The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

c0nfus3d
Btw, wikipedia is written by anybody

Btw check the references at the bottom of the page.
c0nfus3d
anything about the creation?
how did the book come about?

I don't know too much about creation, it is said somehwere about the 'Cosmic egg' being split, interpret that however you may being scientifcally accurate or inaccurate, but I was just pointing out that just because there are some verses in the Quran which might be true, it doesn't make them divine, since they are contradicted by evolution in others, but I really don't want to get into evolution, we'll be here all night :smile:

As for the book, I'm not sure how it was come about, it's known as one of the oldest manuscripts in human civilzation that orginated from India, roughly 3000 years ago. It was passed down in a precise oral recitation through the generations.
Charzhino
It doesn't really matter if there are 5 or 7 layers, it's just a subjective view on the atmosphere. The layers don't know themselves whether they are 7 or 5, you know what I mean? It's just a system we adopt to better understand the atmosphere.

Fair point, but I still think the whole claim about the levels of the atmosphere being in the Qur'an is bogus.
Ahania
I've only read the Gita, it's hard to find a non sucky translation of the Vedas. Still, it totally owns. Oppenheimer's quote alone makes it as righteous as Paradise Lost or the Divine Comedy.

I have no idea what the Vedas are saying when I try to readt hem. I think only Brahmans can read and interpret the text, which is why it's weird for laymen.
no
Reply 185
Charzhino
I have no idea what the Vedas are saying when I try to readt hem. I think only Brahmans can read and interpret the text, which is why it's weird for laymen.

Cool, just like GZA.

Yes I claimed the Vedas is similar to a man rapping about Samurai and bibles and stuff.

Is there any one universally considered translation? As in one used for English academic studies and things? I think that the Vedas will be similar to the Qur'an in this, the quality of the translation defines how enlightening it is.
Reply 186
sandeep90
Btw check the references at the bottom of the page.

I would argue back, 'cause I'm always sure there definitely is a point your missing but I'm off to bed. No one won this. End OF.
c0nfus3d
I would argue back, 'cause I'm always sure there definitely is a point your missing but I'm off to bed. No one won this. End OF.

:king1:
Ahania
Cool, just like GZA.

Yes I claimed the Vedas is similar to a man rapping about Samurai and bibles and stuff.

Is there any one universally considered translation? As in one used for English academic studies and things? I think that the Vedas will be similar to the Qur'an in this, the quality of the translation defines how enlightening it is.

I'm not too sure. Yea, the quality of translation has a huge effect on the interpretation. The Vedas are more of a authority/law books, wheras the style of the Gita is more personal, as Krishna is talking and comforting a scared man named Arjuna before he goes into battle, which many scholors believe is a allergory of God talking to mankind.
Reply 189
sandeep90
:king1:

ha! :awesome:
yeah. Okay then. Whatever.
:curious: :stupid: :facepalm: :nooo: :musicus: :hello: :poke: :nope: :jive: :creep: :itsme: :bebored: :puke: :goofy: :ninjagirl: :banana2: :ike: :hoppy: :fuhrer: :bee2: :bigsmile: :ciao: :groovy: :rock: :wings: :fluffy: :fyi: :star:
c0nfus3d
ha! :awesome:
yeah. Okay then. Whatever.
:curious: :stupid: :facepalm: :nooo: :musicus: :hello: :poke: :nope: :jive: :creep: :itsme: :bebored: :puke: :goofy: :ninjagirl: :banana2: :ike: :hoppy: :fuhrer: :bee2: :bigsmile: :ciao: :groovy: :rock: :wings: :fluffy: :fyi: :star:

:nospam:
Stratos
dam I'm having a nostalgic rush, Kenan and Kell and kell's orange soda addiction. He even made a song about it(similar to chocolate rain)

That pic's not Kenan and Kel! That's "Welcome to The Good Burger, home of the Good Burger, can I take yal ordah?" from something the name of which escapes me.

But yeah, nostalgia ftw.
Reply 192
The Muslims posting on this forum are doing nothing to help their cause: they're not open to any criticism of their religion or their prophet (because obviously that proves that Islam isn't "perfect" as claimed: even though nothing created 1500 years ago can be considered totally relevant and perfect for today).
Not being racist, but lets look at the fact that much of the Quaran is copied from Jewish Scriptures and definately isn't a new idea. Lets look at the fact that an illiterate man who married a six year old and used the mask of God to commit various attrocities-such as genocide and the destruction of towns-is also claimed to be the saviour of humanity and one hundred percent perfect (read anything by Craig Winn to verify this, although he is a racist he is one with a valid point). Lets look at how Islam is just as susceptible to being hijacked by extremists to make an unjust cause just (like Christianity has been several times). Islam isn't a unique religion, it's a nice religion when the basic principles (like having faith, praying and giving to charity) are followed properly, but so are most religions.
So basically, stop trying to shove Islam down everyones throats. It is no better nor any worse than any other religion, it is, just that: a religion.
Reply 193
sandeep90
:nospam:

er... :ike:
Reply 194
Ahania
Cool, just like GZA.

Their entirely different kinds of texts. The Vedas originate with the Aryan invasions and are actually older than was mentioned possibly 1700 BCE. Their as much about preserving the ritual and traditions of a nomadic community whose way of life is rapidly altering through permanent settlement, as religious text. The Gita is a reaction to the development and rapid expansion of Buddhism most likely composed by a single author or group.

Edit:Are you Persian by the way?:smile:
Reply 195
BeDevil*
Their entirely different kinds of texts. The Vedas originate with the Aryan invasions and are actually older than was mentioned possibly 1700 BCE. Their as much about preserving the ritual and traditions of a nomadic community whose way of life is rapidly altering through permanent settlement, as religious text. The Gita is a reaction to the development and rapid expansion of Buddhism most likely composed by a single author or group.

Edit:Are you Persian by the way?:smile:

About a third Persian, I thought I'd rock it with respect for a while.

I thought the Gita was supposed to have fallen from heaven on massive stone tablets. That's a much cooler origin story than a reaction to expanding Bhuddism.
Reply 196
Ahania
About a third Persian, I thought I'd rock it with respect for a while.

I thought the Gita was supposed to have fallen from heaven on massive stone tablets. That's a much cooler origin story than a reaction to expanding Bhuddism.

Urgh! Science it ruins everything. You could always resort to denial advantageous in situations such as this.
I'm mix myself. Do enjoy your Persian phase however long.:h:

Incidentally theirs a Persian society on TSR: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=496751&page=274

Nice to meet you in any case: :hat2:
Reply 197
s33
The Muslims posting on this forum are doing nothing to help their cause: they're not open to any criticism of their religion or their prophet (because obviously that proves that Islam isn't "perfect" as claimed: even though nothing created 1500 years ago can be considered totally relevant and perfect for today).
Not being racist, but lets look at the fact that much of the Quaran is copied from Jewish Scriptures and definitely isn't a new idea. Lets look at the fact that an illiterate man who married a six year old and used the mask of God to commit various attrocities-such as genocide and the destruction of towns-is also claimed to be the saviour of humanity and one hundred percent perfect (read anything by Craig Winn to verify this, although he is a racist he is one with a valid point). Lets look at how Islam is just as susceptible to being hijacked by extremists to make an unjust cause just (like Christianity has been several times). Islam isn't a unique religion, it's a nice religion when the basic principles (like having faith, praying and giving to charity) are followed properly, but so are most religions.
So basically, stop trying to shove Islam down everyones throats. It is no better nor any worse than any other religion, it is, just that: a religion.

If you actually read abit about Islam, you would understand that to be a Muslim, you must accept the Torah and Injeel(Bible) as Books from God :yes: The Quran was sent down, because the previous Books have been distorted and thus redundant.

Let us look at the facts, as you insist. 1400 years ago, in Arabia, life expectancy was around 35-40, people aged over, were considered extremely healthy and blessed. They also matured early, an example being Osama Bin Zaid, a 17 year old who lead the Muslims to victory over the Romans. Another example, would be conquering Spain, which was done by teenagers. I think you undestand what i'm trying to say. Muhummad PBUH, married Ayesha, when she was 9. She gave consent, she wanted to marry him, they did not consumate their marriage until she was at the right age, even after she married, she didn't live with her husband, she lived with her mum and dad, until she was ready to move out. This was nothing new, nor amazing, it was a common occurence in Europe and Asia at the time, obviuously things have changed since then.

Your attack is against Muhummad is made even more weak when you look at the present day, people having sex with minors, European and American men moving to Asia where it is easy for them to molest children, these people can be attacked on a moral front, the same cannot be said about the Prophet Muhummad PBUH.

Again, your lack of knowledge of the history of Islam is making your argument even more pathetic. Muslims were being oppressed, and they did not fight back for many years, they were not even defending themselves after they were being attacked, this lead to the prophet having to Migrate to Yathrib. It was only many years later, where they were allowed to defend themselves, the conditions being that they had to be attacked first, and if it was severe enough that they had fallen to the ground. Even then, they could only hit back with blunt objects, so your argument of Muhummad being a warlord, is wholly incorrect.

You do, however, make a good point. Muslims are good people, it is a pillar of faith that they must give 2.5% of their wealth to the poor each year. You also make a valid point that Islam, is being portrayed negatively by extremists, you wouldn't judge a ferrari as being rubbish if the driver was a poor one, you would blame the driver, likewise, Islam isn't to be blamed here, extremists are.

Islam is the only true religion, as it is not just a religion, it is a way of life.
Reply 198
The_0001
If you actually read abit about Islam, you would understand that to be a Muslim, you must accept the Torah and Injeel(Bible) as Books from God :yes: The Quran was sent down, because the previous Books have been distorted and thus redundant.

Let us look at the facts, as you insist. 1400 years ago, in Arabia, life expectancy was around 35-40, people aged over, were considered extremely healthy and blessed. They also matured early, an example being Osama Bin Zaid, a 17 year old who lead the Muslims to victory over the Romans. Another example, would be conquering Spain, which was done by teenagers. I think you undestand what i'm trying to say. Muhummad PBUH, married Ayesha, when she was 9. She gave consent, she wanted to marry him, they did not consumate their marriage until she was at the right age, even after she married, she didn't live with her husband, she lived with her mum and dad, until she was ready to move out. This was nothing new, nor amazing, it was a common occurence in Europe and Asia at the time, obviuously things have changed since then.

Your attack is against Muhummad is made even more weak when you look at the present day, people having sex with minors, European and American men moving to Asia where it is easy for them to molest children, these people can be attacked on a moral front, the same cannot be said about the Prophet Muhummad PBUH.

Again, your lack of knowledge of the history of Islam is making your argument even more pathetic. Muslims were being oppressed, and they did not fight back for many years, they were not even defending themselves after they were being attacked, this lead to the prophet having to Migrate to Yathrib. It was only many years later, where they were allowed to defend themselves, the conditions being that they had to be attacked first, and if it was severe enough that they had fallen to the ground. Even then, they could only hit back with blunt objects, so your argument of Muhummad being a warlord, is wholly incorrect.

You do, however, make a good point. Muslims are good people, it is a pillar of faith that they must give 2.5% of their wealth to the poor each year. You also make a valid point that Islam, is being portrayed negatively by extremists, you wouldn't judge a ferrari as being rubbish if the driver was a poor one, you would blame the driver, likewise, Islam isn't to be blamed here, extremists are.

Islam is the only true religion, as it is not just a religion, it is a way of life.

A.) Just because an incredibly small majority of Westerners are paedophiles today, doesn't make it fine to have been one 1500 years ago.
B.) As far as I'm aware he married her at 6 (and you seem to be brainwashed and disillusioned so I'm not going to trust your facts) which was still an exceptionally young age for the time.
C.) Your biased viewpoint is stopping you from seeing that Islam is nothing special in terms of religions. It is most definately not perfect, otherwise extremists would not be able to hijack it and mutate it to something that is evil and disgusting, as they do. Islam is susceptible to the exact same flaws as other religions.
D.)Although Middle Eastern Astrologers and scientists did discover many things that were way ahead of their time (before the mainstream introduction of Islam into their society) there is no doubt that a lot of the science in the Muslim Holy books is incorrect, proving the Qu'ran is not a perfect book. Added to all of the contradictions within the book, you can easily see that it is just like any other book.

Again, I have to point you to Craig Winn and his literature. It is all availible on the internet, is well researched and, although he is no doubt an Islamaphobe, he makes good points.

Get over yourself, get over the fact your religion is just a religion, not THE religion.
Reply 199
s33
A.) Just because an incredibly small majority of Westerners are paedophiles today, doesn't make it fine to have been one 1500 years ago.
B.) As far as I'm aware he married her at 6 (and you seem to be brainwashed and disillusioned so I'm not going to trust your facts) which was still an exceptionally young age for the time.
C.) Your biased viewpoint is stopping you from seeing that Islam is nothing special in terms of religions. It is most definitely not perfect, otherwise extremists would not be able to hijack it and mutate it to something that is evil and disgusting, as they do. Islam is susceptible to the exact same flaws as other religions.
D.)Although Middle Eastern Astrologers and scientists did discover many things that were way ahead of their time (before the mainstream introduction of Islam into their society) there is no doubt that a lot of the science in the Muslim Holy books is incorrect, proving the Qu'ran is not a perfect book. Added to all of the contradictions within the book, you can easily see that it is just like any other book.

Again, I have to point you to Craig Winn and his literature. It is all availible on the internet, is well researched and, although he is no doubt an Islamaphobe, he makes good points.

Get over yourself, get over the fact your religion is just a religion, not THE religion.

I think your argument encapsulates your who demeanour, why don't you actually do some research.

Latest

Trending

Trending