses, which are arguably better than Chicago(or so I've heard). If you have your eyes set on Chicago then by all means go for it.

i doubt that oxford is better than chicago for economics. in fact im sure its the opposite.
danny111
i doubt that oxford is better than chicago for economics. in fact im sure its the opposite.

Oxford is a more prestigious than Chicago is it not?

Moreover I did include LSE.
Reply 8
Stalin
Oxford is a more prestigious than Chicago is it not?

Moreover I did include LSE.

not for economics.
Reply 9
edinburgh
Reply 10
danny111
not for economics.

This.

The 'Chicago School' is one of the most powerful schools of economic thought. It reigned supreme in the 70s and for a long time after. It has actually become a brand name and has been very influential across the world.

Oxford has nothing on Chicago.
Reply 11
Urgh, not the Chicago school of economics. :biggrin:

If you wouldn't like studying there, which is what is sounds like from your post, then don't apply. It would be better to be at a university you like, even if the courses reputation is not as good, than one where you'll be unhappy for 3 years of your life. When would you need to apply by? Will you hear from LSE, UCL etc. before then?

You really have to pay $70 per application in the US? Makes our UCAS £19 seem very reasonable. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Edinburgh > Chicago (area wise), tbh I'd go with Edinburgh too, I love the look of the uni and the area is so awesome :p:
Greg.
Urgh, not the Chicago school of economics.

That's what I meant by its own brand of economics. I am familiar with the Chicago school, and many professional economists have told me that it is famous for being different, not necessarily for being good. The thing is, I don't want to become "one of those damned Chicago economists", in the sense that I'll be leaving the school brainwashed with the same economic ideologies that made the university famous. I want somewhere that I can think freely and hear every side of the issues.

Greg.
If you wouldn't like studying there, which is what is sounds like from your post, then don't apply. It would be better to be at a university you like, even if the courses reputation is not as good, than one where you'll be unhappy for 3 years of your life. When would you need to apply by? Will you hear from LSE, UCL etc. before then?

Youre right, from my gut impression, I don't want to study there. But like other people have said, it is world renowned and I have a very good chance of being accepted. And actually in the US it's 4 years of your life spent at your chosen university.

I think I'll hear from UCL and possibly Warwick before the Chicago deadline, but the big two only respond afterwards.
brazilianrocker
That's what I meant by its own brand of economics. I am familiar with the Chicago school, and many professional economists have told me that it is famous for being different, not necessarily for being good. The thing is, I don't want to become "one of those damned Chicago economists", in the sense that I'll be leaving the school brainwashed with the same economic ideologies that made the university famous. I want somewhere that I can think freely and hear every side of the issues.

Youre right, from my gut impression, I don't want to study there. But like other people have said, it is world renowned and I have a very good chance of being accepted. And actually in the US it's 4 years of your life spent at your chosen university.

I think I'll hear from UCL and possibly Warwick before the Chicago deadline, but the big two only respond afterwards.

Warwick dont expect an answer till late march/early april as thats when they reply to most of their candidates. In terms of university teaching in the UK I believe pretty much all top 10 economics universities cover more or less the same stuff and the teaching will not be vastly different, although I hear UCL does seem to be more mathematical than others. In terms of reputation for economics I would say that roughly equates to research quality in which LSE is first, UCL second with Warwick and Oxford joint third. I would say these universities (maybe apart from Warwick) would have similar or higher reputation in economics to U of Chicago and even though not directly related Oxford and LSE come higher in the social science league table. However this covers all the social sciences and it should be noted that UCL in particular has a very strong economics department.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=421
goian123434
LSE is first, UCL second with Warwick and Oxford joint third.

Wow I didn't think UCL was that good in economics. It was going to be my fourth choice above everyone but Edinburgh. Would you happen to know if it has good standing outside the UK?
Fiasco
I would just suggest waiting for the decisions before asking too many hypothetical questions. You're applying to the best UK unis and might want to wait for decisions from them first.

As mentioned above, I would have to apply for Chicago before getting most of my decisions back.
Reply 17
goian123434
Warwick dont expect an answer till late march/early april as thats when they reply to most of their candidates. In terms of university teaching in the UK I believe pretty much all top 10 economics universities cover more or less the same stuff and the teaching will not be vastly different, although I hear UCL does seem to be more mathematical than others. In terms of reputation for economics I would say that roughly equates to research quality in which LSE is first, UCL second with Warwick and Oxford joint third. I would say these universities (maybe apart from Warwick) would have similar or higher reputation in economics to U of Chicago and even though not directly related Oxford and LSE come higher in the social science league table. However this covers all the social sciences and it should be noted that UCL in particular has a very strong economics department.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=421

just wrong. read mine and fiasco's earlier posts.

and UCL is not more mathematical than LSE. they are the same (more or less).
Reply 18
brazilianrocker
Wow I didn't think UCL was that good in economics. It was going to be my fourth choice above everyone but Edinburgh. Would you happen to know if it has good standing outside the UK?

yes, (probably) more than warwick as well.
Reply 19
brazilianrocker
As mentioned above, I would have to apply for Chicago before getting most of my decisions back.

Well the $70 for the application is going to be a drop in the ocean if you actually go Chicago anyway (or anywhere else to be honest), it's all just part of the process.

Bottom line is if you don't want to go Chicago, don't apply. Though I would argue that it has one of the best reputations in the world for economics, and you're not going to be brainwashed with people thinking you're a Chicago fool.

Latest

Trending

Trending