Converting CIE A-Level grades to 4.0 Scale GPA

Scroll to see replies

whats my gpa i got
A* chem
A*bio
A* Maths at a level second year
and got an A in maths,physics,chem,bio and computer science first year
I dropped computer science and physics at second year
i wanted to see if i have a chance at an ivy league college like harvard to study medicine
(edited 6 years ago)
What is the percentage of 2.50 GPA in alevels
wait, so for my GPA at GCSE I have a 3.94......

4A*s4As2Bs....
Hi,My name is Amaan, and I am from India.My O-Level Grades are as follow:1. ICT - C2. First Language English - D3. Mathematics - D4. Biology - D5. Chemistry - C6. Physics - CMy A-Level grades are as follow:1.English Language - E2. Chemistry - E3. Physics - D4. Mathematics - E5. ICT - DWhat would my GPA be?
Original post by Mahran
Hi everyone, I have seen this question asked many times without any proper answers, so I thought this should be the right moment for me to end such dilemma (Yes, I am a very smart guy, thanks :yes: ).

First of all, what is the equivalent of "A-Level" courses in the US universities?

We get such an answer from the British Council website, the OFFICIAL ORIGINAL AUTHENTICATED website, here:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/usa-education-uk-glossary.htmGlossary#_a_

If you don't want to open the links:
Exams taken by English, Northern Irish and Welsh students in order to gain entrance to UK university, similar to Advanced Placement (AP) tests.

So A Level in UK=AP in USA

Now, how to calculate the CIE (A Level) GPA?
From the OFFICIAL ORIGINAL AUTHENTICATED CIE website, here:
http://www.cie.org.uk/docs/recognition/Calculating%20GPAs%20for%20IGCSE.pdf
Oo, but that is for IGCSE, not A Levels?
Oh, you mean the O Level courses? never mind.
Forget about the A Level for a while, and let's see the PDF:
CIE US
A,A* A
B A-
C B
D C+
E C
F D+
G D
U F (FAIL)
Alright, now the Numerical Values for the above US alpha grades are as follows (from the same PDF):
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
(This is seems to be the standard US values, I have found them on many webstes, here forexample:
http://www.ncu.edu.tw/~joshua/gpa_charts.htm)
Therefore we have:
CIE Numerical US
A* 4.0
A 4.0
B 3.7
C 3.0
D 2.3
E 2.0
F 1.3
G 1.0 (Least possible passing US Numerical Grade, I guess)
Alright till now?
Now what is so special about AP (which are the equivalent to A Level) courses when calculating the GPA?
Let's take the "OAK PARK HIGH SCHOOL" for example, how do they add A Level courses to the GPA?
Here:
http://www.ophs.opusd.k12.ca.us/gpa_&_class_rank.htm
If you don't want to open the link:

Got it everybody?

THAT SIMPLY, MEANS THAT EVERY AP COURSE (EQUIVALENT TO A LEVEL COURSE) RECEIVES 1 EXTRA POINT!!!

For example, If I got A in an A-Level Mathematics, that would have the Numerical value of 5 (the O Level numerical value of A=4, add 1 extra point, 4+1=5), Got it?

Another Example:
I studied (for real) 8 O Level subjects, my Grades were as follows:
Mathematics A*
Chemistry A
Accounting A
Physics B
Biology B
IT B
Arabic C
English C
That would be a GPA of (4+4+4+3.7+3.7+3.7+3.0+3.0)/8=3.64
(That wat of calculation is from the above CIE pdf file, nothing I came by if from myself)
Then I studied 2 A Level Subjects:
Mathematics B
Chemistry C
They would have the numerical values of 3.7+3.0 respectively, plus 1 Extra Point for each of them, that would be 4.7+4.0 respectively.
Then we calculate the GPA:
(4+4+4+3.7+3.7+3.7+3.0+3.0+4.7+4)/10=3.78

GOT IT everyone?

(No wonder my IQ is 144, that's 2 points less than the US president)

Every site is telling me different according to you I have a 3.7gpa but others are telling me 3.2 and 2.95 ect
The letter grades are being decided by the teachers ,the letter grades are being follow as A is 4 points B is 3 points C is 2 points and D is 1 point and F as we know that is O points, So by this all the conversions being done to 4.0 scale GPA..For more I'll recommended you GPA Calculator that helps you in a stunning way to perform all 4.0 grades scale conversions..Hope that will helped!
Hi there can you help me convert my IGCSE grades to GPA? I got 2A*s and 5As
The official UCAS website states:
Does this also apply to the Canadian GDP?
Quick question, post-A levels would my GPA be an accumulative GPA of O levels AND A levels or would it solely rely on A levelsi.e. (O levels GPA A levels GPA)/2 or (A levels GPA)
Original post by aashir_.adnan
Quick question, post-A levels would my GPA be an accumulative GPA of O levels AND A levels or would it solely rely on A levelsi.e. (O levels GPA A levels GPA)/2 or (A levels GPA)

People keep asking this question even if it's been answered so many times, in this thread and everywhere else. If you attended school in the British system, there is NO GPA calcultation for you. It's only for Americans going through the US High school system. No University worth their salt will recalculate your grades into a GPA, and you won't be compared to Americans anyways, but to international students who have gone through the same system as you. US Colleges are very aware and know how to handle the British system perfectly.
In general, when they evaluate your grades, A levels will have a higher waiting than GCSEs/OLevels, by how much depends on the school.
I know that this is a really really late reply but I'm just wondering about all this gpa stuff . I had 5As and 1A* in O levels and A* A A B in A levels so by your calculation I have a 4.37 GPA lol
Original post by Mahran
Hi everyone, I have seen this question asked many times without any proper answers, so I thought this should be the right moment for me to end such dilemma (Yes, I am a very smart guy, thanks :yes: ).

First of all, what is the equivalent of "A-Level" courses in the US universities?

We get such an answer from the British Council website, the OFFICIAL ORIGINAL AUTHENTICATED website, here:

Exams taken by English, Northern Irish and Welsh students in order to gain entrance to UK university, similar to Advanced Placement (AP) tests.

CIE US
A,A* A
B A-
C B
D C+
E C
F D+
G D
U F (FAIL)
Alright, now the Numerical Values for the above US alpha grades are as follows (from the same PDF):
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
(This is seems to be the standard US values, I have found them on many webstes, here forexample:
Therefore we have:
CIE Numerical US
A* 4.0
A 4.0
B 3.7
C 3.0
D 2.3
E 2.0
F 1.3
Alright till now?
Now what is so special about AP (which are the equivalent to A Level) courses when calculating the GPA?
Let's take the "OAK PARK HIGH SCHOOL" for example, how do they add A Level courses to the GPA?
Here:

Got it everybody?

THAT SIMPLY, MEANS THAT EVERY AP COURSE (EQUIVALENT TO A LEVEL COURSE) RECEIVES 1 EXTRA POINT!!!

For example, If I got A in an A-Level Mathematics, that would have the Numerical value of 5 (the O Level numerical value of A=4, add 1 extra point, 4+1=5), Got it?

Another Example:
Mathematics A*
Chemistry A
Accounting A
Physics B
Biology B
IT B
Arabic C
English C
(That wat of calculation is from the above CIE pdf file, nothing I came by if from myself)
Mathematics B
Chemistry C
They would have the numerical values of 3.7+3.0 respectively, plus 1 Extra Point for each of them, that would be 4.7+4.0 respectively.

GOT IT everyone?

I know that this is a really really late reply but I'm just wondering about all this gpa stuff .
I had 5As and 1A* in O levels and A* A A B in A levels so by your calculation I have a 4.37 GPA lol
Please see the answer above your question: GPA is not applicable, and/or meaningful to anyone who has studied outside of the US. In general your grades are good but not stellar. If you really want to compare yourself to Americans for general search purposes, a good guesstimate would be a 3.8ish gpa for you, unweighted (with 4/4 max).
Weighted GPA (5/5, 100/100, x/n, is meaningless even for US based students, as there are about 20 different ways to compute it depending on school, county, state etc. Colleges actually recalculate GPA themselves according to their own formulas because of that.
Reply 94
I have a doubt. While calculating GPA, do I have to add my IGCSE and As (A level ) Level results ??
If you got accepted with AAA but in the exams got BCC would you get turned away if the offer said to “continue on your trajectory Would I still get in?
Reply 96
Thank you so much, just a question though. For the example you gave after adding A level scores to o level gpa scores does it mean the final GPA is now weighted or it’s under unweighted
Reply 97
Thanks so much just a question, on the last example after adding Alevel score to o level score is final GPA weighted or unweighted

Original post by Mahran

CIE US
A,A* A
B A-
C B
D C+
E C
F D+
G D
U F (FAIL)
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
Therefore we have:
CIE Numerical US
A* 4.0
A 4.0
B 3.7
C 3.0
D 2.3
E 2.0
F 1.3
Alright till now?
Here:

Got it everybody?

Another Example:
Mathematics A*
Chemistry A
Accounting A
Physics B
Biology B
IT B
Arabic C
English C
Mathematics B
Chemistry C

GOT IT everyone?

Original post by NakaiM
Thank you so much, just a question though. For the example you gave after adding A level scores to o level gpa scores does it mean the final GPA is now weighted or it’s under unweighted

Just don't calculate your GPA. There's an option on CommonApp for "not reported" under GPA scale. Use it. International Admissions Officers will use the data as they need to - it won't disadvantage you and saves you possibly getting it wrong.
Reply 99
Is the conversion same for Canadian Universities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending