The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why don't you just carry on taking the pill, then take your break later once you've seen him? I'm not sure this is ok for all pills, but my GP told me it was fine for the pill I'm on. He said that really I don't have to take a break if I don't want to, as long as I have one every once in a while.
I take 4 breaks a year. I've been on it for 8 years. The reason being, crushing pain. I may take more, maybe increase it to 6. Still, no harm done. My doctor doesn't mind. So taking 3 packs together is not going to harm you.
Reply 22
Original post by Charlski
But surely as the pill prevents ovulation, taking it early during the break would have no effect other than normal?

Well, that's not primarily how the pill works...
Reply 23
Screw the pill go for the contraceptive patch! Much eaisier :smile:
yeah thats what im asking. well i took a pregnancy test anyway and it came back negative. but is the second strip still effective?
Reply 25
Original post by hslt
Well, that's not primarily how the pill works...

No?

BBC Health
How does the pill work?

The main way the pill works is by stopping the ovaries releasing an egg each month (ovulation). It also:
•Thickens the mucus in the cervix, making it difficult for sperm to reach an egg
•Makes the lining of the womb thinner so it is less likely to accept a fertilised egg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/sexual_health/contr_combpill.shtml
Reply 26
Apologies, didn't mean to post the above reply to
hslt
see above
as anonymous.
I don't think shortening the break will stop your period immediately. That said - I've never tried it. I wouldn't like to chance it though!
I would just run the two packs together, it doesn't matter that you did it on the last one. You don't technically need to take the break - it's just good to give your body the break every so often XD
Reply 28
Original post by Charlski
Apologies, didn't mean to post the above reply to as anonymous.

BUT not all cycles are anovulatory.

The most important aspect is that it thickens cervical mucus thus making the sperm unable to ascend through the os. This is why even the ovulatory cycles don't end in pregnancy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22402257
During treatment cycle 2, ovulation was inhibited in 100% and 92.9% of Japanese and Caucasian women, respectively.

92.5% anovulatory by the second cycle, versus 99.9999% success in prevention of pregnancy by the second cycle. Making another factor far more imporant in preventing pregnancy. I.e. in almost 100% of those ovulatory cycles, the thickened cervical mucus prevents pregnancy.

http://www.contraceptionjournal.org/article/S0010-7824(11)00174-0/abstract
This one shows there is a dose-dependent effect - not all pills are that high up on the dose-dependency curve.

Anovulation was the primary goal in developing the OCP though, and is an important mechanism of action. And it was surprisingly hard to find evidence to support what I was saying.
I've been on the pill for about five years now, never had any bad side effects from it (I know I'm lucky in that regard), and for the majority of that time always run my packs together. If I start spotting, I stop for a short break, but that only happens a couple of times a year.

The thing that baffles me is, why don't other people do this? I've checked with a GP who specializes in sexual health, and she reassured me it's totally safe. So essentially, as long as you don't have a reaction to the pill, women don't need to have periods any more. But everyone does. Why?!
Reply 30
Original post by Inside View
I've been on the pill for about five years now, never had any bad side effects from it (I know I'm lucky in that regard), and for the majority of that time always run my packs together. If I start spotting, I stop for a short break, but that only happens a couple of times a year.

The thing that baffles me is, why don't other people do this? I've checked with a GP who specializes in sexual health, and she reassured me it's totally safe. So essentially, as long as you don't have a reaction to the pill, women don't need to have periods any more. But everyone does. Why?!

Some people find it reassuring to have a monthly period, some people can't run packs together...personally I'm with you though, I avoid periods at all costs and if I could take it continually I definitely would! I can only take 3 packs in a row before I start spotting and have to have a break. I've never had monthly breaks though and I've been on the pill for 7.5 years I think!
Reply 31
It does say so in the instructions (at least for Gedarel) It says you can run two packs together.

I woke up this morning and for some reason thought i have been on my week break already and hadn't had my period. Freaked out took the pill i thought id missed and then after a while thinking about it i realised im only on day 2 of my 7 day break. Doh. So now i don't know whether to carry on with the new pack or carry on with the break? Any suggestions?
For the 5-day break pill, I forgot to take it on the 5th day. Can I take it on the 6th day? Lengthening a 7 day break is bad but can I lengthen a 5 day break?
So with the pill you are meant to take pills for 21 days and stop for 7. If I shorten my break to 4 days, shall I take pills for 24 days so it still adds up to a monthly cycle? Or just 21 days of pills and a 4 day break? Thanks
Original post by londonstudentx
So with the pill you are meant to take pills for 21 days and stop for 7. If I shorten my break to 4 days, shall I take pills for 24 days so it still adds up to a monthly cycle? Or just 21 days of pills and a 4 day break? Thanks

Why do you want to shorten the break?
It's better to take 21 tablets and just shorten the break rather than your other suggestion. Note that after the 4 day break there may still be some bleeding during the first few days of your new pack whether you do 21 pills or 24.
INFO I FOUND ON WOMENSHEALTHCENTRE
Short breaks or continuous use Research has shown that birth control pills are more effective when women do not take a seven day break from hormones to have their periods. For packages with seven reminder pills, you may shorten the break by only taking three of the reminder pills and then starting your next pack of pills. Packages with four reminder pills are fine to take as they are. With a 21-day pack, just start again after a three or four (rather than seven) day break. Even if you still have your period, it is okay to start the next package of pills early. Also, this might mean that your period gets shorter and/or lighter, and that is also okay. Each month, be sure to set your alarm or mark your calendar for your next start date. Some women prefer not to have a period every month, and to take their pills without a break. This is okay, because when you are taking birth control pills the lining in your uterus does not grow as much and does not need to shed every month. If you want to skip a period, you may use your pills continuously by not taking a break or any reminder pills.
INFO I FOUND ON EVERYWOMANSHEALTHCENTRE
Short breaks or continuous use Research has shown that birth control pills are more effective when women do not take a seven day break from hormones to have their periods. For packages with seven reminder pills, you may shorten the break by only taking three of the reminder pills and then starting your next pack of pills. Packages with four reminder pills are fine to take as they are. With a 21-day pack, just start again after a three or four (rather than seven) day break. Even if you still have your period, it is okay to start the next package of pills early. Also, this might mean that your period gets shorter and/or lighter, and that is also okay. Each month, be sure to set your alarm or mark your calendar for your next start date. Some women prefer not to have a period every month, and to take their pills without a break. This is okay, because when you are taking birth control pills the lining in your uterus does not grow as much and does not need to shed every month. If you want to skip a period, you may use your pills continuously by not taking a break or any reminder pills.
I'm closing this thread to avoid confusion since it's an old one. If anybody has any similar issues they want advice on please feel free to make a new post. :smile:

Latest