The Student Room Group

Bad driving instructors

Scroll to see replies

My first instructor was from Bill Plant, it was terrible! He didn't show up for lessons on time and then when he eventually showed up he didn't add the extra time to the end or anything. I would drive to an industrial estate and just go round the same few roundabouts for an hour. I went to the same place with my mum and did the same thing and my mum pointed out that I shouldn't be paying not to learn anything. In my first hour with BSM I learned more than I had in the last 10 with Bill Plant! There were so many little things BSM taught that I just did not know at all- like how close to stop from a car in front, the right gears to be in, when to signal coming off dual carriageways, positioning at junctions. I think the first instructor was setting me up to fail so he could get more money from lessons :s-smilie:.

Even weirder, every time he showed up for a lesson he would just wait outside my house. He wouldn't text or ring the doorbell and if I didn't notice that he'd arrived in time, he'd drive off and charge me for the lesson. One time, he was 30 minutes late for a lesson so I'd stopped checking if he had arrived. He showed up, waited five minutes, and then drove off. Why wouldn't you just ring the doorbell? I didn't let him charge me for that one though :nah:.
Isn't it interesting how incompetent people are? It's frightening to think that these same lazy, dumb instructors would be being paid the same wage as someone else in a different job. I bet they only make their decent living from fake reviews. Most people are bloody clueless. I think for hard working and intelligent people, self-employment is the way to go.

My instructor would always 'quickly revise' what we did in the previous lesson, and proceed to spend the whole lesson doing that. The look of sadness on his face when I passed my test...
Original post by stimtothesky
My first instructor was from Bill Plant, it was terrible! He didn't show up for lessons on time and then when he eventually showed up he didn't add the extra time to the end or anything. I would drive to an industrial estate and just go round the same few roundabouts for an hour. I went to the same place with my mum and did the same thing and my mum pointed out that I shouldn't be paying not to learn anything. In my first hour with BSM I learned more than I had in the last 10 with Bill Plant! There were so many little things BSM taught that I just did not know at all- like how close to stop from a car in front, the right gears to be in, when to signal coming off dual carriageways, positioning at junctions. I think the first instructor was setting me up to fail so he could get more money from lessons :s-smilie:.

Even weirder, every time he showed up for a lesson he would just wait outside my house. He wouldn't text or ring the doorbell and if I didn't notice that he'd arrived in time, he'd drive off and charge me for the lesson. One time, he was 30 minutes late for a lesson so I'd stopped checking if he had arrived. He showed up, waited five minutes, and then drove off. Why wouldn't you just ring the doorbell? I didn't let him charge me for that one though :nah:.

That’s so bad! He should’ve just text/called you to say he was outside!

I remember an instructor I had when I first started learning, he acted so awful towards me after a few lessons. Literally knocked my confidence to the point I stopped taking lessons with him (he is the owner of his driving school). I then took a year out of lessons, then got to the point where I got fed up of using public transport/relying on lifts and then went to another driving school, the instructor I had was lovely, he then went on to become a driving examiner. The instructor I then chose was just as good as the previous, and passed on my 3rd attempt (1st attempt my nerves unfortunately got the better of me in the last 5 mins and mucked up a manoeuvre, 2nd attempt was just so bad).

Original post by DavidJES
Isn't it interesting how incompetent people are? It's frightening to think that these same lazy, dumb instructors would be being paid the same wage as someone else in a different job. I bet they only make their decent living from fake reviews. Most people are bloody clueless. I think for hard working and intelligent people, self-employment is the way to go.

My instructor would always 'quickly revise' what we did in the previous lesson, and proceed to spend the whole lesson doing that. The look of sadness on his face when I passed my test...

Exactly! I remember ages ago when I was looking round for an instructor, and there was one driving school that didn’t have particularly great reviews, apparently (not from online reviews, but by word of mouth), this particular instructor apparently fell asleep during lessons, don’t know how true this is though.

And well done for passing :smile:
I have gotten lucky with such a good driving instructor for my first time.

In the first few lessons I nearly crashed a few times into parked cars, but while I nearly gave him a heart attack (he drives an Audi A3 so he’s very calm for me nearly crashing a car like that) he remained relatively calm and just told me carry on and be careful.

I have bad concentration and listening skills, and despite me nearly running a set of traffic lights when he first took me on proper roads, where he had to emergency break because he kept telling me to break, hoping I’d hear him, and even raised his voice, but in the end he had to break. He never gets really annoyed (maybe slightly, occasionally, when I just seem to not be doing anything he tells me at all which happens too often lately) and keeps complementing me if I do something well, even if it’s small. He focuses on what I struggle with and says some people learn at different rates, and says he tailors the lessons to the students so he knows if I ask to go over something whether or not it’s worth the money for me.

He has even turned up early on occasion. Once he turned up 2-3 minutes late and apologised (which I saw no need for and told him so since it wasn’t ant late) because he needed to go home for the toilet.

He can get irritated at times when I ask him to repeat directions (“yeah, I just said that”) or if I take about 5 seconds to follow through with an instruction like when to indicate since I’m trying so hard to focus on everything at once, and watching where I’m steering, but he remains patient and encouraging.

He’ll ask me how I think it went after every lesson, and lets me message him if I have any questions outside of the lessons, and has even told me that if I cannot afford it don’t try and take more lessons a week, don’ Feel like I need to, so he clearly cares more about the teaching than the money.

Despite nearly rear ending a parked bus, where he did shout and yanked the steering wheel just a second in time, he still wasn’t mad at me. He calmed down almost instantly. In a situation like that him not even raising his voice, never mind shouting, would make me think he was worse. Sometimes, when a driving instructor shouts it’s not a sign of a bad instructor.

I have heard of some really bad horror driving instructor stories...I guess I got really lucky.
(edited 4 years ago)
I know this is an old thread but wanted to add my story. I have been with a driving instructor for 3 years total; first two years I had a test at the end and was close to passing. I recently went back to this instructor and things have been going progressively worse. My current instructor has never shown me how to do the emergency stop, keeps asking me to recap on what was done the previous week, makes plans for the following week but does not keep to it, makes me feel nervous, anxious and unmotivated. He doesn't shout but I can tell when he's annoyed or exspariated when having to repeat manovours (especially now I've been with him 3 years). He took the biscuit when on the day of my test, actually driving to the test centre he asked me if we have done the emergency stop. I tell him no and he acts surprised and tells me 'I'm an old man, you should remind me.' As I get to the test centre the examiner tells me that I may get the emergency stop as a manoeuvre and of course I panic. I had the most awful driving experience that day but my instructor was happy to take the £60 for the privilege. He's been late, charge me extra for evening lessons, moaned about his work, chatted about other pupils, was extremely nit-picky about every little thing and make manoeuvres more difficult to understand than need be. When he did the mock tests he would fail to stay in character...if I did a slight thing wrong he would have to speak on it or correct it, making the whole experience feel less of a mock test. Anyway I've spoken to a new instructor and really happy to go with her. Her reviews are excellent and the driving school is well established in my area. I've had one conversation with her and I am already feeling positive vibes about her, and definitely feel I will pass soon!
Yeah i had bad experience with Zeb driving school in Watford He always late never apologised And he also very rude and doesn't know how to explain
Reply 326
I was outraged with AA driving school. I booked 20 hrs with an instructor called: Shahid Razzaq(mill hill)Every week he would refuse to book my lesson in advance for the next week, and I would be chasing him up with texts/calls to book lessons.Then it was his YouTube,WhatsApp & instagram usage whilst I was learning in the car.Loud music on/off, Whatsaps to his friends and scrolling through Instagram when I needed his undivided attention which was the tip of the iceberg.My lessons consisted of driving around mill hill every lesson and he still didn't teach me about reverse parking/parking.His sudden bursts of anger during the lessons was the final straw and i decided to end my experience with this dwodle.Not to mention his lateness and constant stops for snacks.His coffee would be by the hand break preventing me from using it sufficiently.AA was informed about his conduct/usage of phone but he is STILL on the road as an instructor,which doesn't surprise me at all. Iv seen him around. For him it was easy money and no work. Avoid this illegal school
Original post by HELPING
lol my dads an instructor and wohoo he is amazing!! a model and Yamile Aldama got lessons with himmm

You're lucky
Original post by vipinkappil
I have taken unlimited driving lessons from an approved ADI Mr Mario, Barnet driving school after seeing his advt on gumtree. After getting £1000 in his account he started to give many excuses not to come for lessons on time.Finally he promised to give me a refund after one month but blocked my phone numbers when I tried to contact him.I am still trying to take him to court.So be careful when paying for your driving lessons in advance.

After reading this I think that this person might also be my driving instructor right now...

I am going through the same thing...

I wanted to check if you ever got your money back? I really hope you did!
What is his number
Do you know his phone number

Original post by Emma:-)
Has anyone had a bad driving instructor past or present that they want to moan about.
Did they turn up for lessons late/not at all? Did they not teach you anything or take you round the same streets again and again? Did they cancel lessons at the last minute? etc
Share your experiences and warn people of dodgy instructors
Original post by Carlinellis
Do you know his phone number

Who's phone number?
Original post by Purple Giraffe
My instructor was brilliant.

But three of my friends seem to have pretty bad instructors. One wasn't allowed to drive from home or back until about 15 lessons in (ie. he would drive her to a long wide road where she could practice). Another has ben learning with the same instructor for about 10 months and has only done 2 of the 4 maneuvers. And one other has had about 10 lessons and has only just been allowed to go into 3rd gear, she would actually have to go in 40 zones in 2nd.

Seems like I was lucky with my instructor!

I have a similar issue like ur first friend, I spend about half anour driving after paying for hour lessons because they need to drive me to the testing area. It’s jus annoying cus I don’t get in thr maximum time. They said after a while when I’m more familiar with driving I can drive to and from the area.

This is also my second instructor so I cba to keep changing but my first one was just horrible, made me feel like s*** whilst driving.
My instructor would make me go and pick up his family to take them home during my hour lesson! we would also go and pick up lunch for his wife, drop it to her, pick up his son to drop to his wife, fill his car with fuel ect
Reply 334
My instructors name was Kanchan Dhokia (kar driving school) based in stag lane, London

At the first she was exuding this motherly act.Henceforth, she became abusive.Her belligerence left me mentally drained.She mostly talked about nonsensical anecdotes.Major test routes were a no show for the most part. I flagged this but she gagged me metaphorically "stop talking".She was on the phone with her bare foul smelling feet pressed against on the head board, ate constantly which was unpleasant to endure.This begs the question who is paying here?

She had a psychotic episode shouting at me "Shut up"(sic).I was informed I cannot be saved & have a toxic energy which caused her to get "sick".She asked me if I ever had a boyfriend as she doesn't want me "to be used".She would stare at close proximity whilst I was driving.If I made an error in verbatim:"apology not accepted, becareful of my car". She told me to believe in God but she was devoid of Integrity & compassion.She projected her insecurities onto me in a sick subliminal way.

She called her students toxic.Her rules state to not chew gum & wear perfume.She prides herself as the nurturing mother role to prolong her abuse. I severed ties with this callous person who loved control.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending